The Student Room Group

GCSE exams

My GCSE are in 2 and a half months and I still have a lot of content to cover I have already started revising for combined science for biology paper 1.There are 4 topics to learn which are B1 B2 B3 and B4 and I have only just done B1 which took me 2 weeks it take a long time to cover is there any way to learn all the subjects really quickly and I haven’t started maths or history yet. Can I learn all the content in 2 and a half months I started studying around 3 hours a day but I am going to increase to 7 hours in order to cover all the content. My grades are currently 2 and 3s I want to get 5s and 6s. Is that possible in 2 and a half month. Between my exams I have between 2 to 3 days before the exams so i also have time to revise between them as-well. Has anyone turned their grade around in a short period of time in GCSES? Also please also give any advice on revising for maths combined science and history. Thanks
Original post by Tiger-
My GCSE are in 2 and a half months and I still have a lot of content to cover I have already started revising for combined science for biology paper 1.There are 4 topics to learn which are B1 B2 B3 and B4 and I have only just done B1 which took me 2 weeks it take a long time to cover is there any way to learn all the subjects really quickly and I haven’t started maths or history yet. Can I learn all the content in 2 and a half months I started studying around 3 hours a day but I am going to increase to 7 hours in order to cover all the content. My grades are currently 2 and 3s I want to get 5s and 6s. Is that possible in 2 and a half month. Between my exams I have between 2 to 3 days before the exams so i also have time to revise between them as-well. Has anyone turned their grade around in a short period of time in GCSES? Also please also give any advice on revising for maths combined science and history. Thanks

Hi,

I’d recommend you try to figure out the way you learn best, so that you can use your time efficiently. Some people like mind maps, flash cards, taking notes etc, and might find different techniques useful for different subjects. I personally love watching educational YouTube videos and taking notes, as seeing animations help to make things stick in my mind. There are lots of good resources out there for GCSE science and maths, such as Cognito videos or revision webpages.

If you explore the exam board websites you should be able to find past exam papers, so you can do some practice questions and look at mark schemes. If you are struggling to find any, ask your teacher, who could help point you in the right direction.

Make sure you know the syllabus and make a check list of which topics you are comfortable with, not confident on or are completely unsure of, so you can focus your efforts in the right places.

With hard work and dedication you can absolutely turn your grades around, you are already doing great by thinking forward to your exams. Have belief in your abilities and keep pushing, if something isn’t sticking in your mind, look for another way of learning it. Remember to take breaks and alternate between subjects, it’s good to spend a few hours on a topic, then leave it for a few days and see what you can recall.

Best of luck with your studies! :smile:
Original post by NikkiRed
Hi,

I’d recommend you try to figure out the way you learn best, so that you can use your time efficiently. Some people like mind maps, flash cards, taking notes etc, and might find different techniques useful for different subjects. I personally love watching educational YouTube videos and taking notes, as seeing animations help to make things stick in my mind. There are lots of good resources out there for GCSE science and maths, such as Cognito videos or revision webpages.

If you explore the exam board websites you should be able to find past exam papers, so you can do some practice questions and look at mark schemes. If you are struggling to find any, ask your teacher, who could help point you in the right direction.

Make sure you know the syllabus and make a check list of which topics you are comfortable with, not confident on or are completely unsure of, so you can focus your efforts in the right places.

With hard work and dedication you can absolutely turn your grades around, you are already doing great by thinking forward to your exams. Have belief in your abilities and keep pushing, if something isn’t sticking in your mind, look for another way of learning it. Remember to take breaks and alternate between subjects, it’s good to spend a few hours on a topic, then leave it for a few days and see what you can recall.

Best of luck with your studies! :smile:

I have already started revising here is my plan;
Combined science: learn the topics through YouTube videos and the CGP book make mind maps and anything I forget I add in a different colour pen and the information that I miss I memorise them and then I do exam style questions and past papers.
Maths: maths genie and exam questions and past papers
History : the same as I did for combined science.
I am already revising it but soo much content to cover I am working at a grade 3 right now I would need to get 5s for sixth form is that possible with the time I have left?
Original post by Tiger-
I have already started revising here is my plan;
Combined science: learn the topics through YouTube videos and the CGP book make mind maps and anything I forget I add in a different colour pen and the information that I miss I memorise them and then I do exam style questions and past papers.
Maths: maths genie and exam questions and past papers
History : the same as I did for combined science.
I am already revising it but soo much content to cover I am working at a grade 3 right now I would need to get 5s for sixth form is that possible with the time I have left?

It’s great that you’ve got a goal and it also sounds like you've got a great plan in place to reach it. I definitely think it’s possible if you can stick to it and dedicate your time to learning.

Keep in mind what you need to know to get a 5. Try not to think about the volume of content, just break it down into modules and keep doing what you are doing. When revising (or during the exams) if you find something particularly difficult, skip it and come back to it, otherwise you could end up wasting time on a topic that may get you 3 marks, instead of wider revision that could get you 15. You can do it! :smile:
Original post by Tiger-

Hi,

I'm a maths student so hopefully I have some tips that would help! 🙂

Here are a few methods I use:
1) Doing past papers is really helpful, not only does it let you practice all the content but it also gets you used to taking the maths papers. I would suggest trying a past paper and then mark it yourself with the mark scheme.
2) When I was doing my GCSEs there were maths revision flashcards that you could get, I think they're still available now. They were very useful.
3) Write out all the formulas you need to remember and stick them on your wall. You could also put them into something like quizlet.
4) Go through your textbook and try and do as many of the examples as possible.
5) Study with your friends if it's not too distracting, I always find working through a question with another person can make me suddenly understand a question because they might bring a different viewpoint to it.

I really hope this helps. Best of luck with your exams, you've got this!

Penelope (Lancaster University Mathematics Student Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest