The Student Room Group

Can someone please mark my work !!

Hey, if anyone here has gotten a 7 or above in geography GCSEs, PLEASE respond. I need help marking my 8 mark question and getting feedback on what I can do to improve on it. Pls reply if you have have gotten a 7 or above in your geography GCSEs ! - (it would mean a lot).

Thanks x
(edited 1 year ago)
Hi, I do AQA and we don't have any 8 markers for that so we're probably doing different exam boards, but I'd still be happy to help if I can :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 2
ahh yes. Thats because i do edexcel. Thank you so much by the way for trying to help!

Question: Evaluate the effectiveness of the methods of response to a tropical cyclone in a named developed country. (8) (I picked Hurricane Katrina)

One of the main, effective methods of response to Hurricane Katrina was that the tropical cyclone was predicted early by the National Weather Service, meaning they gave a very accurate plot of the hurricane's track and expected landfall.

As a result of this effective method of response, thousands of people were evacuated before the storm hit, saving thousands of lives.
It is clear from research that the evacuation was largely successful, with 90% of the city’s residents departing before the tropical cyclone struck.
There is absolutely no doubt that this warning from the National Weather service, and the coordinated evacuation saved many lives. Without this, the death toll would have been much greater.

On the other hand, despite early warning from the National weather service, the government was criticized for his slow response to the disaster.
It can be argued that this slow response to the storm, and lack of safety centres such as the Superdome for public shelter was an unsuccessful method of response from a well “developed country,” like the United States.
This can be seen by the example of the emergency centres, such as the Louisiana Superdome which was proved to be inadequate. The Superdome was designed to handle 800 people, yet over 30, 000 people arrived, limiting food supply.
It is clear that the United States, as a "well-developed country" could have done much more for their residents, especially for the most unwealthy and vulnerable who were left behind.

To conclude, I think that the United states' government had the means to issue warnings and alert local authorities and people so that there was enought time for 1000s of people to evacuate to safer locations. I think that even with the United States’ higher levels of development, Hurricane Katarina has shown the world that when a disaster like this occurs, even very globalised and well-developed countries can struggle to cope and respond effectively to it.

?/8 (what would you mark it out of 8) and (how can I improve)
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Roz.09x
ahh yes. Thats because i do edexcel. Thank you so much by the way for trying to help!

Question: Evaluate the effectiveness of the methods of response to a tropical cyclone in a named developed country. (8) (I picked Hurricane Katrina)

One of the main, effective methods of response to Hurricane Katrina was that the tropical cyclone was predicted early by the National Weather Service, meaning they gave a very accurate plot of the hurricane's track and expected landfall.

As a result of this effective method of response, thousands of people were evacuated before the storm hit, saving thousands of lives.
It is clear from research that the evacuation was largely successful, with 90% of the city’s residents departing before the tropical cyclone struck.
There is absolutely no doubt that this warning from the National Weather service, and the coordinated evacuation saved many lives. Without this, the death toll would have been much greater.

On the other hand, despite early warning from the National weather service, the government was criticized for his slow response to the disaster.
It can be argued that this slow response to the storm, and lack of safety centres such as the Superdome for public shelter was an unsuccessful method of response from a well “developed country,” like the United States.
This can be seen by the example of the emergency centres, such as the Louisiana Superdome which was proved to be inadequate. The Superdome was designed to handle 800 people, yet over 30, 000 people arrived, limiting food supply.
It is clear that the United States, as a "well-developed country" could have done much more for their residents, especially for the most unwealthy and vulnerable who were left behind.

To conclude, I think that the United states' government had the means to issue warnings and alert local authorities and people so that there was enought time for 1000s of people to evacuate to safer locations. I think that even with the United States’ higher levels of development, Hurricane Katarina has shown the world that when a disaster like this occurs, even very globalised and well-developed countries can struggle to cope and respond effectively to it.

I can try PMing you some practice questions I answered that got 8/8.

