The Student Room Group

Dissertaion

Is it possible for me to write a 5000 word dissertation in 2 months although I never started the data collection and research?
Original post by Su16785
Is it possible for me to write a 5000 word dissertation in 2 months although I never started the data collection and research?

I don't know how to break this to you...

When I was doing a master's dissertation that required me to write 10k words, I did it in 2 weeks because I left it too late (strongly don't recommend this because I spent 18 hours of every day of the 2 weeks in a computer room and library to get things done - I sometimes ended up sleeping in the computer room because I was too tired and just fell asleep). In those 2 weeks, I managed to score a total of 60k words before I had to cut it down.

I wrote a 7k word report over the course of 3 days, until my tutor told me to cut it out and it was overkill for a 2k essay

i wrote a 22k word guide on how to do an entry level job in catering in 2 weeks (because I was feeling lazy, not because I can't do it in a shorter time frame)

I wrote a 22k word guide on how to study at higher education in 5 afternoons, because I wanted to take it easy.

A standard 2k word essay can be completed in 2 weeks, whilst juggling with multiple commitments, seminars, lectures, etc. 3 of these can easily be done in 4 weeks (although I don't like the time pressure and juggling commitments)

Your 5k word dissertation is barely a bleep on the radar. If you start early, you won't end up having to suffer for it later.
To make it easier on yourself, learn to touch type in 10 hours if you haven't already.
Research shouldn't take more than 2 weeks if you know where to look or how to go about it.
I don't know what the topic you are doing, so I won't comment on the data. However, if the data is readily available, you shouldn't need more than 30 minutes to get it. Analysing it is another matter; it depends on what you are taught.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I don't know how to break this to you...

When I was doing a master's dissertation that required me to write 10k words, I did it in 2 weeks because I left it too late (strongly don't recommend this because I spent 18 hours of every day of the 2 weeks in a computer room and library to get things done - I sometimes ended up sleeping in the computer room because I was too tired and just fell asleep). In those 2 weeks, I managed to score a total of 60k words before I had to cut it down.

I wrote a 7k word report over the course of 3 days, until my tutor told me to cut it out and it was overkill for a 2k essay

i wrote a 22k word guide on how to do an entry level job in catering in 2 weeks (because I was feeling lazy, not because I can't do it in a shorter time frame)

I wrote a 22k word guide on how to study at higher education in 5 afternoons, because I wanted to take it easy.

A standard 2k word essay can be completed in 2 weeks, whilst juggling with multiple commitments, seminars, lectures, etc. 3 of these can easily be done in 4 weeks (although I don't like the time pressure and juggling commitments)

Your 5k word dissertation is barely a bleep on the radar. If you start early, you won't end up having to suffer for it later.
To make it easier on yourself, learn to touch type in 10 hours if you haven't already.
Research shouldn't take more than 2 weeks if you know where to look or how to go about it.
I don't know what the topic you are doing, so I won't comment on the data. However, if the data is readily available, you shouldn't need more than 30 minutes to get it. Analysing it is another matter; it depends on what you are taught.

Hi thank thank you , the analysis I’m doing is qualitative content analysis.Whats your view on that?
Original post by Su16785
Hi thank thank you , the analysis I’m doing is qualitative content analysis.Whats your view on that?

A lot of typing and commentary. I would think of it like an analytical essay. It doesn't change my approach.
If you have specific questions on qualitative analysis, let me know.

If you're a slow reader, it's always recommended to learn and practice speed reading. If you need links for recommendations on how you approach this, also let me know.

Is this for psychology by the way?
Hi Su16785,

I would say that it is very possible for you to finish your dissertation in 2 months. While it's not ideal, it can be done! I would recommend that for the remaining time you have left you divide it up as you need it. E.g: some weeks for research/ data collection, then a few weeks dedicated to writing, then the rest to editing etc.
It will require a lot of good time management, but is possible. :smile:

Good luck!
Jessica - University of Sunderland Ambassador.
Yes, with proper planning on what sections need to be done, and how you will gather data, you can do it within the stipulated two month window
I did 8000 words for one module of my law masters in the 2-3 weeks pre Xmas (whole module only 10 weeks)

So actually writing 1000 words a day is so able (in my 24 hour exams I answered 3 1000 word questions fairly easily)

You just need to crack on with it. Start the research asap so you know what you are writing about. Then commit
Original post by Su16785

If you plan it carefully and work very hard it'll be doable. I think that if you are doing primary data collection it might be tough, so I would go for a methodology which rely on secondary data analysis, avoiding the issues of collecting data, and therefore is potentially quicker and less can go wrong..

Good luck!

Malachy - University of Liverpool Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest