The Student Room Group

Sports societies with no experience

Hi,

Growing up I never really played sports however I would like to start and join some while at uni. As I never placed them I don’t really have any experience and probably aren’t very good does this mean I wouldn’t be able to join or are there ever societies for beginners. I was thinking something like Netball, or any other sports that involve running as I enjoy running.
Hi happy to hear you're taking a chance with some sports and trying new things at university can I suggest that you find out when they have their practises and go and join because going in the practises doesn't necessarily mean you want to be part of the team it just means you want to train with them and better developed the sports yourself and have fun and at the same time some teams have first team second teams and third teams so often maybe the third teams or second teams are more casual and more beginner friendly.
I hope this helps and wish you the best of luck.

Joseph - University of Sunderland Student Ambassador
Original post by Cerysxxx3435536
Hi,

Growing up I never really played sports however I would like to start and join some while at uni. As I never placed them I don’t really have any experience and probably aren’t very good does this mean I wouldn’t be able to join or are there ever societies for beginners. I was thinking something like Netball, or any other sports that involve running as I enjoy running.

Hi @Cerysxxx3435536,

I'm a third year English student and was in exactly the same position when I started university, I wanted to play sports at a level that is open to everyone. After having a look through the SU society page, I found out that the English society actually had their own intra-mural netball team! The team played in a league that was open to all players, regardless of their experience playing netball. I joined in my first year and have been a member ever since, in fact I became captain this year. The league consists of lots of other societies and promotes being friendly yet still competitive, so is perfect for anyone looking to ease their way into netball at university. I would recommend having a look on your university's website to see if there is something similar on offer.

I hope this is useful.

Jasmine (an Official University of Southampton Rep):smile:
Hi,

Hey,

Of course! At Coventry, there is an option to play recreationally for most sports, rather than competitive. This gives you a chance to learn a new sport, and just have fun. If you like it, you can maybe try out for the team in another year!

There are usually local netball clubs if your university do not offer a chance to learn/play for fun!

Also, at the start of each semester there are usually chances to try out new sports. If you are set on netball, then that is fine. But if you still aren’t sure, see if there are any other sports you are interested in trying.

Good luck,
Sara :smile:
Hey @Cerysxxx3435536!

During Freshers Week, sports societies usually offer some form of taster session where you can go and 'try out' the sport with a mix of other freshers and more experienced players. Lots of students try and take up a new sport at university, so you won't be the only newbie! Societies are very accepting of all levels of ability.:smile:

If you enjoy running, maybe consider athletics? It offers a good base of running, with the opportunity to try out other track and field sports (e.g. shotput, long jump, high jump). Tennis also requires a good bit of running/cardio, and the basics are easily taught.

Hope you find a sport you love!
- Eve.
(edited 1 year ago)
Not sure where you planning to study but in Scotland fencing for example has a specific beginners competition every year.
Hello,

A lot of Universities have the option to play sports socially with the option of playing competitively if you decide. Netball and running are great options I am part of a running group and I am not particularly good but just enjoy it for the exercise aspect.

Good luck with whatever you decide :smile:

Rebecca York St John University Student Rep
Hi,

@Cerysxxx3435536

At the start of term, there should be the opportunity to try a taster session.

It means you can go along and get an idea of what the sport's society is like and whether you might be interested in joining.

Students are keen for more students to join their society and also really passionate about their sport, so they will be definitely be keen to show you the ropes.

Last year, even after term had started I went along to the cricket society and the students were really welcoming and happy to give me tips and advice on how I could improve my bowling and batting.

It was fun : )

Oluwatosin – 2nd year podiatry student – University of Huddersfield

Quick Reply

Latest