What year are you in, I'd recommend going to your teacher for help with how to answer and structure them, you could also ask them to mark it for you- I'm sure they'd be more than happy to do so
Reply 4
Yeh, if you PM me those questions you answered that would be amazing. Im in year 9 btw. Do you have tt ? Also thanks a lot for the feedback x
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 5
I know I've got some time until my GCSEs, but my geography teacher recommended we do these types of questions to familiarize ourselves with. He's gonna give us feedback on it- (I hope i did alr for my first time). Also thanks for the answers

Btw, what year are you in ?
(edited 1 year ago)
no worries, hope you do well on your 8 marker attempt. (I added a few edits below, hope it helps:biggrin:)

Original post by Roz.09x

The tropical cyclone Hurricane Katrina [could add where it happened and the year here] had a range of responses that varied in effectiveness.

One affective response to Hurricane Katrina was that the tropical cyclone was predicted early by the National Weather Service, meaning they gave a very accurate plot of the hurricane's track and expected landfall. This was highly effective as a result of this was that 90% of the city's residents had evacuated before the tropical cyclone hit, which in turn saved thousands of lives and decreased the death toll. [add another effective response here in the sameish structure]

[left this paragraph out to let you attempt it yourself + make sure you include 2 negative responses]

Overall, I think that the responses to Hurricane Katrina [could add where it happened and the year here] were overall [just state whether it was effective or or not]
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Roz.09x

Ok that's a good answer! I'm not sure about the mark because the success criteria may differ between exam boards, but imo it's in the range of 6-8.
This was mentioned in another post (I'm using my phone so won't be able to quote them) but you could add more details specific to the hurricane (such as date, location, category, etc).
Also (this is a thing I've found to be important for my exam board, but it might be similar for yours too) - at the end of the paragraphs you could make clearer links to the question - sentences like "this shows that the methods of response to hurricane Katrina were highly/not very effective).
And this is kind of related to my previous point, but with the conclusion, make it really obvious that you're evaluating the effectiveness of the methods as the mark schemes may be picky.
But once again I don't do the same exam board and maybe you don't need to do that as much for yours - others in this thread are probably more qualified to give advice haha
Original post by aspiringdoktor77
Ok that's a good answer! I'm not sure about the mark because the success criteria may differ between exam boards, but imo it's in the range of 6-8.
This was mentioned in another post (I'm using my phone so won't be able to quote them) but you could add more details specific to the hurricane (such as date, location, category, etc).
Also (this is a thing I've found to be important for my exam board, but it might be similar for yours too) - at the end of the paragraphs you could make clearer links to the question - sentences like "this shows that the methods of response to hurricane Katrina were highly/not very effective).
And this is kind of related to my previous point, but with the conclusion, make it really obvious that you're evaluating the effectiveness of the methods as the mark schemes may be picky.
But once again I don't do the same exam board and maybe you don't need to do that as much for yours - others in this thread are probably more qualified to give advice haha

would agree with the advice you gave, the conclusion only has to be a simple concluding statement commenting on the effectiveness
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by million.
would agree with the advice you gave, the conclusion only has to be a simple concluding statement commenting on the effectiveness

Oh ok that's pretty similar to AQA then :biggrin:
yeah its still too much content tho 😭. what year are you in btw if you dont mind me asking?

The content is too much for AQA too it's so difficult to memorise it all 😭😭
I'm in year 11
i feel like after each topic test my brain erases everything to do with the topic. what other subjects do you take btw? im in year 11 too:biggrin:

Literally same and it takes me so long to relearn all the case studies and everything 😭
I take computer science, psychology, German, further maths and separate science, which subjects do you take?
i literally feel like crying every time i go over the case studies and fielwork stuff

i take computing, separate sciences, econ, geo and rs. also waht txts doyou study for english

That sounds like a nice combination.
For English I do Macbeth, Jekyll and Hyde, and LOTF. For the poetry anthology I'm doing power and conflict. You?
Original post by Roz.09x
Yeh, if you PM me those questions you answered that would be amazing. Im in year 9 btw. Do you have tt ? Also thanks a lot for the feedback x

why are you revising in year 9 ?!

Quick Reply