The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham catered colleges ranked?!? :o

Heyo everyone,
New to the Durham scene here - got an offer for 2023. For first year I am looking for catered accommodation, and with the new ranking system I thought I may as well rank all colleges - any help!
I am from a generic ol state school, so the old colleges and and gowned formals really appeal, as I have no experience of gowns etc. The Bailey seems really nice, as well as the location being seperate from science area (I'm taking Earth Science degree) so I can have a 'work-life' divide instead of living next to my department.

Mostly though I am looking for a small communal vibe that doesn't take themselves too seriously/too cliquey. I am a big on music and would like to join a band, so colleges that do stuff like music would be cool. Although Durham is a lot of 'Oxbridge rejects' so its unavoidable, I'm trying to avoid colleges known for snobbiness (Hatfield?) I also play football, but I don't really want my college to be characterised by die hard sportsmen (Collingwood?).
Judging off this loose criteria, can any Durham people comment on my list? This is what I've got based off two open days, and chatting to students.

st. chads
st. john’s
castle
mary’s
st cuth
trev
grey
van mildert
st aidans
collingwood
hatfield

(Hope I havent offended anyone sorry lol). Thanks a lot :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
Mostly though I am looking for a small communal vibe that doesn't take themselves too seriously/too cliquey.

you chose the wrong uni then
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
My son is at Trevs, known as the friendly college, and loves it. Quirky hexagonal buildings, and all under one roof so you can go to breakfast in your slippers! He has experienced no classism there, and people don't take themselves too seriously, and they are one of the smaller colleges. They have loads of clubs and societies, I would definitely recommend
Original post by ajl1972
My son is at Trevs, known as the friendly college, and loves it. Quirky hexagonal buildings, and all under one roof so you can go to breakfast in your slippers! He has experienced no classism there, and people don't take themselves too seriously, and they are one of the smaller colleges. They have loads of clubs and societies, I would definitely recommend

Hi, thanks! I was looking online for any virtual tours of trevs etc but couldn't find any, so there wasn't much info on it. Do the majority of Trevs share rooms or have singles, and also does he find it too far away from town?
Reply 4
Hi, thanks! I was looking online for any virtual tours of trevs etc but couldn't find any, so there wasn't much info on it. Do the majority of Trevs share rooms or have singles, and also does he find it too far away from town?

Hi, there are 225 1st yr rooms, of which 19 are shared. (it you look on Durham universities college page, there is a link called compare colleges, this gives you all the stats for the colleges- https://www.durham.ac.uk/colleges-and-student-experience/colleges/#d.en.467132 ) . He doesn't find it too far from town at all, it is closer to town than many of the other hill colleges, and very close to all the science site buildings
Heyo everyone,
New to the Durham scene here - got an offer for 2023. For first year I am looking for catered accommodation, and with the new ranking system I thought I may as well rank all colleges - any help!
I am from a generic ol state school, so the old colleges and and gowned formals really appeal, as I have no experience of gowns etc. The Bailey seems really nice, as well as the location being seperate from science area (I'm taking Earth Science degree) so I can have a 'work-life' divide instead of living next to my department.

Mostly though I am looking for a small communal vibe that doesn't take themselves too seriously/too cliquey. I am a big on music and would like to join a band, so colleges that do stuff like music would be cool. Although Durham is a lot of 'Oxbridge rejects' so its unavoidable, I'm trying to avoid colleges known for snobbiness (Hatfield?) I also play football, but I don't really want my college to be characterised by die hard sportsmen (Collingwood?).
Judging off this loose criteria, can any Durham people comment on my list? This is what I've got based off two open days, and chatting to students.

st. chads
st. john’s
castle
mary’s
st cuth
trev
grey
van mildert
st aidans
collingwood
hatfield

(Hope I havent offended anyone sorry lol). Thanks a lot :smile:

Ideally, you want a college that is conveniently located (the bailey colleges), and seeing that you are interested in music, Hatfield is probs your best bet. They have their own college choir, and a jazz band called 'Kinky Jeffs and the Swingers' which professionally plays at numerous different durham uni and external events. The football initiation at Hatfield is quite rowdy (and fun) tho.
Reply 6
Ideally, you want a college that is conveniently located (the bailey colleges), and seeing that you are interested in music, Hatfield is probs your best bet. They have their own college choir, and a jazz band called 'Kinky Jeffs and the Swingers' which professionally plays at numerous different durham uni and external events. The football initiation at Hatfield is quite rowdy (and fun) tho.

Thanks for the info! If you don't mind me asking, Hatfield is known for having a reputation of sadly being quite judgy/looks down upon others. Can I ask what your experiences has been of this :smile:
Reply 7
Thanks for the info! If you don't mind me asking, Hatfield is known for having a reputation of sadly being quite judgy/looks down upon others. Can I ask what your experiences has been of this :smile:

It's not really a reputation it's more so a stereotype, AND IT'S NOT TRUE!

I love being at Hatfield.
These reputations/stereotypes do not exist, really not difficult to understand why.
A) Durham would need personality testing for every offer holder.
B) Then segregate each similar individual to a shared college.
I do not believe they watch that much reality TV, who knows.
(edited 11 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest