The Student Room Group

Computer Science

I'm homeschooled and I'm currently taking IGCSE CIE Computer Science (9-1); however, my issue is that the resources are really scarce. This time homeschooling really shows its flaws because I am limited to a tutor but no teacher-made, classroom-ready resources like there would be in a school. There's only 1 set of past papers and a textbook - a nightmare!
I have fairly little time left (~3 months) before my computer science exam but I am genuinely considering switching courses and cram learning everything. I'm confident that I could pull it off with enough effort but it would be majorly inconvenient. I would be aiming for a 9.

1 set of past papers is what makes me most nervous; if I can't get familiar with the style of questions then I will lack that confidence going into the exam, no matter how much revision I do! Although, I must consider the fact that the papers are purely knowledge orientated, and if I learnt everything in the textbook I'd hopefully be fine.

I wonder whether anyone else here is doing the same course and if they have any advice?
I'm about to do the exact same thing. Except I don't even have a tutor. I teach myself with just have a textbook, a set of past papers, examiner reports, and speciment papers. I never really done this type of exam bc I'm homeschoold almost all my life. The internet doesn't really have anything on this. Most websites and videos explain things based on actual school not private
Reply 2
Original post by BraveEagle
I'm about to do the exact same thing. Except I don't even have a tutor. I teach myself with just have a textbook, a set of past papers, examiner reports, and speciment papers. I never really done this type of exam bc I'm homeschoold almost all my life. The internet doesn't really have anything on this. Most websites and videos explain things based on actual school not private

This is a relief to hear! I don't really have a tutor either but he is there if I need him (I hope). I wonder whether you are doing the same course or were you just implying that you're doing the same sort of thing?

It's interesting to hear that you've been homeschooled all your life. I'm going to get in the habit of using examiner reports - thanks for highlighting this. I'd be really interested in your revision/learning strategies as I'm currently re-evaluating the effectiveness of them without that structure I once had in school.

Yes I've found this with how things are taught and resources; the websites don't follow the specification or the textbook, rather it's governed by the style of teaching at school! Oh well, I'm adapting by methodically going through the specification and learning it that way.
I am taking the same course IGCSE Computer Science with the exam board of CIE. I thought I was the only one doing this sort of things. I guess not
Original post by bbenjamin
This is a relief to hear! I don't really have a tutor either but he is there if I need him (I hope). I wonder whether you are doing the same course or were you just implying that you're doing the same sort of thing?

It's interesting to hear that you've been homeschooled all your life. I'm going to get in the habit of using examiner reports - thanks for highlighting this. I'd be really interested in your revision/learning strategies as I'm currently re-evaluating the effectiveness of them without that structure I once had in school.

Yes I've found this with how things are taught and resources; the websites don't follow the specification or the textbook, rather it's governed by the style of teaching at school! Oh well, I'm adapting by methodically going through the specification and learning it that way.
(edited 1 year ago)
The problem for CIE IGCSE Computer Science is that this year is the first sitting of the new spec. Three of my kids (we're a home educating family) took the old spec last summer, and I know November was supposed to be the final sitting of the old spec, so you're literally sitting a brand new spec, thus meaning that yes, there are no past papers for this spec to work with.

I'd advise you to use old spec past papers to give you something to go on, but bear in mind that there may well be some significant differences between the old spec and the new one that you're taking.

Last year my kids studied using the self-paced LearnTec course, found here:
https://learntec.co.uk/
which included an hour of one-to-one session with the tutor via video call as well just to answer any niggling queries (so in our case that meant 3 hours, as I had three kids doing it, so all three kids just sat in on the video calls with her each time).

Of course, LearnTec has now switched to the new spec for both their self paced, and their live online classes. The teacher, Julia, is very accommodating. If you need need a bit of a booster for your studies, I'd suggest you contact her and see if she can help, maybe doing a couple of one-to-one sessions with you (for a price I should imagine).
At this late stage it seems pointless you paying for the whole course, but I'm sure Julia will be able to advise you better.

Quick Reply

Latest