The Student Room Group

Complaint

Hi all. Can anyone tell me what the next steps after a formal complaint to the university?
Original post by SueBoo1
Hi all. Can anyone tell me what the next steps after a formal complaint to the university?

What steps have you already taken? (It's difficult to know what would be "next" if we don't know what's gone before). You say "a formal complaint", but that doesn't reveal a lot. Are you looking to appeal a decision? Or take your complaint to a "higher" body?

Which university? (Different universities will have different complaints/appeals procedures.)

What is the general nature of your complaint? (It could be that you're an existing student complaining about the accomodation, or the teaching, or the catering, or your degree classification; it would equally be that you're a potential student complaining about the admissions process). This is important as the complaints / appeals procedure may well vary for each of the above.
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
What steps have you already taken? (It's difficult to know what would be "next" if we don't know what's gone before). You say "a formal complaint", but that doesn't reveal a lot. Are you looking to appeal a decision? Or take your complaint to a "higher" body?

Which university? (Different universities will have different complaints/appeals procedures.)

What is the general nature of your complaint? (It could be that you're an existing student complaining about the accomodation, or the teaching, or the catering, or your degree classification; it would equally be that you're a potential student complaining about the admissions process). This is important as the complaints / appeals procedure may well vary for each of the above.

Hi DataVenia,
I attended University of south wales for my degree (result - 83% first), and the same issues were there, but the lecturers were incredibly helpful and sorted any issues. Now am doing MBA, most of previous lecturers have left, we haven't had timetables until 3-4weeks into term (this and last term), stand in lecturers say they don't know subject, some lectures/workshops cancelled when we are in class room, missing or no course information available on black board, assignments for one module due at same time, so no feed back or opportunity to correct, results not returned within dates (still waiting for results for assignments submitted in December) etc.
I have gone through the system and submitted a formal complaint to the Uni 5 weeks ago, policy states they will respond within 10 working days.
Original post by SueBoo1
Hi DataVenia,
I attended University of south wales for my degree (result - 83% first), and the same issues were there, but the lecturers were incredibly helpful and sorted any issues. Now am doing MBA, most of previous lecturers have left, we haven't had timetables until 3-4weeks into term (this and last term), stand in lecturers say they don't know subject, some lectures/workshops cancelled when we are in class room, missing or no course information available on black board, assignments for one module due at same time, so no feed back or opportunity to correct, results not returned within dates (still waiting for results for assignments submitted in December) etc.
I have gone through the system and submitted a formal complaint to the Uni 5 weeks ago, policy states they will respond within 10 working days.

Where did you read that the "policy states they will respond within 10 working days"?

Have you read the Student Complaints - Frequently Asked Questions? It says, "You should receive a response within 40 working days of submission of your complaint." If you're at the 5-week mark, then you're only just past half-way through that timeline, which itself may be extended.

I'm not sure it would be reasonable to move onto the next step yet.

The FAQs document also talks through other aspects of the process, including the appointment of an Investigating Officer, who will meet with you. Has that happened yet?
Original post by SueBoo1
Hi DataVenia,

Presumably, then, everyone else in your cohort has exactly the same complaints. What have your coursemates done regarding these issues? Did your course rep get involved?
Original post by Reality Check
Presumably, then, everyone else in your cohort has exactly the same complaints. What have your coursemates done regarding these issues? Did your course rep get involved?

My thoughts also @Reality Check. This is something that could/should have been raised through the class rep and staff/student committee, the minutes of which pass up to the senior management team for actioning.

Quick Reply

Latest