The Student Room Group

To anyone who has a grade 8/9 in english literature:

Hi, I'm currently revising for my GCSEs! I need tips for english literature as i'll be sitting it very soon. - (If anyone has gotten a grade 7 or above in english literature, PLEASE respond)! I need help on the love and relationships cluster on how to structure a good grade 7-9 comparison essay. If anyone has achieved this then please do reply by giving tips or examples of a good comparison essay, and how to structure one. It would mean A LOT.

Thanks x
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Roz.09x
Hi, I'm currently revising for my GCSEs! I need tips for english literature as i'll be sitting it very soon. - (If anyone has gotten a grade 7 or above in english literature, PLEASE respond)! I need help on the love and relationships cluster on how to structure a good grade 7-9 comparison essay. If anyone has achieved this then please do reply by giving tips or examples of a good comparison essay, and how to structure one. It would mean A LOT.

Thanks x

Hey! I did IGCSE, so it's a bit different, but I got an A*. Here's how I structure my comparison essays now:

Introduction -
- Brief one or two line summary of both works in light of the question
- Thesis statement introducing my central argument, usually a similarity
- Further thesis statement, usually a difference
- Two or three ways I will explore this thesis

Section 1
- Paragraph about 1st work
- Topic sentences that links the specific work to my thesis and one way this is presented
- Expansion using literary devices and terminology
- Conclusion summarizing my point
- Paragraph about 2nd work
- Topic sentences that links the specific work to my thesis and one way this is presented
- Expansion using literary devices and terminology
- Conclusion summarizing my point
- Conclude section
- Make sure to weave your comparison point from the thesis through your essay, but state it clearly here, as a summary

Section 2,3..
- Ergo

Conclusion
- Clearly restate your argument
- Use the opportunity to add some evaluative points, e.g. how effectively the themes discussed have been used, authors intentions, etc.

This is how I write my essays now, for sixth form, but I hope it helps! Feel free to ask me to clarify more if you need it.
Reply 2
Hey thankyou so much for the help. I have one more question just because I'm currently in year 9 and I think we do our real english lit GCSEs in year 10 (pls correct me if I'm wrong). In terms of memorising key quotes and their analysis, will I need to memorise quotes from each poem in both clusters - (Love and relationsips + power and conflict). Or do we only need to memorise the quotes from one of the clusters.

Thanks
Reply 3
Original post by Roz.09x
Hey thankyou so much for the help. I have one more question just because I'm currently in year 9 and I think we do our real english lit GCSEs in year 10 (pls correct me if I'm wrong). In terms of memorising key quotes and their analysis, will I need to memorise quotes from each poem in both clusters - (Love and relationsips + power and conflict). Or do we only need to memorise the quotes from one of the clusters.

Thanks

I think you will only need to answer questions from one cluster in the real thing. If you can it might be helpful to learn both clusters so you have more choice, but if you consistently do better in questions from one cluster then you could just focus on that one and learn quotes really well. You have lots of time - try different things out for your MOCKs and see what works for you!
Reply 4
Thankyou SO MUCH for the help. I really appreciate it, and also gl in sixth form. x
(Original post by leemawo)I think you will only need to answer questions from one cluster in the real thing. If you can it might be helpful to learn both clusters so you have more choice, but if you consistently do better in questions from one cluster then you could just focus on that one and learn quotes really well. You have lots of time - try different things out for your MOCKs and see what works for you!

Quick Reply

Latest