The Student Room Group

Grade 9 History students

SO straight to the point. 3 months left. Trying to get a 9 and struggling. How do i get the 9? Every small bit of info is useful for me. Thanks
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Inam.M
SO straight to the point. 3 months left. Trying to get a 9 and struggling. How do i get the 9? Every small bit of info is useful for me. Thanks

make sure you’re familiar with all the structures of every single question. also do lots of active recall + flashcards for history! history is not too bad- once you get the content all memorised you will find it quite easy.
Plan every exam questions u find, write some up and give to ur teacher to read and mark. Make sure u do most of ur essays under timed conditions. Cuz what I did was 40% of my essays weren’t under timed conditions to make sure my structure was good but for 60% I did them under timed conditions

I re-read my textbook until i could remember the contents inside out.

Hopefully this helps u
Good luck ❤️
Reply 3
Original post by Inam.M

I'll usually revise the content with an A3 sheet, flashcards, whatever and then get someone (my sister or mum usually) to ask me questions about it but knowing the structure for every question is definitely the most helpful
Reply 4
Original post by ku2006
make sure you’re familiar with all the structures of every single question. also do lots of active recall + flashcards for history! history is not too bad- once you get the content all memorised you will find it quite easy.

Thanks for replying. Honestly appreciated. So thing is my teacher is not good. I dont know how im supposed to structure certain questions for like an easy way for a grade 9. Do you have like strucutres that are top class?
Reply 5
Original post by kitty2005
Plan every exam questions u find, write some up and give to ur teacher to read and mark. Make sure u do most of ur essays under timed conditions. Cuz what I did was 40% of my essays weren’t under timed conditions to make sure my structure was good but for 60% I did them under timed conditions

I re-read my textbook until i could remember the contents inside out.

Hopefully this helps u
Good luck ❤️

Thank you so much for replying. So i bought edexcel textbooks they are blue. Pearson ones. But many ppl say rereading wont help me learn. So i need advice on how to memorise all the content in 3 months and whats the most effective way to do that
Reply 6
Original post by miac16
I'll usually revise the content with an A3 sheet, flashcards, whatever and then get someone (my sister or mum usually) to ask me questions about it but knowing the structure for every question is definitely the most helpful

Lol need help on the structures. Need a solid grade 9 level structure to follow for different types of essays
Original post by Inam.M
Thank you so much for replying. So i bought edexcel textbooks they are blue. Pearson ones. But many ppl say rereading wont help me learn. So i need advice on how to memorise all the content in 3 months and whats the most effective way to do that

Blurting and flashcards
I kept on reading my textbook cuz I had mocks frequently 😅
Reply 8
Original post by Inam.M
Lol need help on the structures. Need a solid grade 9 level structure to follow for different types of essays

I do OCR-B living under Nazi rule, history around us, making of America, peoples health and Elizabethans and it's different depending on what question you're doing so I'd ask your history teachers for a sentence structure since it's different based on your course and exam board but my teacher went through the mark scheme to make them for us if that's any help!
Original post by Inam.M

Heya!
Focus on doing practice questions + know the structure of how to answer different history questions. Also, make sure you plan your essays before doing the questions, always helped me :h:

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL FPE
Study Mind
Reply 10
Blurting and flashcards
I kept on reading my textbook cuz I had mocks frequently 😅

How much times did u reread it and do u recommend me to do it
Reply 11
Original post by StudyMind
Heya!
Focus on doing practice questions + know the structure of how to answer different history questions. Also, make sure you plan your essays before doing the questions, always helped me :h:

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL FPE
Study Mind

any places where i can look for the best structure?
Original post by Inam.M
any places where i can look for the best structure?

Heya!
I would recommend talking to your teacher (asking for suggestions) or finding some examples online and forming a structure from there :h: My teachers usually gave us a structure we should follow for essays. Examples on the internet also can give you an idea of how history essays are written.

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Original post by Inam.M
How much times did u reread it and do u recommend me to do it

tbh it was countless times because my school kept on doing mocks so I always had to read it. Well... No, cuz i think using flashcards, especially on anki, it would save you time.
you just gotta come in hard every day cos it's all about the grind
just put everything into it every day and you will get there one day
never surrender. just never surrender. learn the facts. compare the sources. just go so hard every day.
Reply 15
tbh it was countless times because my school kept on doing mocks so I always had to read it. Well... No, cuz i think using flashcards, especially on anki, it would save you time.

What exam board did you do? IF you did edexcel, would you mind if i emailed you my hsitory anki and you reading over it. Someone else made it. so what do you suggest i remake it whilst only having less than 3 months before my exams or should i use the one already made. Pls lmk
Original post by Inam.M
What exam board did you do? IF you did edexcel, would you mind if i emailed you my hsitory anki and you reading over it. Someone else made it. so what do you suggest i remake it whilst only having less than 3 months before my exams or should i use the one already made. Pls lmk

Hi there, incredibly heavy Anki user here (like, it forms 95% of my revision at A-Level).

Don't use other people's Anki sets as a general rule of thumb. I've found the shared decks to be very badly formulated and too personalised for general use. I suggest you either make your own content or export flashcards from Quizlet (there's a plugin)
Reply 17
Original post by BarnabyK
Hi there, incredibly heavy Anki user here (like, it forms 95% of my revision at A-Level).

Don't use other people's Anki sets as a general rule of thumb. I've found the shared decks to be very badly formulated and too personalised for general use. I suggest you either make your own content or export flashcards from Quizlet (there's a plugin)

No the person the anki has been made by is a friend of mine and he got a grade 8. I cross referenced the anki with the edexcel official revision guide and you can see its directly been made using that. So what i was thinking is if i made by myself it will help me learn quicker. But the question is will i have enough time until gcses to get a grade 9 doing this?
Original post by Inam.M
Thanks for replying. Honestly appreciated. So thing is my teacher is not good. I dont know how im supposed to structure certain questions for like an easy way for a grade 9. Do you have like strucutres that are top class?

the topics i do are cold war, germany, crime and punishment and elizabeth.
the structure for 16 markers should generally be the same i don't think it matters too much what topics you do. usually, the structure for 16 markers are: short intro, para 1- agree with the viewpoint, para 2- disagree, para 3- your opinion para 4- conclusion and use peel throughout put expand on your pieces of evidence. if you do germany however, the structure is slightly different- you need to do agree with the interpretation, disagree, agree with other interpretation, disagree with other interpretation, conclusion- for each para you need to use a quote and two pieces of evidence to support it.
for 12 markers the structure is usually 3 PEEEL paras- you need to use 2 pieces of evidence instead of just one.
let me know the topics you do and exam board and i can give you further structure advice after.
Reply 19
Original post by BarnabyK

hi can you lmk the name of the plug-in? the one i used to use doesn’t really work for me

Quick Reply

Latest