The Student Room Group

What's the difference between OCR Physics papers?

For A level, there are 3 papers but they all have kind of cryptic titles.

Physics Paper 1 - Modelling physics
Physics Paper 2 - Exploring physics
Physics Paper 3 - Unified physics

I'm wondering what these actually mean in terms of content/types of questions in the papers. For AS it was simple; breadth had MCQs and quite short answer questions while depth had much longer questions.

I've noticed that PhysP1 normally deals with forces, materials, dynamics and more of the physical side, while P2 deals more with quantum, electricity, magnetism and waves, the more theoretical side. Is that correct? Is there a set list of topics/paper somewhere? Thanks.
Original post by habeebm

I'm wondering what these actually mean in terms of content/types of questions in the papers. For AS it was simple; breadth had MCQs and quite short answer questions while depth had much longer questions.

I've noticed that PhysP1 normally deals with forces, materials, dynamics and more of the physical side, while P2 deals more with quantum, electricity, magnetism and waves, the more theoretical side. Is that correct? Is there a set list of topics/paper somewhere? Thanks.

Yes and yes. Page 5 of the specification: “The specification overview” under “Content Overview”

https://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/171726-specification-accredited-a-level-gce-physics-a-h556.pdf
Reply 2
Ah, thank you so much!
Original post by habeebm

Paper 3 is the harder of the papers - 70 marks with synoptic questions about the whole specification, and links in different topics within one question. School go on quite a bit about preparing for paper 3, because if you can answer synoptic Qs then you should be able to do pretty much everything else.

Quick Reply

Latest