The Student Room Group

A level English lit othello

I have some English lit homework due tomorrow and one of the things we have to do if write a paragraph about what links these quotes but I can’t figure it out. Can anyone help please?
Othello A1 S3 'She loved me for the dangers had passed/This only is the Witchcraft I have used’
2) Duke A1 s3 'Your son-in-law is far more fair than black’
3) lago A1 S3 'Hell and night /Must bring this monstrous birth to the world's light’
4) lago A2 S3 'So will I turn her virtue into pitch /And out of her own goodness make the net/That shall enmesh them all'
5) Othello A4 S1 'it comes o'er my memory/As doth the Raven o'er the infected house'
It is half-Term where I live.

How to analyse a quote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRfOlrJuicE

This is about linking paragraphs but you can replace the word with quotation and write a Paragraph.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUh6KaNrM6c

Othello A1 S3 'She loved me for the dangers had passed/This only is the Witchcraft I have used’

I break it down into

'She loved me for the dangers had passed'

'This only is the Witchcraft I have used’

What does 'She loved me for the dangers had passed,' mean I have absolutely no idea this is this phrase is isolation. I need to put it into context whereas I have listened to the play audio. I have not read or annotated or learn famous quotes book. I cut and paste the quote into the google search and what do you know?

'She loved me for the dangers had passed'
https://www.yorknotes.com/alevel/english-literature/othello-advanced/study/the-text/01040100_act-i-scene-3

Thank goodness for York Notes!

"What are the origins of their love? Othello says that Desdemona loved me for the dangers I had passed / And I loved her that she did pity them (lines 168–9). Desdemona was seduced by Othello’s story-telling powers, while the Moor was enchanted by the Venetian’s sympathetic response to his history. There is no question of their ardent sincerity, but we might wonder whether each perhaps fell in love with an image or idea of the other. We may also choose to question how realistic Othello is about love. He professes that he has had little experience in matters of the heart. He is eloquent when describing his experiences as a soldier, but needed prompting to woo Desdemona and seems to expect to be able to continue his military duties without any distractions. He is firm and confident about this: love and war can be combined."
Accessed 23/02/2023

'This only is the Witchcraft I have used’

Thank goodness for literature Stack Exchange!
https://literature.stackexchange.com/questions/14499/is-othello-being-deceptive-when-he-says-this-only-is-the-witchcraft-i-have-use

"When Othello is brought before an “ad hoc” court of law for surreptitiously marring Desdemona, Brabantio essentially accuses him of using “witchcraft” as a means of seducing his daughter suggesting,

She is abused . . . By spells and medicines bought of mountebanks . . . Sans witchcraft could not. (1.3.60-64)

Othello emphatically denies any witchcraft and claims his amazing stories are the only "charm" he used. However, later Othello admits that the handkerchief he had given Desdemona (his first gift to her) was given to his mother by a “charmer” and was actually used by his own mother to “subdue [his] father” (3.4.58ff).

While Othello is convincing in his defense of not using witchcraft to woo Desdemona, this story of the Egyptian woman in Act 3 makes it appear that Othello was lying previously. Was his defense a harmless inexactitude; or was he (understandably) lying to save himself from the allegation of using witchcraft to charm Desdemona?" Accessed 23/02/ 2023

Both together...
She loved me for the dangers I had passed,
And I loved her that she did pity them.

In this passage, Othello is telling Desdemona’s father Brabantio and the Duke that he didn’t use spells, tricks, or magic of any kind to make Desdemona fall in love with him. He states that they spent time together with him telling her the many stories of his adventures and she slowly developed her love of him. The main significance of this passage in the play is it gives the readers a clear view of the kind of person that Othello is. As a “Moor”, Othello is put down because of his race, skin color and his former religious follow which was Muslim. In the play, he has converted to Christianity and is a respected soldier for Venice. Despite this, Brabantio, who respects him greatly, when he hears that Desdemona has ran off to marry Othello without his permission, he immediately blames Othello for drugging or using tricks of some sort to make Desdemona marry him.

This only is the witchcraft I have used

Othello’s proclamation of his own innocence in this crime shows that he also has a great respect for Brabantio and a pure love for Desdemona as seen when he says “She loved me for the dangers I had passed, And I loved her that she did pity them.” telling that their love for each other come from them spending time with each other and was not influenced or caused by outside influences.

You've digested the quotes and analysed them.:rolleyes: You've hopefully put they have been put into context. :rolleyes: Please try and do your homework by writing a paragraph about what links these quotes.:rolleyes: Hopefully it will be a lot quicker because you've read the play, annotated it, written notes etc..:rolleyes:

All the best...

:hello:

Quick Reply

Latest