The Student Room Group

Cheapest supermakret

So I went Aldi and noticed prices are very similar to Asda so wanted to ask what is the cheapest supermarket to shop at?
Lidl
Depends on what you're buying.
Lidl and Aldi are generally cheapest, but some other supermarkets do items that are "price matched" for example the cheapest jam in Sainsbury's (Aldi price matched) is cheaper than the cheapest jam in Lidl.
Also, sometimes there will be offers or discounts etc. for example Sainsbury's Nectar prices might mean you can get an aubergine for 60p rather than 85p. If you go at. the right time you might be able to get discounted food such as a 20p loaf of bread nearing its best before date.
(edited 1 year ago)
I find Lidl and Aldi are the cheapest for the majority of my shops. Lidl I will get most food, whilst Aldi is our go-to for alcohol (IPAs are nearly half the price of the same type in our local Co-Op!)
We don't have Asda, Morrisons or Sainsbury locally however, so I can't compare to those at all. The above is in comparison to Co-Op and Tesco mostly, where their marked down prices are still quite pricey.
Aldi and Lidl before they began to increase their prices in inflation. That is why I began to go to my butcher of trust to see what is on offer and to spend a bit more money for a better quality.
Original post by Rohan007best
So I went Aldi and noticed prices are very similar to Asda so wanted to ask what is the cheapest supermarket to shop at?

Depends on what you are buying etc. For me its either aldi, lidl or tesco (depending on what im buying).
Original post by Emma:-)
Depends on what you are buying etc. For me its either aldi, lidl or tesco (depending on what im buying).

Lidl and Aldi make no difference since inflation. Anyway all these discounters have risen their prices for goods.
Original post by Kallisto
Lidl and Aldi make no difference since inflation. Anyway all these discounters have risen their prices for goods.

I mainly go to Tesco to be fair.

Quick Reply

Latest