The Student Room Group

Surrey vs Leicester?

So i dont know which uni to choose, I have gotten offers from both for Bsc Economics.
I've heard that they are both very similar but does anyone know which has a better name in the long run?
Surrey is much more expensive to live and is much farther away from me but I still cant choose. Any advice for me?
If i go Leicester i'm most likely going to change my degree to Financial Economics and Banking since you can change after first year to that. I've also heard the night life is better and that it is much more culturally diverse.
Original post by rayboogie
So i dont know which uni to choose, I have gotten offers from both for Bsc Economics.
I've heard that they are both very similar but does anyone know which has a better name in the long run?
Surrey is much more expensive to live and is much farther away from me but I still cant choose. Any advice for me?
If i go Leicester i'm most likely going to change my degree to Financial Economics and Banking since you can change after first year to that. I've also heard the night life is better and that it is much more culturally diverse.

Hello,

Congratulations on receiving offers from both the University of Surrey and the University of Leicester!

Choosing a university can be a difficult decision, and there are many factors to consider. Ultimately, you should choose the university that you believe will provide you with the best education and overall experience.

As a Surrey representative, I am happy to answer any questions you may have about campus life at Surrey. Our School of Economics is highly regarded for its innovative approach to economics, and we offer a wide range of modules that are taught by experienced academics with both academic and professional backgrounds.

The University of Surrey has a vibrant and diverse student community, with students from over 140 different countries. We also offer a wide range of extracurricular activities and opportunities to develop your skills and interests outside of the classroom.

On campus, we have a nightclub that is popular among students, but there are also plenty of nightlife options available in town. While my friends and I enjoy the nightlife here, it's up to you to make the most of your experience and have fun anywhere you go!

Our location is also a unique advantage, as we are located in the town of Guildford, which is only 30 minutes away from London by train. This offers our students the best of both worlds: a peaceful campus environment and easy access to the exciting opportunities and cultural offerings of the UK's capital city.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you have any further questions or concerns about the University of Surrey, please do not hesitate to reach out to me 😊 Best of luck with your decision and studies!

Thanks,
Sam (she/her)
MSc in Psychology
Original post by rayboogie

I don't doubt that Leicester is more diverse and has a better night life. But Surrey has a stronger economics department, a very good placement year scheme, and so also tends to have better average career outcomes. So it's really about how you value all these different factors.
Hi there!

I've seen that another fellow Surrey representative has already given you a brilliant overview of what Surrey has to offer; however, I thought I'd add to the discussion as I had the exact predicament (for a different degree). I was between Leicester and Surrey (Leicester being very close to home and somewhere I regularly visited, and Surrey being further away).

I found it really useful to visit both on offer holder days and to have taster lectures, meet the academics and get a feel for campus life. More info on Surrey offer holder days can be found here: https://www.surrey.ac.uk/apply/undergraduate/offer-holder-events

Secondly, I looked at the modules on each degree and weighed up which ones interested me the most and therefore which degree aligned more with my future career goals.

Being from Leicester, and now having spent 4 years in Surrey, I would say that the student life in Leicester is a lot more lively, with so much more to do on your doorstep. We do have a few clubs, pubs and plenty of bars in Surrey but a lot of people do head into London at the weekends for things to do. This suited me, personally, as I wanted to be able to go to London, explore a different part of the country, but still have a cosy green town to call home.

In terms of diversity, although Surrey has a hugely diverse student body, Guildford itself is not diverse at all. Leicester has an amazing mix of people across the city and this is reflected in the amazing food and culture in Leicester.

Like you've already mentioned though, Surrey have an amazing placement programme and I'm so glad that I came here to take part in that! I was able to study abroad for a semester in Spain and I did an internship in Paris! You will also have the brilliant opportunity to study/work abroad or do a placement in the UK with the incomparable support of Surrey.

I hope this helps you to make a more educated choice. If you have any more questions about Leicester or Surrey, please do get in touch!

Best wishes,
Alice
Modern Languages Student

Quick Reply

Latest