The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

About how many clubs and activities I can join?

Hi, I received conditional offer for masters(Postgraduate) and I am firm about my decision for Exeter. During my undergraduate, I didn't had the opportunity to get my foot in extra-curriculars like universities in UK have. There are many things I want to continue and many new things I want to learn. Is there any limit for joining the clubs and societies? I am interested in sports as well. I am a complete beginner in all. Does it affect academics significantly? I have one year to explore and study abroad in UK and I want to make the best out of it.
Hiya, firstly congratulations on your offer!

There is no limit to the number of societies you can join, it's really up to you how many you would like to join. However, don't overload yourself with activities and neglect your studying, that's really the only consideration you need to think about!

In my first year I joined around 10 societies, quite a few I only went to a couple of socials, so if you want to regularly go to most of the events a society has, maybe limit yourself to 4 or 5 and see how you go. This year I'm on the committee for 2 societies, and then a member of 1 other, and that's plenty for me, but I'd imagine that if I weren't on committee then I would have more free time for other societies.

Exeter has literally hundreds of societies and sports clubs you could join, and if there's any missing, you can even create your own!

Sports clubs are open to everyone, no matter if you have any previous experience or skill, so don't worry about being a beginner :smile:

I hope this has helped, please let me know if you have any other questions!

Erica
University of Exeter Student Ambassador
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
With socs, it depends largely on if there is an end product - if you join a musical theatre or big band soc, and there is going to be a production/show - then you can't really dip in and out. With the more social or esoteric socs, then it could be as many as you like. I see no reason why you couldn't be in Japanese soc, Christian Union, Economics, Comic books and so on all at the same time.

With sports, it depends how good you are and how good the team is. If you are a decent team sports player - rugby, hockey, netball and in teams maybe 1st to 4th - I can see that they will be quite demanding on you and I really don't see how you'd have time for another sport other than maybe a casual game of badminton on Sunday evening. Certainly if you're in a top competitive sport, I think you'd be expected to be at training several days a week and for things like rowing, you'd be expected to be in the gym almost daily if not daily. Exeter is a top sporting uni, and if you are good at a sport then there will be certain expectations on your time.

If you want to play casually, or play a non-serious sport, then the situation would be different. There are going to be intramural teams, development teams for the big sports and things like Korfball or Ultimate are never going to be on the same level as the others.

Quick Reply