The Student Room Group

human kidneys aren't located where they used to be

why are they so high up now. they used to be in the lower back area, at least that's how i remember it, i know i'm not the only one, ive seen people talk about this too
the matrix might be real after all :<

Reply 1
The picture piques my curiosity. Every day, I wonder more and more 'how do short people function?'

I know their organs are probably smaller but my gosh, where's the space if things are so squished inside? They're already small. And do much taller people feel things jiggle around? Surely, organs can't grow that large to fill them up.

I'm rambling because I'm sleepy.
Reply 2
Which generation this started happening to?
Reply 3
That looks about where they've always been, to me.
i think on simplified diagrams kidneys used to be shown lower down, just so all the organs could be easily depicted. but that wasn't rly accurate
Reply 5
I thought kidneys were more down by the pelvis. Why are they up by the lungs...
I have almost no biology knowledge but ngl I thought they were way lower too
Reply 7
Original post by DarylO
The picture piques my curiosity. Every day, I wonder more and more 'how do short people function?'

I know their organs are probably smaller but my gosh, where's the space if things are so squished inside? They're already small. And do much taller people feel things jiggle around? Surely, organs can't grow that large to fill them up.

they can't 'jiggle' bc connective tissues hold them in place
Reply 8
Original post by xox416
Which generation this started happening to?

idk, all generations i guess?
Reply 9
Original post by Ciel.
they can't 'jiggle' bc connective tissues hold them in place

Ohhhh. Makes sense. The human body is fascinating
Reply 10
Original post by gjd800
That looks about where they've always been, to me.

really? thats not where i remember them to be. its so odd
Reply 11
Original post by xox416
I thought kidneys were more down by the pelvis. Why are they up by the lungs...

idk. how come they can give you lower back pain then
Maybe you could have a look at the OG Grays Anatomy illustrations which are well over 100 years old. They show the kidneys pretty much where the same place

I don’t think there’s a problem with the pictures - I think you are completely misjudging the position of the pelvis relative to the rest of that diagram.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 13
Original post by Trinculo
Maybe you could have a look at the OG Grays Anatomy illustrations which are well over 100 years old. They show the kidneys pretty much where the same place

but that's the thing. it's like everything's been changed. even old stuff.
Original post by Ciel.
idk. how come they can give you lower back pain then

my cousin has kidney issues and he's always touching his lower side in pain. Lol.
Original post by DarylO

Same way babies and ants function

Have a nice sleep
Original post by Awaitingquavers
Same way babies and ants function

Have a nice sleep

That's a very good analogy. I don't know what my sleepy brain was going through but I thought the world was imploding lmaooo. Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest