The Student Room Group

Is it possible to live and study at Cambridge with only part time job?

I am considering moving to Cambridge to study but I did not get a scholarship and I was wondering if anyone tried to study and work at the same time and how did it go?
Reply 1
Oxbridge have very strict rules that you cannot work during term time and honestly from hearing about the workload I don’t think you’ll want to.
They have 3, 8 week terms meaning you are only there for 24 weeks so you can work the rest of the year to save up
Original post by Brother of Duck
I am considering moving to Cambridge to study but I did not get a scholarship and I was wondering if anyone tried to study and work at the same time and how did it go?

There is more than one university in Cambridge: I'll presume you're talking about the original one here, the University of Cambridge.

As @ALEreapp says, Cambridge does not permit paid employment during term, apart from some college-based activities such as working behind the bar, or stewarding at bops etc. If your DoS/tutor finds out that you are doing paid employment, there would be consequences - particularly if there were any academic issues.

Cambridge has a generous system of bursaries; their generosity reflects the desire of Cambridge for you to focus solely on your studies and not have to try to fit in paid work to make ends meet. This is for Home students: international/self-funded students have access to different bursaries/scholarships, and your college would want to see evidence of sufficient funds before offering you a place - precisely to avoid this sort of thing of candidates accepting offers without being in a financial position to devote their time solely to their studies.

Quite apart from the above, Cambridge terms are very intensive and there simply wouldn't be time to fit in any appreciable amount of paid employment anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest