The Student Room Group

Do you think it’s healthy go from BMI 21 to 18 for aesthetics?

I think skinny is beautiful. I miss being skinnier. But don’t want to do something awful to myself, if that makes sense?
Original post by Anonymous
I think skinny is beautiful. I miss being skinnier. But don’t want to do something awful to myself, if that makes sense?

The problem really is more what is in your head regarding this. A BMI of 21 is perfectly 'normal' in terms of range, but so is 18.5 (not 18) - so technically speaking, going from a BMI of 21 to 18 isn't a medical concern as such. But it's why you're wanting to lose more weight that could be problematic - as you say, it's purely for 'aesthetic' reasons. Again, this isn't necessarily an issue, but are you the sort of person who'd lose a couple of kg, get to your chosen BMI of 18.5 and then stop? Or would the temptation to lose just a little bit more weight be too great? And then what - a BMI of 17.5...17....16.8....

You have to analyse your feeling around weight and self-esteem/self-image and be frank with yourself about why really you're wanting to be skinner, and whether it's a good idea to set down a path which could lead to unexpected and unwanted places.
Reply 2
Depends on your height.

A BMI of 18 is underweight. So no, it's not healthy.

Spoiler

Original post by xox416
Depends on your height.

BMI takes your height into consideration.

BMI = weight (kg) ÷ (height (m))^2

So whatever your height, a BMI of 18 is considered underweight i.e. not healthy.
I acknowledge that my relationship with my body/ food isn’t optimal

Spoiler

But I don’t meet the criteria for any clinical conditions, it isn’t that bad. I’ve done these things for years.

I am not worried about going bellow 18.5 / 18 because it’s really hard to maintain a low BMI. Also, I am going to medical school in September, incredibly important to me and I wouldn’t throw that away by making it so that I couldn’t pass occi health.
I acknowledge that my relationship with my body/ food isn’t optimal

Spoiler

But I don’t meet the criteria for any clinical conditions, it isn’t that bad. I’ve done these things for years.

I am not worried about going bellow 18.5 / 18 because it’s really hard to maintain a low BMI. Also, I am going to medical school in September, incredibly important to me and I wouldn’t throw that away by making it so that I couldn’t pass occi health.

See a doctor. Eating disorders and disordered relationships around food and your body are serious issues with serious consequences, and they are on the rise (see https://www.england.nhs.uk/2022/03/nhs-treating-record-number-of-young-people-for-eating-disorders/, for example). As someone hoping to study medicine surely you would be aware of this, as well as all the negative side effects associated with being underweight and having an unhealthy relationship with food and your body? Surely you want to be as healthy as possible so that you can attend medical school and achieve to the best of your abilities? If you can't look after yourself then how could you expect anyone to trust you to look after others?

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest