The Student Room Group

Is pharmacy a good degree

For all the pharmacy students/ pharmacists I want to study pharmacy but I want to know how is the degree like and are the career opportunities good or would u say medicine/dentistry is better
Original post by Rohan007best
For all the pharmacy students/ pharmacists I want to study pharmacy but I want to know how is the degree like and are the career opportunities good or would u say medicine/dentistry is better

Overall medicine and dentistry would be harder than pharmacy, but pharmacy is still hard. I'd say you'd have you spend a lot more time studying and memorising things in medicine. The drop out rate for medicine is high. If you don't want to risk it and uncertain, I believe you should go for pharmacy. :smile:
Original post by Rohan007best

Hi @Rohan007best

Pharmacy is very hands on and the degree is jus like this. It is very science and maths focused and if you like the two subjects, pharmacy is a great subject to study. At the University of Huddersfield, you'll be able to combine the theory of science with developing and applying practical and professional skills.
You learn about all the different types of drugs and medications which patients take and clinical knowledge regarding this. You take part in OSCEs which mirrors the role of a pharmacist and also have tutorials which discusses patient communication and communicating effectively with them as well as other healthcare professionals. You also have the opportunity to take part in lab classes where you can make different formulations such as creams, pastes and syrups!

The modules we study in first year are:
Pharmacy Practice
Pharmaceutical Chemistry
Human Physiology and Pathology
Formulation and Compounding of Medicines
Scientific Basis of Drug Action.

You may want to visit https://courses.hud.ac.uk/full-time/undergraduate/pharmacy-mpharm for more information :smile:

I hope this has been helpful!
Please don't hesitate to ask any questions :smile:
Aaliya ~ 4th year pharmacy student ~ University of Huddersfield
Reply 3
In terms of pharmacy. there's a lot of chemistry and biology of course. so you'll need to be strong in those. if you're naturally good at maths then you'll find the math side of things easy. I know some students that dread the calculation exams and some dont revise and pass fine.
I'm 3rd yr Mpharm rn. so from what I've gathered, you will be employed by the end. there's plenty of jobs out there. of course most of the are in community but there are other opportunities out there, however more competitive. but a job you'll get (most likely community). you might see people talking about saturation and whatnot online, but it's not as bad as they make it out, and with the state of the world a lot of job sectors are in the mud including medicine.

but let's be honest, medicine and dentistry definitely more hands on, more challenging and maybe more enjoyable. the earning potential with those degrees is much higher. the responsibility that a doctor holds is a lot more, which can either be fulfilling for you or turn you off.

TLDR
but back to your main question. I would say the opportunities are about equal, not so sure about dentistry. if you can get into medicine defo go for it and if you don't like it you can fall back on pharmacy. some people do pharmacy and find it not fulfilling enough and do more years at uni with medicine.

obviously this is my take on things as a 3rd year Mpharm student

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending