The Student Room Group

The Quarry

The first Supermassive Games game I played was Until Dawn on the PS4. It's a pretty great game, largely due to a lively cast, a 90s teen slasher horror feel, and, even more importantly, a variety of scary location types with genuinely tense quick time events that felt that your reflexes or very quick thinking made the difference between life and death. The last quarter or whatever of the game was a bit of an anticlimax but, overall, the game remains in my memory as a game worth replaying.
Long after, I played Supermassive's next game, Man of Medan, either on the PS4 or Xbox One. This one is much more of a Resident Evil/Alone in the Dark vibe of enclosed interior environments (it's nearly all on a huge ship). This one will potentially freak you out more, no matter how many times you play it. I completed it once and I regard it as a quiet classic of its genre.

Then I never really gave Little Hope much chance. Everything from the too suggestion of a double meaning in the title to the not at all subtle opening, and the Silent Hill-type aesthetic, seemed in too much of a hurry to scare to me. I know the Dark Pictures Anthology games, being released one a year, needed to cover a lot of ground in a short space of time because they are shorter games than Until Dawn but, rightly or wrongly, I got the sense that Little Hope is, relatively speaking, the 'filler track' in their output.

Next I bought House of Ashes and I certainly need to play that more as it seems like morality choices have some more bearing. In pacing, it's a step towards the brooding build up of Man of Medan again.

After that, The Devil in Me released, which seems to have got the lowest review scores of all of these, although the actual plot is the one that sounds like appealing to me most, so I'll play that next.

Most recently, I bought The Quarry (I guessed rightly that the name is also a double meaning) Xbox Series X version. (£19.99 at GAME, the best price I've seen, although I understand it's on PlayStation Plus now). Clearly a spiritual sequel to Until Dawn, this time the 1980s/early 1990s is arguably a little more the main influence than the mid to late 1990s. Very on trend, what with Stranger Things. It gets off to an impactful start, but there's an immediately gnawing sense that a game potentially 'full' of choices doesn't allow you the choice of where you'll travel to.
I'm up the 5th chapter now. There's a sense of retreading the same environment sometimes. And yet, in some choices where it would be clearly possible for the game to let you change your mind, it doesn't let you. Which would be OK in a rollercoaster of a game like Until Dawn but this doesn't feel like a rollercoaster of a game. The quick time events are so massively dumbed down that they are more a choice for if the player wants to see the fail state consequence. Although, to be fair, there are route choices to make that don't necessarily have an easily forseeaable outcome. This is more about two people talking to each other, two other people talking to each other. Of course, stuff tends to happen when you're playing a character on their own. The environments allow some wandering but often with little incident. The only character death (if it is a death) I've had so far was due to a reasonable level of curiousity, not any 'failing' on my part (unless, of course, my failing was not finding the relevant premonition of that situation). So far, this game is certainly keeping me guessing about how certain strands, and certain character motivations, come together but it mostly comes across as a dating sim walking simulator. Which is fine but this game so far is not scary really in anything more than a 12 certificate way. Maybe it really wasn't meant to be, despite being an 18 certificate.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest