The Student Room Group

Should I email and ask the professor if I get paid or placement year or no?

Should I ask or is it rude to or should I just ask for more details?
Reply 1
Original post by Golae2451

80% of the times you get paid for when you go on placement years. Average in Uk is £21000

I think, to be honest, if it’s a genuine question, the professor can be annoyed all they like, but you’re allowed to ask, and should.

If you’re uncomfortable with potentially being rude, you could frame it as a problem you’re facing financially. Like “Oh, money is a bit tight at the moment, and I don’t think we get paid for placement…”. If you are to get paid, they’ll likely correct you, and if you aren’t they’ll let you carry on with that assumption.
Reply 3
Original post by heinzbeans7
I think, to be honest, if it’s a genuine question, the professor can be annoyed all they like, but you’re allowed to ask, and should.

If you’re uncomfortable with potentially being rude, you could frame it as a problem you’re facing financially. Like “Oh, money is a bit tight at the moment, and I don’t think we get paid for placement…”. If you are to get paid, they’ll likely correct you, and if you aren’t they’ll let you carry on with that assumption.

That's smart, thank you
That's smart, thank you

No problem 👍

Hi @Golae2451

It is definitely worth asking if a placement will be paid. I’m sure as long as you word it in a polite manner the lecturer will not find it rude.

Best of luck with your placement!

Tineke
Lancaster Student Ambassador
That's smart, thank you

You apply for your own placements and only apply for paid ones - I don't understand your question.

Hey Golae2451,

What course are you doing? Whether your placement is paid or not depends on where you want to do your placement really. A lot of industries do pay you for placements but if you're doing say a year abroad then this usually needs to be self-funded.

The course that I'm doing is applied biomedical science which includes a placement year in an NHS lab that is normally unpaid apart from a few select places. I chose this course knowing it would be unpaid as it's an important part of getting IBMS accredited before graduating. There are people on my course who aren't that fussed about getting accredited so are going down the industry placement route in pharmaceuticals like at Pfizer that are more likely to be paid.

Hope that helps :smile:
Essex Student Rep - Hayley
Reply 8
Original post by EssexStudentRep
Hey Golae2451,

What course are you doing? Whether your placement is paid or not depends on where you want to do your placement really. A lot of industries do pay you for placements but if you're doing say a year abroad then this usually needs to be self-funded.

The course that I'm doing is applied biomedical science which includes a placement year in an NHS lab that is normally unpaid apart from a few select places. I chose this course knowing it would be unpaid as it's an important part of getting IBMS accredited before graduating. There are people on my course who aren't that fussed about getting accredited so are going down the industry placement route in pharmaceuticals like at Pfizer that are more likely to be paid.

Hope that helps :smile:

I am doing pharmacology, will I still get paid?
I am doing pharmacology, will I still get paid?

Hey Golae2451

Paid placements are very competitive and not guaranteed. You do still need to search for them yourself, apply and go through the interview process like you would for a normal job. You are competing with students across the country for a limited number of placement opportunities. If the placement is paid it will state it on the job advert.

Gradcracker is a useful website to check for advertised placements:
https://www.gradcracker.com/search/science/pharmacology-work-placements-internships?duration=Year-long

And the British Pharmacological Society
https://www.bps.ac.uk/careers-in-pharmacology/jobs-opportunities/internships-placements

Placements do need to be approved by your university course provider as well but when you start university there should be lots of career help and guidance, especially in your second year as placements usually happen between second and third year

Best wishes

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending