The Student Room Group

how to stay motivated at uni when i have no chance of getting a 1:1

I am in my final year, and my average from last year means there is an extremely low chance i will get a first. it is sad because i have been aiming for a first since first year. anyway, my personal tutor said it would be a reach to get a first. because of that, i am just lacking motivation to work hard. I feel like i have been working so hard the past three years, sacrificing my social life, and it was all for nothing. there are people that worked way less hard than me that will get a 2:1, so it just feels almost embarassing too that i work so hard just to get average grades. sorry this post is such a ramble.

just wondering if anyone else is in the same situation?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by anonymousebella
I am in my final year, and my average from last year means there is an extremely low chance i will get a first. it is sad because i have been aiming for a first since first year. anyway, my personal tutor said it would be a reach to get a first. because of that, i am just lacking motivation to work hard. I feel like i have been working so hard the past three years, sacrificing my social life, and it was all for nothing. there are people that worked way less hard than me that will get a 2:1, so it just feels almost embarassing too that i work so hard just to get average grades. sorry this post is such a ramble.

II(1) is a very broad class, and there's a world of difference between a 69 and a 61. Your result is going to be on your transcript, so it isn't a waste of time continuing to work to secure the highest grade you can, even if this isn't in the class you originally wanted.

Sort of. I haven't worked as hard as I should have but I should end up with a 2:1 which is okay for me.
Original post by Reality Check
II(1) is a very broad class, and there's a world of difference between a 69 and a 61. Your result is going to be on your transcript, so it isn't a waste of time continuing to work to secure the highest grade you can, even if this isn't in the class you originally wanted.

Some universities do 'bump up' grades from 2:1 to 1sts if the candidates are close to a 1:1 so it is still worth working hard.
Original post by Thisismyunitsr
Some universities do 'bump up' grades from 2:1 to 1sts if the candidates are close to a 1:1 so it is still worth working hard.

Yes, exactly - good point.
What's with this 1:1 nonsense? Second class degrees are the only class that has a division into upper and lower ie 2:1 or 2:2. There is no such thing as a 1:1 it's just a first.

Is any university actually using the 1:1 nomenclature or do people just not understand what degree grades they are paying £40k+ to get?
Extremely low isn't a zero chance. Keep striving for a first anyway. I was predicted a 2:1 in uni and while I managed to do incredibly well in one specific module (and not so well in another), the majority of my final year modules I kept just falling short of 70% - and by "just", I mean I scored 69.12% and 69.39% in two modules and then this trend continued with my research project where I scored 69.79%. I was devastated. Well, at least until I realised this pushed my overall average to 69.5% and thanks to rounding I was awarded a first. My efforts paid off despite looking futile.

tl;dr - it's not over yet. If you get demotivated now and stop putting in the effort then, yeah, you're guaranteed not to get a first. But if you keep pushing yourself even when it feels pointless there is a chance, no matter how small it is. And even if you don't succeed in getting a first, a 2:1 is nothing to scoff at.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by threeportdrift
What's with this 1:1 nonsense? Second class degrees are the only class that has a division into upper and lower ie 2:1 or 2:2. There is no such thing as a 1:1 it's just a first.

Is any university actually using the 1:1 nomenclature or do people just not understand what degree grades they are paying £40k+ to get?

I've seen a few Cambridge graduates on linkedin say that they got a double first, but I'm pretty sure this just means that they got a first in their dissertation and then a first overall? So it is just a first, don't know if a double first is an official qualification there or at any other UK uni.
Original post by 1582
Extremely low isn't a zero chance. Keep striving for a first anyway. I was predicted a 2:1 in uni and while I managed to do incredibly well in one specific module (and not so well in another), the majority of my final year modules I kept just falling short of 70% - and by "just", I mean I scored 69.12% and 69.39% in two modules and then this trend continued with my research project where I scored 69.79%. I was devastated. Well, at least until I realised this pushed my overall average to 69.5% and thanks to rounding I was awarded a first. My efforts paid off despite looking futile.

tl;dr - it's not over yet. If you get demotivated now and stop putting in the effort then, yeah, you're guaranteed not to get a first. But if you keep pushing yourself even when it feels pointless there is a chance, no matter how small it is. And even if you don't succeed in getting a first, a 2:1 is nothing to scoff at.

okay thank you for the encouragement. But my grades are not close to 70. They are as follows:

Would need to get extremely high marks this year to get even close to a first.

so it really is not looking good.
(edited 1 year ago)
okay thank you for the encouragement. But my grades are not close to 70. They are as follows:

You could **** up a some modules, get a couple of 3rds and then you'd end up with a 2:2, which really isn't good.

I would use that to motivate you. Besides nobody in the real world actually cares if you get a 1st or a 2:1 so I would not worry yourself about it.
Original post by Sorcerer of Old
I've seen a few Cambridge graduates on linkedin say that they got a double first, but I'm pretty sure this just means that they got a first in their dissertation and then a first overall? So it is just a first, don't know if a double first is an official qualification there or at any other UK uni.

The Double First thing is to indicate that you got a first in both Part I and Part II of your Tripos (most degrees have first and second year as Part IA and IB and then third year as Part II) so they basically mean that they got a first for their entire degree overall :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
The Double First thing is to indicate that you got a first in both Part I and Part II of your Tripos (most degrees have first and second year as Part IA and IB and then third year as Part II) so they basically mean that they got a first for their entire degree overall :smile:

Yeah, so it's just a first then.
Yeah, so it's just a first then.

Pretty much lol. Until this year Cambridge degrees didn't have official classifications (and I believe even now our certificates just say "Bachelor of Arts" regardless of what you studied and what grade you received)
Original post by Thisismyunitsr
You could **** up a some modules, get a couple of 3rds and then you'd end up with a 2:2, which really isn't good.

I would use that to motivate you. Besides nobody in the real world actually cares if you get a 1st or a 2:1 so I would not worry yourself about it.

thank you. i guess it will just be difficult when I see my classmates get firsts and i just get a 2:1. :frown:

A double first at Cam is a first in Part 1 and a First in Part 2. For most courses part 1 is the first 2 years, Part 2 is third year, but for a few courses it's the other way around.
thank you. i guess it will just be difficult when I see my classmates get firsts and i just get a 2:1. :frown:

I actually think you should aim for a first. I think it's possible with your grades, provided you study hard these last few months.
Hey, Look at the bright side, at least you managed to finish your degree!

Hey anonymousebella,

Sorry to hear you're struggling with motivation, it gets tough!
I would say that these aren't bad scores, you're looking at upper 60's which is still great. I understand it's not where you wanted to be though. How have you been getting on in your assignments so far this year?

You've done what you were able to do at the time and completing your degree will be a phenomenal achievement at the end. Just stick with it and try not to focus on how everybody else is doing.

What positive things have you been able to find about your course? Can the motivation come from getting it done and getting out of there on to the next chapter of life!

Best of luck
Essex Student Rep - Hayley
Do you know what your grade weighting is? Normally your marks in your final year count for a lot more than second year
At my uni, it’s 25/75 which means that if you get 80% average in second year it ends up counting as 20% whereas if you get that in the final year, it counts as 60% for the overall degree grade
If your weighting is similar, it’s entirely possible to still get a First overall so it’s not hopeless at all
Original post by threeportdrift

This has been a hobby horse of mine, too. Where did it come from? And why do you never get a III.III?
Original post by Anonymous
Pretty much lol. Until this year Cambridge degrees didn't have official classifications (and I believe even now our certificates just say "Bachelor of Arts" regardless of what you studied and what grade you received)

Yes, all first degrees at Cambridge are 'BA'. I've always used my Part II classification as my unofficial 'class', but as you say up to this year technically the degree overall didn't have an classification: each part was classed separately.

Quick Reply

Latest