The Student Room Group

When do you move into halls?

I’m planning a holiday for this summer and I’d be back by the 30th of August, however I’m worried that this may not give me enough time to move into halls and settle before uni starts?
When do most unis want you to move into halls? I’ve applied reading, sheffield, kent, Bristol, and Warwick, so if anyone knows any specific dates for move in at any of those unis that would be helpful?
I’m pretty sure most want you to move in around early to mid September but just to be sure, thank you!
Hey!

Each uni will have their own academic calendar, though they'll be similar across the board, so it's worth doing a bit of looking on each uni's website. Typically people move into accomodation around welcome week, though again this varies from uni to uni, and also depending on what type of contract or halls you're in. Hope that helps!

Jake
Year 2, BSc Mathematics with Physics
Original post by floppyfish
I’m planning a holiday for this summer and I’d be back by the 30th of August, however I’m worried that this may not give me enough time to move into halls and settle before uni starts?
When do most unis want you to move into halls? I’ve applied reading, sheffield, kent, Bristol, and Warwick, so if anyone knows any specific dates for move in at any of those unis that would be helpful?
I’m pretty sure most want you to move in around early to mid September but just to be sure, thank you!

Hi floppyfish,
Each university will have it's own start date for tenancies, I'd say you're usually looking at around mid to late September. Private student accommodation may have earlier tenancy start dates but regardless, I wouldn't be too worried about not having enough time to settle. Whilst many students will arrive on the first weekend of their tenancy agreement starting, others will filter in later - and you'll still have freshers week to settle in!

Hope this helps!

- Sophie
Original post by StudentRoost Rep
Hi floppyfish,
Each university will have it's own start date for tenancies, I'd say you're usually looking at around mid to late September. Private student accommodation may have earlier tenancy start dates but regardless, I wouldn't be too worried about not having enough time to settle. Whilst many students will arrive on the first weekend of their tenancy agreement starting, others will filter in later - and you'll still have freshers week to settle in!

Hope this helps!

- Sophie

What is the student roost policy on entering rooms / flats ... specifically should contractors / maintenance be knocking and announcing their presence before they come in (it's common practice where we live that they don't)

Also what does your company do in terms of repairs should these be completed within specific timescales?

Hi there :smile:

It is completely up to you when you decide to move into halls as long as its from when your contract has started. Different unis will likely have a different start day but it is usually mid to late September. You can view the Kent term dates for the 2023/24 academic year here: https://media.www.kent.ac.uk/se/20304/term-dates-2023-2024.pdf
I would say that most people tend to move in a few days/Weekend before welcome week (freshers week). Remember that the first week will be to settle in as you likely won't have any lectures. I personally gave myself 1-2 days before welcome week to unpack and settle in (around the 15th of Sep). You will find that a lot of people tend to move in on the weekend before so campus may be fairly quiet until then. Hope this helps

Best wishes

Joanna
-Uni of Kent Rep
Original post by ElvisTheLemon
What is the student roost policy on entering rooms / flats ... specifically should contractors / maintenance be knocking and announcing their presence before they come in (it's common practice where we live that they don't)

Also what does your company do in terms of repairs should these be completed within specific timescales?

Hi ElvisTheLemon,
Thank you for your questions. Regarding entering flats, we will always seek to give at least 24 hours notice. Any maintenance issues should be reported to your property team. The time allocated to fix the issue depends on the nature of the issue. For minor jobs, the inhouse caretaker will attend. If the issue is more complicated, we may need to bring in an external contractor to resolve the problem. Your property team should keep you updated and inform you if there are any delays (e.g. if a part needs to be ordered).

Hope this helps!

- Sophie

Hey,
I am a rep from the University of Sheffield, I do not have the specific dates but for Sheffield it is usually mid-late September so you should have enough time to get yourself sorted. My friend started at Warwick last year, and she moved in around mid-September too.
I hope you have a great holiday, and let me know if you have any questions about Sheffield!
Evie
4th Year medical student at UoS

Hey there @floppyfish !
I can't speak for uni-of but at Hallam, tenancies usually begin in the first couple of weeks of September. If you've booked privately it'll be more like 8th-10th September, if you've booked through the university then your tenancy will begin a week later. After that, there's usually a week's break before study starts. I believe the weekend that the applied-through-uni students move in is the start of freshers week. You will be absolutely fine in August of first year as most courses don't start until mid-September at the earliest.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU

Quick Reply

Latest