The Student Room Group

Lower Predicted Grades

Has anyone got offers for courses where they haven't met entry requirements with their predicted grades?
Ideally, no, this doesn’t happen. Unis will reject you immediately if you don’t meet the entry requirements listed. The only way they might lower requirements is if your application is flagged as contextual, or you’ve done a foundation year/access course/something similar.
Original post by sleep_supremacy
Ideally, no, this doesn’t happen. Unis will reject you immediately if you don’t meet the entry requirements listed. The only way they might lower requirements is if your application is flagged as contextual, or you’ve done a foundation year/access course/something similar.

This isnt true. Many universities make reach offers to allow students to exceed predictions and accept grades below on results day. It is a question of supply and demand. If a uni is oversubscribed they will reject but many dont fill their spaces so accept lower grades. This is why students are advised to go for 1 choice above predicted grades.
Original post by studenther
Has anyone got offers for courses where they haven't met entry requirements with their predicted grades?

There are some instances where this is allowed. Some schools don’t predict A* grades, so if this is indicated on the application in the reference or otherwise by the school itself, you could get into somewhere requiring A*AA or A*A*A with AAA predicted.
Generally speaking within 1 grade of the requirements you are fine as a more aspirational choice, (the typical advice is to have one or two riskier choices). 2 or more grades below is increasingly risky, as you still need to meet the offer even if you get one.
Original post by swanseajack1
This isnt true. Many universities make reach offers to allow students to exceed predictions and accept grades below on results day. It is a question of supply and demand. If a uni is oversubscribed they will reject but many dont fill their spaces so accept lower grades. This is why students are advised to go for 1 choice above predicted grades.

Thanks for clarifying :smile: The safe-reach-exceed model just completely slipped my mind :redface: I should probably get some sleep :tongue:
I applied with ABBD predicted grades (With the D in chem) to computer science at York which had AAA requirements, and I got an offer
I’m not contextual either
Original post by sleep_supremacy
Ideally, no, this doesn’t happen. Unis will reject you immediately if you don’t meet the entry requirements listed.

Utter rubbish.

Many Unis make offers to those with 'below grades' - on the basis that the applicant may get the required grades in August through hard work.

Its why we always advise applicants to have 1 or even 2 choices just above their predicted grades, 2 or 3 at their predicted grades and 1 well below their predicted grades.

However, GCSE grades are another matter - if you apply to a course requiring GCSE Maths grade 6 and you done have that, you do risk an immediate rejection.

'How to Avoid 5 Rejections' - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/apply/how-to-avoid-getting-five-university-rejections
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending