The Student Room Group

History dissertation topic

Hi
I have about a wee to pick a dissertation topic and im so stressed out. My advisor basically said they can’t help us and we need to think ourselves but I’ve spent the last week just looking at random topics.
Im interested in woman’s health in the late 19th and 20th century mostly but I Judy can’t think of anything and really starting to mentally suffer from it
Why not pick women's health in the 21st century for your dissertation as it would still give you a lot to write about?
Original post by Anonymous
Hi
I have about a wee to pick a dissertation topic and im so stressed out. My advisor basically said they can’t help us and we need to think ourselves but I’ve spent the last week just looking at random topics.
Im interested in woman’s health in the late 19th and 20th century mostly but I Judy can’t think of anything and really starting to mentally suffer from it

Expanding from my previous post, some examples could be focusing on mental health, sexual/menstrual health or lack of attention of women's overall health.
Original post by Anonymous
Expanding from my previous post, some examples could be focusing on mental health, sexual/menstrual health or lack of attention of women's overall health.

One idea I had was how the menopause was represented and viewed in media (magazines/newspapers) in the later 20th century but most of the women’s magazines I found you need to pay for the archives which is an issue
I'd recommend either flicking through the work of historians you've previously enjoyed reading and seeing if anything catches your interest, and browsing archival collections simply to know what's out there. The Women's Library at London School of Economics holds brilliant collections fitting well within your research interests, and their online catalogue contains fairly detailed descriptions. You may also find that the earlier you go in the time period you're interested in, the easier it is to get hold of sources for free online as they come out of copyright.

I'd really advise not getting too caught up on the idea of researching something that's never been done before. At undergraduate level this isn't expected, especially as you don't really get offered the time and resources to do so. Also, once you have a basic idea your supervisor can help you refine your concept and point you in the direction of research avenues. Your research will probably change as you go along!

Quick Reply

Latest