The Student Room Group

Is this enough veterinary medicine work experience

1 week lambing
1 week small animal practice
0.4 week small animal practice
1 week farm
1 possibly 2 weeks stables
0.6 week Turkey farm

I can’t find a large animal vet and all the equine vets won’t accept me !

I also have lots of non vet related work experience (primary school for 9 months, primary school level tutor for 10 months, volunteer at a charity shop for 1 year)
Most vet schools are more concerned what you have gained from your work experience rather than how much. Some do have requirements so definitely check those before applying. Any that have requirements generally like the work experience in hours and you will need references for them all.

With covid, vet schools have relaxed their WEX requirements but they could change back so definitely keep an eye. I believe only one of the vet schools actually has a requirement for large animal specifically most just want some clinical no matter what it is x
Original post by Milliewest2
1 week lambing
1 week farm
0.6 week Turkey farm

I also have lots of non vet related work experience (primary school for 9 months, primary school level tutor for 10 months, volunteer at a charity shop for 1 year)

That is lot yes, but the non vet related work experience won't count to anything, you may be able to put it in your personal statement, but that's it. If I were you, I'd get more small animal clinic experience. I wouldn't worry about not getting large animal or equine, its not needed. Like ALEreapp said, make sure you meet the requirements set by unis.
When you do clinical experience, make notes and research any interesting cases you see, so that you are prepared if they ask you in your interview.
Original post by boomsicles48
That is lot yes, but the non vet related work experience won't count to anything, you may be able to put it in your personal statement, but that's it. If I were you, I'd get more small animal clinic experience. I wouldn't worry about not getting large animal or equine, its not needed. Like ALEreapp said, make sure you meet the requirements set by unis.
When you do clinical experience, make notes and research any interesting cases you see, so that you are prepared if they ask you in your interview.

Thank you ! I have 1 week free in summer that I can use for work experience but just trying to decide as I know most unis require 2 weeks clinical so I will defo get some more clinical but I was trying to get large animal clinical but not sure if it will work out. I could scrape together the time for another week somewhere and if so it would be either a wildlife sanctuary or a cattery/ kennel. Which would you recommend ?
Thanks so much for replying
Original post by ALEreapp
Most vet schools are more concerned what you have gained from your work experience rather than how much. Some do have requirements so definitely check those before applying. Any that have requirements generally like the work experience in hours and you will need references for them all.

With covid, vet schools have relaxed their WEX requirements but they could change back so definitely keep an eye. I believe only one of the vet schools actually has a requirement for large animal specifically most just want some clinical no matter what it is x

Thank you ! I have references for all so far and notes on all of them so I remember what I did. I will calculate now what I have in hours so far but I have maximum 2 weeks of time left to dedicate for work experience in summer which I could add on.
1 week lambing
1 week farm
0.6 week Turkey farm

In hours I have done between 190 and 235 as of now (it’s varied as the stables is weekly volunteering so not sure how much it will end up being overall !). And then I have the 1/2 weeks in summer which will add up to maximum 310 hours.
Thank you ! I have 1 week free in summer that I can use for work experience but just trying to decide as I know most unis require 2 weeks clinical so I will defo get some more clinical but I was trying to get large animal clinical but not sure if it will work out. I could scrape together the time for another week somewhere and if so it would be either a wildlife sanctuary or a cattery/ kennel. Which would you recommend ?
Thanks so much for replying

I would say if you can get large animal, great. If not its really no biggie, just make sure you have small animal.
Personally I don't know much about wex at wildlife sanctuaries/cattery, but you seem to have a lot of non-clinical already, so I would use that same week to do it in a clinic, even if its the same clinic that's okay.

Also I saw that you have plenty of work experience, that's more than enough. Have a summer holiday, and relax! you don't need that much. As long as you have more than the minimum you are fine.
Very few people do large animal practice because of insurance reasons they don't really take under 18s and they usually focus on taking actual vet students. I don't have any friends in my cohort who did it so don't stress.

If you can get a little more small animal practice that would be really good; I think most people do about two weeks. With that, I think you would have a really optimal collection of work experience.

If you had extra time after that: dairy maybe, kennels/cattery, or something exoticy?

But I think it's all looking good so far. :smile:
Just to echo what others said, don't worry about large animal vets as it is very difficult to get, sometimes even as a vet student. I would aim to have at least 2 weeks at a vet practice, unfortunately some unis can be pretty strict as I've heard someone getting like 67 hours clinical instead of 70 and getting rejected purely because of that. I'm not up to date on all the requirements these days though, just pre-covid all would ask for 2 weeks clinical and 2-4 weeks preclinical so I'd aim for that to be on the safe side. I think you've got a really nice variety though. Other than ensuring your clinical meets the requirements, if you have more time and want to do more then perhaps try some small animal non-clinical like a groomers, shelter, kennels etc, but I wouldn't say it's necessary as you've ticked most of the boxes they look for.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending