The Student Room Group

cannot grasp Amount of Substance :(

Hi! I’m currently in year 12 and i’ve been doing fairly well with almost all of chemistry topics i’ve done so far apart from Amount of Substance. I’m really hoping for an A/A* yet I literally cannot get my head around the topic and I know this topic is incredibly important as it’s the basis for the majority of maths in A-Level Chemistry. Whenever I think I have an understanding of it, the moment i’m in test conditions I get so lost.

Does anyone have any tips or tricks or resources that might come in hand? Thanks!

p.s i have dyscalculia so i think this possibly might be a reason for me to struggle in this specific topic however it is something i’m certain i can work around as i have done so in the past!! it just makes me a bit slower, but not incapable.
Is it the equations you struggle with? Or the idea of moles? Or is there anything specific that stumps you?
Original post by meowsies
Hi! I’m currently in year 12 and i’ve been doing fairly well with almost all of chemistry topics i’ve done so far apart from Amount of Substance. I’m really hoping for an A/A* yet I literally cannot get my head around the topic and I know this topic is incredibly important as it’s the basis for the majority of maths in A-Level Chemistry. Whenever I think I have an understanding of it, the moment i’m in test conditions I get so lost.

Does anyone have any tips or tricks or resources that might come in hand? Thanks!

p.s i have dyscalculia so i think this possibly might be a reason for me to struggle in this specific topic however it is something i’m certain i can work around as i have done so in the past!! it just makes me a bit slower, but not incapable.

Try some of the following resources - they give walkthroughs by subject. Seeing someone else explain it might help:

MaChemGuy
https://www.youtube.com/@MaChemGuy/featured

Dr Clay
Youtube https://www.youtube.com/user/DocClay1978?app=desktop

Eliot Rintoul
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCps4gUjfZsu6-b-7mwK41lg

Allery Chemistry
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPtWS4fCi25YHw5SPGdPz0g
Original post by meowsies

As someone said up the thread, what exactly is it about this topic with which you are struggling? The basic concepts are easy: substances (be they atom, molecules, ions or whatever) react in certain ratios, and so it is necessary to know how many of the reacting 'particles' you have of each thing which is reacting. You can't just weigh things, because atoms, molecules etc all weigh differently. Thus, there is a concept called the mole which is the SI unit of 'amount of substance' - this is 6.022x1023 'particles'. Note, this is just a way of referring to a specific number of 'particles' - you could have a 'mole' of cars, a 'mole' of moles, or a TSR A level student who has a 'mole' of Grade 9s at GCSE (Oxbridge's standard requirement for admission).

Once you've got a handle on this, start to think about what it means if I tell you that 12g of carbon contains one mole of carbon atoms. What is the Ar of carbon? And can you see a relationship between that and the Ar of other elements, and how that could help you use the concept of mole when considering chemical reactions?

Quick Reply

Latest