The Student Room Group

advice on classics research question??

i’m currently putting together a research proposal for an internal research project competition within my school. however, i can’t decide between two titles. i know that it will be classics-related, and my current two options are:

- to what extent did augustus’ social and political policies influence the latin literature of rome’s golden age?
- how have different translations of latin literature over time shaped our perception of the female characters within them?

the first title seems a little bit more niche and ‘academic’ if you will, but the second one would likely appeal more to the general public (i should note that the judging panel is made up of school governors, so they won’t have any subject knowledge and so i wanted to pick a title that would be engaging for both me and the audience).

any advice?? or do you have any better ideas or alterations i could make to either title?
Personally, if it were me, I'd pick the first one.

Unless you're a very skilled translator yourself, you're not going to be able to go into the kind of detail needed to be able to dissect the various translations of latin literature to compare it to the original, to see exactly how female characters were "supposed" to be depicted by the original latin authors / poets. I think you'll find yourself struggling with this somewhat.

The first one you can make very engaging - I don't think it's particularly niche or "academic". You can compare writers and poets such as Ovid, Virgil, and Livy who wrote in contemporary Augustan times. All have very different styles of writing, but there's a lot of propaganda involved (but also a touch of scepticism at times), and many links to Augustus.
Reply 2
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
Personally, if it were me, I'd pick the first one.

Unless you're a very skilled translator yourself, you're not going to be able to go into the kind of detail needed to be able to dissect the various translations of latin literature to compare it to the original, to see exactly how female characters were "supposed" to be depicted by the original latin authors / poets. I think you'll find yourself struggling with this somewhat.

The first one you can make very engaging - I don't think it's particularly niche or "academic". You can compare writers and poets such as Ovid, Virgil, and Livy who wrote in contemporary Augustan times. All have very different styles of writing, but there's a lot of propaganda involved (but also a touch of scepticism at times), and many links to Augustus.

thank you so much! i see your point. i’ll probably go with the first one then.

Quick Reply

Latest