The Student Room Group

Dissertation help!!

Currently doing my dissertation but struggling with the methodology part of it. I have done an online survey with both open and closed questions. I had written down this as mixed methods as qual and quant research but my supervisor is unsure I would get away with this unless I could really justify it. I'm unsure the more I've read around the area too!
"I have done an online survey with both open and closed questions. I had written down this as mixed methods as qual and quant research"

Surveys can be both quant and qual. It sounds like you need to unpick this further within your methodology chapter to explain why.

Quant is where you count things or score things
so with your questions have respondents been asked to say YES or NO (eg "25% said Yes and 75% said No)
or scale their reply from 1-5 along the lines of Strongly Agree etc etc (eg "25% strongly agreed with the statement)
This is quant. data but of course you then have to analyse the data - why did 25% say YES? - so this is interpretive and qual analysis.

(there is a distinction in research between methods for collecting data and methods for analysing data - have you addressed that?)

It becomes also qual if you have put in text boxes where respondents give add answers or additional info such as their reasons for why they gave certain answers - this is definitely qual data. You could still count things here ("how many respondents mentioned such-and-such") but usually you are searching for meaning in this kind of data, therefore qual analysis.

Hope this helps rather than confuses things!

Can you access REAL WORLD RESEARCH by Colin Robson? It's a very good methodology book.
Reply 2
I've asked yes/no questions with the opportunity to further their answer as to why they chose that one. Used one scale question. I only have a couple of open questions as to their perceptions on certain matters. My supervisor suggested saying its a mixed method survey instead of research? I never got picked up on it by the proposal committee so makes me think it may be ok as long as I can try and justify it! I'll take a look at that book thanks, also got told Creswell is a good book.

Not sure what exactly you mean about the collecting and analysing of data part?

Thanks for your help!
Original post by Kat 2001
Currently doing my dissertation but struggling with the methodology part of it. I have done an online survey with both open and closed questions. I had written down this as mixed methods as qual and quant research but my supervisor is unsure I would get away with this unless I could really justify it. I'm unsure the more I've read around the area too!

You can also reach reach me for quick assistance

Methods for collecting / gathering primary data include things like interviews, questionnaires, and surveys.

Methods for analysing that data include things like thematic analysis, discourse analysis.

So what methodological techniques are you going to use when you examine the data that comes back from your questionnaire?

My supervisor suggested saying its a mixed method survey instead of research?

I don't understand this point. You are undertaking research using the survey technique. perhaps its the use of the "mixed method" that is problematic. If you are only using the survey, then is that perhaps a single method?

Maybe you should do a bit more reading into surveys as a research method in those methodology books - it might help you straighten things out in your head.
Reply 5
Original post by cheadle

Methods for collecting / gathering primary data include things like interviews, questionnaires, and surveys.

Methods for analysing that data include things like thematic analysis, discourse analysis.

So what methodological techniques are you going to use when you examine the data that comes back from your questionnaire?

My supervisor suggested saying its a mixed method survey instead of research?

I don't understand this point. You are undertaking research using the survey technique. perhaps its the use of the "mixed method" that is problematic. If you are only using the survey, then is that perhaps a single method?

Maybe you should do a bit more reading into surveys as a research method in those methodology books - it might help you straighten things out in your head.

Ah, using SPSS to analyse the quantitative data and another software for qualitative. Trying to figure the software out first! Yes, its the mixed methods part that is the issue... will continue to research! The whole comment about it threw me

Quick Reply