The Student Room Group

German speaking conversation- which "you" should I use?

For the conversation part of the gcse german speaking exam, should I use "Sie" or "du" when talking to the teacher?
My board is AQA, but that probably doesn't make much difference.
Thanks
Original post by minwom28818
For the conversation part of the gcse german speaking exam, should I use "Sie" or "du" when talking to the teacher?
Thanks

"Sie", definitely. This is a formal occasion and you are speaking to someone "in authority" on the basis that you are being assessed.
Original post by minwom28818
Thanks

Yes, most definitely 'Sie' - it would be seen as disrespectful and over-familiar to use 'du'. Not the image you want to project!
Reply 3
You would use "Sie", which is the formal version of you in German. "Du" is used when talking to close family / friends and in informal settings. When speaking to someone older than you, in a position of authority or someone of importance (in this case your teacher) you use the formal form of you. Think tu versus vous in French, or versus usted in Spanish.
Original post by Anna Schoon
"Sie", definitely. This is a formal occasion and you are speaking to someone "in authority" on the basis that you are being assessed.

ok. Thank you

Quick Reply