The Student Room Group

Failed one module

So I’m repeating my first year at university of Plymouth, and I barely failed one module (need 40 to pass, got 37.5) painful ik, if I passed my other modules and got 100 credits out of 120, am I going to be kicked out of uni?
Original post by Anonymous
So I’m repeating my first year at university of Plymouth, and I barely failed one module (need 40 to pass, got 37.5) painful ik, if I passed my other modules and got 100 credits out of 120, am I going to be kicked out of uni?

Different universities have different regulations. What do Plymouth's regulations say?

As ASN says, it depends on the course regs, and you need to check those. You need 120 credits to progress to the second year - some courses allow progression by allowing to 'carry' failed credits forward to be retaken concurrently with your second year modules; other courses require all modules to be passed and 120 credits achieved before progression is allowed.

There is no way of telling which is which, but the information you need will be in your student handbook available on your student portal. If you can't find this information, ask your tutor or programme leader.
Original post by Reality Check
As ASN says, it depends on the course regs, and you need to check those. You need 120 credits to progress to the second year - some courses allow progression by allowing to 'carry' failed credits forward to be retaken concurrently with your second year modules; other courses require all modules to be passed and 120 credits achieved before progression is allowed.

There is no way of telling which is which, but the information you need will be in your student handbook available on your student portal. If you can't find this information, ask your tutor or programme leader.

I haven’t asked my tutor yet, I’ll do that tomorrow but I did check the student handbook and it says that compensation is permitted for that module as long as the grade is between 30% to 39%, but I’m not still sure if I would be allowed compensation if I’m a repeating student, also I wonder, can I do referrals if I’m a repeating student?
I haven’t asked my tutor yet, I’ll do that tomorrow but I did check the student handbook and it says that compensation is permitted for that module as long as the grade is between 30% to 39%, but I’m not still sure if I would be allowed compensation if I’m a repeating student, also I wonder, can I do referrals if I’m a repeating student?

Usually there isn't a problem with having to take a referred assessment as a repeating student, but were you to fail the referral you wouldn't be offered another repeat: it would be a FNFA (fail, no further attempts). In other words, you'd be withdrawn from the programme.

Compensation, too, should be allowed as a repeating student. Apart from the issue above, a repeating student is just that: repeating, and all other aspects of assessment and examination are usually the same as they would be for a non-repeating student in that year - you have to do all the assessments again as a student in that cohort would, but there is no 'penalty' for having to repeat the year, such as not being offered referrals if you fail the first attempt.

Regs do vary between universities, so your tutor will be able to confirm/clarify what I have written above, which is more of a broad overview than university-specific advice.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest