The Student Room Group

struggling & failing A-level chemistry help!!!!!

I am really struggling with A- level chemistry in every exam that we've done I've not managed to pass.Its not that i don't understand the content ( even though i hardly do) but i can hardly answer questions according to the mark scheme.If there are any premade flash cards or tips+ tricks that would be appreciated.
Original post by angell_vv
I am really struggling with A- level chemistry in every exam that we've done I've not managed to pass.Its not that i don't understand the content ( even though i hardly do) but i can hardly answer questions according to the mark scheme.If there are any premade flash cards or tips+ tricks that would be appreciated.

If you do OCR A - I can help in terms of getting the marks.
Reply 2
I do OCR B even though im not sure of the difference between the two i would still really appreciate you still helping, at this point any little helps
OCR B is much more stringent with the marking criteria compared to other boards if memory serves. It’s also an uncommon exam board, so there aren’t many resources available for it.

I’d say give PhysicsAndMathsTutor a look. Find the storylines you find the most problematic and you should find flashcards sorted by topic.

https://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/chemistry-revision/a-level-ocr-b/
I do OCR B even though im not sure of the difference between the two i would still really appreciate you still helping, at this point any little helps

OCR B is more context based than OCR A - that’s what it says on the spec.
Reply 5
Original post by TypicalNerd
OCR B is much more stringent with the marking criteria compared to other boards if memory serves. It’s also an uncommon exam board, so there aren’t many resources available for it.

I’d say give PhysicsAndMathsTutor a look. Find the storylines you find the most problematic and you should find flashcards sorted by topic.

https://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/chemistry-revision/a-level-ocr-b/

I've just taken a look and it seems great thanks!Do you know of any website similar to seneca but for free?
Reply 6
Original post by JA03
OCR B is more context based than OCR A - that’s what it says on the spec.

oohh i see would it be wrong to use ocr A revision sources because i really cant find many for ocr b
oohh i see would it be wrong to use ocr A revision sources because i really cant find many for ocr b

I would advise against using OCR A materials given how much A and B differ. PhysicsAndMathsTutor and Allery Chemistry are your best bets.
Reply 8
Original post by TypicalNerd
I would advise against using OCR A materials given how much A and B differ. PhysicsAndMathsTutor and Allery Chemistry are your best bets.

oh okay thank you so much! does anyone have any tips on how i could revise for chemistry I've tried active recall; rewriting notes, and text books don't work for me also I've tried flashcards but have never got far because they are so time consuming to create

Heya!
I would recommend focusing on doing practice questions by topic to ensure you understood the material :h: It seems like you might not know how to apply your knowledge to answer questions which can be fixed by doing tons of practice questions. Do practice questions and then go over the mark scheme and note down why you have lost the marks and how you can improve your answer (make it into flashcards!). If it helps, Study Mind has free practice questions and revision notes all by topic you might find helpful!

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind
oh okay thank you so much! does anyone have any tips on how i could revise for chemistry I've tried active recall; rewriting notes, and text books don't work for me also I've tried flashcards but have never got far because they are so time consuming to create

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7253201&p=97549790&page=2#post97549790

This is the best advice I can really offer. As I’ve said previously on this thread, PhysicsAndMathsTutor and Allery Chemistry will be the two best resources you can access for OCR B.
Reply 11
thank you!
Reply 12

I get your frustration, A-level chem was also very difficult for me to grasp. My main mistake was in using shortcuts like Chemrevise without understanding the basic concepts. So first step is to get a text book that simplifies things presented in your main textbook, I always find that the CGP books work well for this - but they don't cover everything. So once you've understood basic concepts you can move on to main text book and try watching youtube videos where you're still struggling on certain topics.

In terms of revision techniques, I didn't find a quick and easy way tbh, I just read and reread the textbooks until I could recite the chapters word for word. And between this I did every practice question I could get my hands on.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 13
Original post by WRK
I get your frustration, A-level chem was also very difficult for me to grasp. My main mistake was in using shortcuts like Chemrevise without understanding the basic concepts. So first step is to get a text book that simplifies things presented in your main textbook, I always find that the CGP books work well for this - but they don't cover everything. So once you've understood basic concepts you can move on to main text book and try watching youtube videos where you're still struggling on certain topics.

In terms of revision techniques, I didn't find a quick and easy way tbh, I just read and reread the textbooks until I could recite the chapters word for word. And between this I did every practice question I could get my hands on.

wow this is great advice I never really thought about the way I revise in that way ( in terms of looking for shortcuts rather than focusing on basic concepts) thanks so much I will deffo try this out
Reply 14
Original post by StudyMind
Heya!
I would recommend focusing on doing practice questions by topic to ensure you understood the material :h: It seems like you might not know how to apply your knowledge to answer questions which can be fixed by doing tons of practice questions. Do practice questions and then go over the mark scheme and note down why you have lost the marks and how you can improve your answer (make it into flashcards!). If it helps, Study Mind has free practice questions and revision notes all by topic you might find helpful!

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

thanks so much!

Quick Reply

Latest