The Student Room Group

Cambridge open application or not?

I want to study economics at cambridge and was contemplating whether to do an open application?
trouble is i don't want to go to an all girls college, other than that i don't mind which one i go to

so if i select one college from cambridge, but don't get in can they still offer me another college? or do i increase my chances of getting in my submitting an open application?

thanks!!
Reply 1
In words taken from Cambridge's website: "For equally well-qualified applicants, making an open application or indicating a preference College makes no difference to your chance of being made an offer."
So, in short, it honestly doesn't matter whether you make an open/closed application.

In long, there are several things you might want to consider about select applications: first of all, bear in mind that many of the colleges are catered, meaning you do not make your own meals most of the time. Only some colleges have kitchens: and that might be important for you.

Secondly, as mentioned in the above quote, you have equal chances because if Cambridge thinks you're a brilliant student, but the college has too many applicants, they will do something known as 'pooling', which often takes place before/after interviews depending. You will find out.
In pooling, you're application is submitted to another college that someone thinks you'll fit. That gives you a chance to still get to Cambridge, just not in the college you wanted, and that's open to everyone.

Also, just as a quick aside, I hope you don't mind: there is also the August pooling, which I believe occurs when you have gotten an offer for your college, but don't get the required grades. You're offer is then also considered by other colleges so you still have a chance.

Another thing you may want to consider is grade boundaries: some colleges have different grade boundaries wanted, or even different subjects: e.g. I think for geography most colleges don't want Geography as an A Level, but some others do.

In the end, it's up to you. But, apart from actual collegiate differences, there's nothing to worry about between application types. If you check below, you'll see many other threads where people have had your same problem. Hope this helps! Good luck with your application :biggrin:
Original post by alberw21
I want to study economics at cambridge and was contemplating whether to do an open application?
trouble is i don't want to go to an all girls college, other than that i don't mind which one i go to

so if i select one college from cambridge, but don't get in can they still offer me another college? or do i increase my chances of getting in my submitting an open application?

thanks!!

Just out of interest, what A levels are you studying?

@{Moss}'s post is accurate and complte, so I don't really need to add to that :smile:
Original post by {Moss}
In words taken from Cambridge's website: "For equally well-qualified applicants, making an open application or indicating a preference College makes no difference to your chance of being made an offer."
So, in short, it honestly doesn't matter whether you make an open/closed application.

In long, there are several things you might want to consider about select applications: first of all, bear in mind that many of the colleges are catered, meaning you do not make your own meals most of the time. Only some colleges have kitchens: and that might be important for you.

Secondly, as mentioned in the above quote, you have equal chances because if Cambridge thinks you're a brilliant student, but the college has too many applicants, they will do something known as 'pooling', which often takes place before/after interviews depending. You will find out.
In pooling, you're application is submitted to another college that someone thinks you'll fit. That gives you a chance to still get to Cambridge, just not in the college you wanted, and that's open to everyone.

Also, just as a quick aside, I hope you don't mind: there is also the August pooling, which I believe occurs when you have gotten an offer for your college, but don't get the required grades. You're offer is then also considered by other colleges so you still have a chance.

Another thing you may want to consider is grade boundaries: some colleges have different grade boundaries wanted, or even different subjects: e.g. I think for geography most colleges don't want Geography as an A Level, but some others do.

In the end, it's up to you. But, apart from actual collegiate differences, there's nothing to worry about between application types. If you check below, you'll see many other threads where people have had your same problem. Hope this helps! Good luck with your application :biggrin:

thanks so much, you've been really helpful!
Original post by Reality Check
Just out of interest, what A levels are you studying?

@{Moss}'s post is accurate and complte, so I don't really need to add to that :smile:

i'm taking maths, further maths, economics & geography
i'm taking maths, further maths, economics & geography

That's OK then, with the maths and FM. Just worth noting that four A levels won't confer any advantage to your application, and A*A*A* is much better than A*A*AA (i.e. it's not linear). Appreciate you might be set on four A levels now :smile:
That's OK then, with the maths and FM. Just worth noting that four A levels won't confer any advantage to your application, and A*A*A* is much better than A*A*AA (i.e. it's not linear). Appreciate you might be set on four A levels now :smile:

yeah i was skeptical of the workload of 4 A Levels at first, but I think doing FM can give me an advantage if i do well in it
yeah i was skeptical of the workload of 4 A Levels at first, but I think doing FM can give me an advantage if i do well in it

Oh yes - if you're applying to Cambridge, then nearly all offer holders have got FM as well as maths. It was the geography which I was thinking was surplus to requirements.
Oh yes - if you're applying to Cambridge, then nearly all offer holders have got FM as well as maths. It was the geography which I was thinking was surplus to requirements.

unfortunately i cannot drop geography as doing maths and FM (in my school anyway) doesn't count as 2 A Levels so i need to do 2 extra subjects

Quick Reply