The Student Room Group

Does anyone think whatever illness you have only God can cure it?

Like of course there are loads of things that doctors can cure like cancer and things you can manage but not cure like genetic conditions and if that impacts your ability to do other things like gain weight then doctors can't cure that only God knows why he gave that condition to you and there is nothing you can do to change how he made you. Even for mental health, you can have therapy and it may not help and whatever illness you have God gave it to you.
Reply 1
Absolutely not, and it is a very 'submissive' way of thinking.

Your own power of thinking can turbo charge your immune system, and help you recover. Doctors with molecular understanding can also cure you now of some genetic diseases and research ensures that list is growing.

Your own mental health can be improved by the logic of your thinking, and changes in diet.

We have no control over the exact time of our death. Our genetic makeup is a blue print for our predisposition to disease but not a definitive predictor that we will have that disease. If you are going to die not much can be done - and that is not necessarily due to God or any other spiritual force.
Reply 2
Original post by Anony345533
Like of course there are loads of things that doctors can cure like cancer and things you can manage but not cure like genetic conditions and if that impacts your ability to do other things like gain weight then doctors can't cure that only God knows why he gave that condition to you and there is nothing you can do to change how he made you. Even for mental health, you can have therapy and it may not help and whatever illness you have God gave it to you.

As God knows the future (even determines it), then only that outcome is possible and it cannot change. Therefore, any treatment is useless in the face of God's infallible knowledge, will and decree.
Original post by WADR
As God knows the future (even determines it), then only that outcome is possible and it cannot change. Therefore, any treatment is useless in the face of God's infallible knowledge, will and decree.

How does this process work for atheists, or those that follow other belief systems?
Assuming someone believes in God then yes, by extension they must believe that God is powerful enough to cure any illness if he wants to. However, even most religious people don’t have this level of faith and so will still seek medical attention and suffer for a long time or for life if they can’t be cured of whatever it is.
Reply 5
Original post by Admit-One
How does this process work for atheists, or those that follow other belief systems?

Don't think it does, as it requires belief in God (the monotheistic, Abrahamic version).
Belief systems with gods that each perform different roles and have different abilities, or no gods, or no belief system don't really fit.
Of course.

Heaven is a cure, right?
Reply 7
Original post by Sorcerer of Old
However, even most religious people don’t have this level of faith and so will still seek medical attention and suffer for a long time or for life if they can’t be cured of whatever it is.

As Muhammad said - "Trust in Allah, but tether your camel".
Original post by WADR
Don't think it does, as it requires belief in God (the monotheistic, Abrahamic version).
Belief systems with gods that each perform different roles and have different abilities, or no gods, or no belief system don't really fit.

Like some kind of faith-based private healthcare system :smile:
Original post by Anony345533

I kinda see things that way, in that I acknowledge that nothing but God is likely to ever completely eradicate my psychosis (though equally, I have very grudgingly accepted that curing me is not God's will or plan for me). As others have pointed out, that doesn't mean there aren't things that help somewhat, or ways in which I can support myself. So in my case, whilst I have abandoned any hope of ever being 'cured', I do try and do a few things to keep myself afloat. I find the notion of redemptive suffering quite helpful personally, though I can see how it can be used/taught/preached in very bad ways :yes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending