The Student Room Group

Mazars School Leaver Apprenticeship (Privately Owned Business)

Hi, this is my first post and I'm quite new to Student room.
Basically, I have been offered a tax role at Mazars but have the choice between tax or audit. I have spent hours researching between the two and the benefits, drawback of each etc. I have no idea what to choose.
The problem is, I don't have enough base knowledge on both to know the actual day to day tasks. I know that auditing is more travelling and face to face, whereas tax can be more remote and is more office based. I know auditing has better career opportunities and had more varied progression compared to tax. I also know that tax is more suited to those wanting to create their own firm. I have read varied opinions on which is actually more enjoyable. I'm not sure if I would be the type to want a more office based role or a role with more travelling.
I would greatly appreciate those with experience to give me a bit of advice on what I should consider with the deduction etc and maybe those that have worked at Mazars would be able to tell me a thing or two.
Thank you in advance.
Which exams would you study for under each route?
Reply 2
Original post by ajj2000
Which exams would you study for under each route?

For tax, it would be a joint CTA - ACA qualification, whereas for audit it will just be ACA.
Original post by Garry2673
For tax, it would be a joint CTA - ACA qualification, whereas for audit it will just be ACA.

Ah, cool - many congratulations! You have good options!

When I trained (30 years ago) I went for audit as it leaves more options open and you can move to tax should you wish to do so. I think I would still tend to do the same (CTA is genuinely very tough - and I prefer to leave future paths open). One differentiator could be whether you prefer to mainly work in the same office, or to travel to client sites for some/ most of the time.
Reply 4
Original post by ajj2000
Ah, cool - many congratulations! You have good options!

When I trained (30 years ago) I went for audit as it leaves more options open and you can move to tax should you wish to do so. I think I would still tend to do the same (CTA is genuinely very tough - and I prefer to leave future paths open). One differentiator could be whether you prefer to mainly work in the same office, or to travel to client sites for some/ most of the time.

I really appreciate the responses. And thank you very much for the kind words. To be honest I was in shock when I received the job offer ๐Ÿ˜‚.

The more time Iโ€™ve had to think about it, I think I would prefer being in the office slightly more. I have also heard that audit is much more boring compared to fax. Would you agree with this?

I really appreciate the responses ๐Ÿ‘
I really appreciate the responses. And thank you very much for the kind words. To be honest I was in shock when I received the job offer ๐Ÿ˜‚.

The more time Iโ€™ve had to think about it, I think I would prefer being in the office slightly more. I have also heard that audit is much more boring compared to fax. Would you agree with this?

I really appreciate the responses ๐Ÿ‘

just as a thought - you would get more responses on either the apprenticeships or careers/ finance and accounting boards. Could one of the moderators move the thread to somewhere more suitable?
Reply 6
Original post by ajj2000
just as a thought - you would get more responses on either the apprenticeships or careers/ finance and accounting boards. Could one of the moderators move the thread to somewhere more suitable?

Thank you for the suggestion. Iโ€™ve tried posting the same message onto another board which is something to do with careers
Thank you for the suggestion. Iโ€™ve tried posting the same message onto another board which is something to do with careers

Cool!

I wouldn't be shy about DMing people who started apprenticeships - say 2 years ago so they have spent some time - to get their input. They may no longer post on the accounting or apprenticeships forums but are more likely to respond to DMs.
Reply 8
Original post by ajj2000
Cool!

I wouldn't be shy about DMing people who started apprenticeships - say 2 years ago so they have spent some time - to get their input. They may no longer post on the accounting or apprenticeships forums but are more likely to respond to DMs.

Thank you for the suggestion ๐Ÿ‘
Reply 9
Hi, this is my first post and I'm quite new to Student room.
Basically, I have been offered a tax role at Mazars but have the choice between tax or audit. I have spent hours researching between the two and the benefits, drawback of each etc. I have no idea what to choose.
The problem is, I don't have enough base knowledge on both to know the actual day to day tasks. I know that auditing is more travelling and face to face, whereas tax can be more remote and is more office based. I know auditing has better career opportunities and had more varied progression compared to tax. I also know that tax is more suited to those wanting to create their own firm. I have read varied opinions on which is actually more enjoyable. I'm not sure if I would be the type to want a more office based role or a role with more travelling.
I would greatly appreciate those with experience to give me a bit of advice on what I should consider with the deduction etc and maybe those that have worked at Mazars would be able to tell me a thing or two.
Thank you in advance.

Hi, I know its been a few months but did you complete a virtual assessment to get the job, if so, how did you find the presentation?
Reply 10
Original post by kamilahali
Hi, I know its been a few months but did you complete a virtual assessment to get the job, if so, how did you find the presentation?

same i wanted to know too haha, when are you doing yours?

Latest