The Student Room Group

Nursing interview

Hi guys,

I was just wondering what to expect from a children’s nursing interview? I’ve made a post saying I got the interview but never really asked what to fully expect, even though I did get a few pointers. I have one interview at the University of Wolverhampton which includes a foundation year and it’s my last chance as I’ve been declined from all my other choices due to my bad GCSEs. (only now just found out they were bad because I had untreated mental and physical health issues which caused me to miss school a lot.)

I have a handful of answers in my head however I’m just curious about the questions I may not have thought about (specifically scenario ones!) as well as ones that may not relate to nursing I may receive. I have a few certificates from online nursing courses I could also present which I actually forgot to put on UCAS.

Thanks!
Hey! I personally didn’t apply for Wolverhampton but I have done 4 interviews for other universities and have gotten 2 offers so far so I’ll just share some tips and questions that I’ve been asked.

-First of all, know why you want to be a child nurse. 3/4 of my interviews asked me why I wanted to be a child nurse so it’s important that you know why you want to go into the profession.

- Secondly, know what a child nurse does. If you aren’t sure you can easily google it, go on the NHS website or what videos from nursing. Have a really good understanding of this so you can go into a lot of detail as it shows that you prepared yourself and it shows that you’ve done your research into the topic

- know the nursing values as well as the 6cs. I doubt you’ll be asked about this directly but it’ll be good if you could add that stuff into the conversation if it seems relevant and appropriate.

-for the scenario questions, there isn’t really a way to prepare for them because they could honestly ask you about anything and anyone. However when you’re answering the scenario, make sure you justify why you’re doing what you’re doing. I would argue that the interviewers care more about your reasoning then finding the “perfect” response to the question. The scenario questions that I’ve been asked seemed to be looking for either empathy, problem-solving skills or communication

- know about the problems that the NHS are facing right now (can mention the strikes). If you can find a specific child nursing issue then definitely read up about it

-the uni could ask you about how you’ve prepared for the course and at this point it would be a great time to mention your certificates.

- if the interview is online then don’t be too worried if it’s short. One of my interviews was scheduled for being 30 minutes. I only took 10 but i still got an offer so don’t worry about the time

Good luck with everything 🫶
Reply 2
mine went so quickly as well cause i was so nervous , i hope they still offer me a place : ( (Original post by georgiana_xox)
Hey! I personally didn’t apply for Wolverhampton but I have done 4 interviews for other universities and have gotten 2 offers so far so I’ll just share some tips and questions that I’ve been asked.

-First of all, know why you want to be a child nurse. 3/4 of my interviews asked me why I wanted to be a child nurse so it’s important that you know why you want to go into the profession.

- Secondly, know what a child nurse does. If you aren’t sure you can easily google it, go on the NHS website or what videos from nursing. Have a really good understanding of this so you can go into a lot of detail as it shows that you prepared yourself and it shows that you’ve done your research into the topic

- know the nursing values as well as the 6cs. I doubt you’ll be asked about this directly but it’ll be good if you could add that stuff into the conversation if it seems relevant and appropriate.

-for the scenario questions, there isn’t really a way to prepare for them because they could honestly ask you about anything and anyone. However when you’re answering the scenario, make sure you justify why you’re doing what you’re doing. I would argue that the interviewers care more about your reasoning then finding the “perfect” response to the question. The scenario questions that I’ve been asked seemed to be looking for either empathy, problem-solving skills or communication

- know about the problems that the NHS are facing right now (can mention the strikes). If you can find a specific child nursing issue then definitely read up about it

-the uni could ask you about how you’ve prepared for the course and at this point it would be a great time to mention your certificates.

- if the interview is online then don’t be too worried if it’s short. One of my interviews was scheduled for being 30 minutes. I only took 10 but i still got an offer so don’t worry about the time

Good luck with everything 🫶
Original post by calamaricaity
Hi guys,

I was just wondering what to expect from a children’s nursing interview? I’ve made a post saying I got the interview but never really asked what to fully expect, even though I did get a few pointers. I have one interview at the University of Wolverhampton which includes a foundation year and it’s my last chance as I’ve been declined from all my other choices due to my bad GCSEs. (only now just found out they were bad because I had untreated mental and physical health issues which caused me to miss school a lot.)

I have a handful of answers in my head however I’m just curious about the questions I may not have thought about (specifically scenario ones!) as well as ones that may not relate to nursing I may receive. I have a few certificates from online nursing courses I could also present which I actually forgot to put on UCAS.

Thanks!

Hi there,

Congratulations on your interview!

I realise that your interview is with another university but I thought I would reply to your forum post as we have recently worked with one of our Children's Nursing students, Ruth Jones, to put together some tips for the Nursing Application and interview. The full blog is readily available on Wrexham Glyndwr University's website but some of the key points are:

1. Have your reason why- think about why you want to be a nurse, and what is it about nursing that makes you want to enter the profession.
2. Consider the skills and qualities that make a good nurse- ask yourself why these skills and qualities are important, and how you have demonstrated them.
3. Gain experience- this does not have to be in a healthcare setting as long as it involves communicating with others, showing empathy, working in a team, time management, or organisation.
4. Have an understanding of the demands involved in nursing- it’s important to demonstrate that you have an awareness of the challenging nature of the course and that you have considered how you manage stress.
5. Look at the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC) Standards- research the NMC Code so you will get an idea of the expectations of nurses working in modern-day healthcare.
6. Practice answering interview questions- this could be with a friend or family member, or even just in front of a mirror practice will help you get used to speaking out loud.
7. Prepare to ask questions- try to think of some questions to ask at the end of the interview, as this shows you are genuinely interested in studying nursing at this university.
8. Last but not least: be yourself, smile, and dress professionally- this will highlight your enthusiasm for the course and show that you are taking your application seriously

I wish you luck on your interview and hopefully some of these tips are useful!

Best wishes,

Maddy
WrexhamUniReps
Original post by sara is
mine went so quickly as well cause i was so nervous , i hope they still offer me a place : ( (Original post by georgiana_xox)

I’m sure the timing won’t be as big as a factor as you think! As long as you were able to answer the questions well the timing doesn’t matter at all i promise 🫶 Good luck and please keep me updated i’d love to know how you got on (DMs are always open 🤍)
It’s refreshing to see Glyndwr not go on about those trite six Cs of nursing. I’d much rather hear a student tell me what values they thing are important to nurses them memorise a gimmick from a former chief nurse.

However, you guys have to play the game in your interviews, so it’s wise to learn them.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending