The Student Room Group

my local place, chelmsford, case study geography

hi! for edexcel geography alevel we have to fill in a document on Chelmsford, essex. I was wondering if anyone has done this for this area before or could help me out with it. I have attached the questions below:

1. All the following need to be done for 2011 and 2021:
- % of population that are income deprived/low income
- % of derelict/abandoned land
- % of crime rates
- % of British only
- % rented houses
- % mortgage
- % divorced
- % black
- % with Level 4 qualification
- % white British
- % of those that do 15 hours of work
- % of those that do 31-48 hours
- % Christian
- % non UK identity
- % of Good and very good health
- % of population aged 60+

2. past and present connections that have shared the economic and social characteristics of Chelmsford in these scales and what sources where used in this scale:
- regional
- national
- global
- international

3. Consideration of the way in which economic and social changes in your chosen places have influenced people’s identity through oral histories, social media, essex life, local newspaper etc

4. evaluate the need for regeneration of the following places by using the markers * for strongly need, + for need, - for don't need, - - for strongly don't need:
Local Residents
Local Businesses
Essex County Council
Conservationists
Bull Lodge Quarry
Chelmsford City Council
Developers / Construction Companies

5. for and against regeneration for the above places
6. overall summary of whole case study
7. for Chelmsford evaluate the view that low income is the most important factor leading to deprivation (20 marks)

Thank you so much this would really help as I'm struggling to do it and find any data! :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Emily:)1
hi! for edexcel geography alevel we have to fill in a document on Chelmsford, essex. I was wondering if anyone has done this for this area before or could help me out with it. I have attached the questions below:

1. All the following need to be done for 2011 and 2021:
- % of population that are income deprived/low income
- % of derelict/abandoned land
- % of crime rates
- % of British only
- % rented houses
- % mortgage
- % divorced
- % black
- % with Level 4 qualification
- % white British
- % of those that do 15 hours of work
- % of those that do 31-48 hours
- % Christian
- % non UK identity
- % of Good and very good health
- % of population aged 60+

2. past and present connections that have shared the economic and social characteristics of Chelmsford in these scales and what sources where used in this scale:
- regional
- national
- global
- international

3. Consideration of the way in which economic and social changes in your chosen places have influenced people’s identity through oral histories, social media, essex life, local newspaper etc

4. evaluate the need for regeneration of the following places by using the markers * for strongly need, + for need, - for don't need, - - for strongly don't need:
Local Residents
Local Businesses
Essex County Council
Conservationists
Bull Lodge Quarry
Chelmsford City Council
Developers / Construction Companies

5. for and against regeneration for the above places
6. overall summary of whole case study
7. for Chelmsford evaluate the view that low income is the most important factor leading to deprivation (20 marks)

Thank you so much this would really help as I'm struggling to do it and find any data! :smile:

Hello! I'm not a geography student, but for the first question at least I recommend downloading this spreadsheet from the Office of National Statistics: https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/housing/datasets/townsandcitiesanalysis
If you see, they have information on population, crime rate, mortgages etc., for every town/city in the UK: Chelmsford is near the top, luckily haha.
In regard to past/present connexions and newspapers on the changing of Chelmsford you might want to check out the National Newspaper Archives: I've attached a filter of Chelmsford, and it has records from late 18th century, that with a bit of filtering you might be able to find some interesting things to see how Chelmsford has changed and regarded change: https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/search/results?retrievecountrycounts=false&sortorder=dayearly&place=chelmsford%2c%20essex%2c%20england .

There might be more useful in the Chelmsford Public Library, if you're close enough to visit: they often have historical displays showing social histories, life, etc.

I'm not sure how much if this will help, especially the latter, but hopefully these will provide you with at least a little information :smile:. I wish you luck with your case study!
Reply 2
Original post by {Moss}
Hello! I'm not a geography student, but for the first question at least I recommend downloading this spreadsheet from the Office of National Statistics: https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/housing/datasets/townsandcitiesanalysis
If you see, they have information on population, crime rate, mortgages etc., for every town/city in the UK: Chelmsford is near the top, luckily haha.
In regard to past/present connexions and newspapers on the changing of Chelmsford you might want to check out the National Newspaper Archives: I've attached a filter of Chelmsford, and it has records from late 18th century, that with a bit of filtering you might be able to find some interesting things to see how Chelmsford has changed and regarded change: https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/search/results?retrievecountrycounts=false&sortorder=dayearly&place=chelmsford%2c%20essex%2c%20england .

There might be more useful in the Chelmsford Public Library, if you're close enough to visit: they often have historical displays showing social histories, life, etc.

I'm not sure how much if this will help, especially the latter, but hopefully these will provide you with at least a little information :smile:. I wish you luck with your case study!

thank you so much! this is very helpful, how kind of you! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest