The Student Room Group

Edinburgh vs Cranfield for Marketing

Hi all,

I have offers from Edinburgh and Cranfield for Marketing/Strategic Marketing.

I have also applied to other unis but still waiting on updates currently, however, the acceptance deadline for both is pretty soon.
In between these two which would you pick?

I'm looking for course quality, practical experience and job prospects after graduating (as an international student)

I would love your thoughts!
Original post by maverickmarketer
Hi all,

I have offers from Edinburgh and Cranfield for Marketing/Strategic Marketing.

I have also applied to other unis but still waiting on updates currently, however, the acceptance deadline for both is pretty soon.
In between these two which would you pick?

I'm looking for course quality, practical experience and job prospects after graduating (as an international student)

I would love your thoughts!

Hi @maverickmarketer

Congrats on getting two amazing offers!
Choosing which is right for you is always based on a number of factors, and what suits one person might not suit the next, but I will do my best to give you as much info as a Cranfield student myself 😊

You mentioned course quality, which can relate to many different things. One major factor is relevance, and the Cranfield faculty are experts in their field and have considerable industry experience, and are supported by a team of international visiting industry speakers and professors who also bring the latest thinking and best practice into the classroom. They work to ensure graduates are highly employable, well rounded, and competitive in the job market. This is reinforced by the Practice Advisory Board, who inform the design and development of the master's in marketing programme. Comprising leading figures from the world of marketing, it recommends additions and amendments to the course to reinforce its relevance to the modern marketing world.
The course quality is evidenced by the accreditation, being one of the few UK degrees to be accredited by the Market Research Society (MRS). It is additionally accredited by the Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM). This means that while studying, you can work towards achieving the MRS Certificate in Market & Social Research, and/or achieve CIM’s professional marketing qualifications and awards alongside your Cranfield degree.
On top of this, the course is ranked 5th in the UK and 15th in the world by QS World University Rankings: Masters In Marketing 2022.

As for practical experience, this is an amazing way to demonstrate you can apply your classroom-based knowledge in real-world situations. The Cranfield course includes case studies for this, as well as real hands-on experiences.
Each year, the Marketing Consultancy Project is provided by external business client that will give you real insight into an industry, what it is really like working in the UK business culture, and even develop contacts and network before graduating. This is on top of the feedback you will receive from both your Cranfield supervisors and an industry expert, after presenting your recommendations to the company leaders at the final client presentation. Companies students have worked with include Google, Nike, Cobra Beer, InterContinental Hotels Group, Acer and Sainsbury’s.
Additionally, each student will undertake an individual thesis project. This can be either company-sponsored, or an empirical project in an area of marketing you are passionate about (usually involving direct research with either marketing professionals/managers or with customers).

As for job prospects, Cranfield has strong industry links which reinforce the quality of Cranfield graduates, as well as giving you the chances I described above to display your skills and build a network before graduating.
On top of that, as a Cranfield student you will be supported by the Careers and Employability Service. They offer so many different services, including 1:1 coaching on a variety of topics, help improving your CV, interview skills, and much more. I’ll leave a link with more details in case you are interested in what they can do for you:
https://www.cranfield.ac.uk/study/careers-service
During your course you will receive support and guidance to help you plan an effective strategy for your personal and professional development, whether you are looking to secure your first management role, or wanting take your career to the next level.
Cranfield Strategic Marketing MSc graduates have secured jobs with a diverse range of companies including Vodafone, TJX, Kerry, Christian Dior, Henkel, GE, Schlumberger, Ernst & Young, Estée Lauder, Coca-Cola, Mars, Beiersdorf, KMPG Nunwood and Microsoft. Their roles have included Customer Insight Consultant, Junior Manager, Buying and Merchandising Graduate Programme trainee, Marketing Manager and Associate Consultant.

If you have any follow-up questions, or want any clarification, please do leave it below and I’ll do my best to find you an answer!
Also, we have current Strategic Marketing students available on our chat service, if you are interested to hear from their perspective:
https://www.cranfield.ac.uk/ambassador-chat

Best of luck in finding the right course for you 😊
Ciara
3rd year Agrifood PhD student
Cranfield Student Ambassador
Original post by Cranfield University
Hi @maverickmarketer

Congrats on getting two amazing offers!
Choosing which is right for you is always based on a number of factors, and what suits one person might not suit the next, but I will do my best to give you as much info as a Cranfield student myself 😊

You mentioned course quality, which can relate to many different things. One major factor is relevance, and the Cranfield faculty are experts in their field and have considerable industry experience, and are supported by a team of international visiting industry speakers and professors who also bring the latest thinking and best practice into the classroom. They work to ensure graduates are highly employable, well rounded, and competitive in the job market. This is reinforced by the Practice Advisory Board, who inform the design and development of the master's in marketing programme. Comprising leading figures from the world of marketing, it recommends additions and amendments to the course to reinforce its relevance to the modern marketing world.
The course quality is evidenced by the accreditation, being one of the few UK degrees to be accredited by the Market Research Society (MRS). It is additionally accredited by the Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM). This means that while studying, you can work towards achieving the MRS Certificate in Market & Social Research, and/or achieve CIM’s professional marketing qualifications and awards alongside your Cranfield degree.
On top of this, the course is ranked 5th in the UK and 15th in the world by QS World University Rankings: Masters In Marketing 2022.

As for practical experience, this is an amazing way to demonstrate you can apply your classroom-based knowledge in real-world situations. The Cranfield course includes case studies for this, as well as real hands-on experiences.
Each year, the Marketing Consultancy Project is provided by external business client that will give you real insight into an industry, what it is really like working in the UK business culture, and even develop contacts and network before graduating. This is on top of the feedback you will receive from both your Cranfield supervisors and an industry expert, after presenting your recommendations to the company leaders at the final client presentation. Companies students have worked with include Google, Nike, Cobra Beer, InterContinental Hotels Group, Acer and Sainsbury’s.
Additionally, each student will undertake an individual thesis project. This can be either company-sponsored, or an empirical project in an area of marketing you are passionate about (usually involving direct research with either marketing professionals/managers or with customers).

As for job prospects, Cranfield has strong industry links which reinforce the quality of Cranfield graduates, as well as giving you the chances I described above to display your skills and build a network before graduating.
On top of that, as a Cranfield student you will be supported by the Careers and Employability Service. They offer so many different services, including 1:1 coaching on a variety of topics, help improving your CV, interview skills, and much more. I’ll leave a link with more details in case you are interested in what they can do for you:
https://www.cranfield.ac.uk/study/careers-service
During your course you will receive support and guidance to help you plan an effective strategy for your personal and professional development, whether you are looking to secure your first management role, or wanting take your career to the next level.
Cranfield Strategic Marketing MSc graduates have secured jobs with a diverse range of companies including Vodafone, TJX, Kerry, Christian Dior, Henkel, GE, Schlumberger, Ernst & Young, Estée Lauder, Coca-Cola, Mars, Beiersdorf, KMPG Nunwood and Microsoft. Their roles have included Customer Insight Consultant, Junior Manager, Buying and Merchandising Graduate Programme trainee, Marketing Manager and Associate Consultant.

If you have any follow-up questions, or want any clarification, please do leave it below and I’ll do my best to find you an answer!
Also, we have current Strategic Marketing students available on our chat service, if you are interested to hear from their perspective:

Best of luck in finding the right course for you 😊
Ciara

Thanks Ciara for such a detailed answer
Could you provide me with some insight into how the cohorts are?

Also, I know the campus is away from the city. Could you tell me how students do internships or network? I'd love to know more about that.

Thanks!
Original post by maverickmarketer
Thanks Ciara for such a detailed answer
Could you provide me with some insight into how the cohorts are?

Also, I know the campus is away from the city. Could you tell me how students do internships or network? I'd love to know more about that.

Thanks!

Hi again,

Of course, glad I could help!
There is a breakdown to give a general overview of the cohort from last year, of course it will vary but hopefully will give you some insight. For 2021/22 in Strategic Marketing:
Age range: 20 to 40 years
Average age: 25 years
Number of nationalities: 14
Nationality: UK/EU: 6% - International: 94%
Cohort size: 114
Class size: 38

As for the travel, Milton Keynes and Bedford are both within a 30 min drive (depending on the area) and both have train stations with good connectivity to London, and many other cities. As far as I know, some students have worked partially remotely too, although this was during the pandemic so I can’t guarantee if this continued!

I think the best insight into what people are doing most currently, and also who can give you a better sense of the ‘vibe’ of the cohort (rather than the stats listed above), would be to speak to some current students in marketing here:
Just search by ‘Area of Study’ to narrow it down 😊

If you have any specific accessibility concerns or want more information about the flexibility of internships and networking, I would suggest contacting the course director, who will know not just what is going on this year, but should be knowledgeable about previous years, different options, etc.
Dr Sharifah Alwi is the director of the course, and Dr Tamira King the deputy course director. I’ll put their emails here:
[email protected]
[email protected]

Hope this helps!
And of course, if you need any more info I’d be happy to answer or find someone who can 😊

Ciara

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending