The Student Room Group

GCSE options

Hi!I’m in year 9 and I have recently been tasked with choosing my GCSE options; however, I am quite unsure as to what I should choose as my final option. Here is what I am doing so far:
Maths (Higher)
English lit
English lang
Triple science
Geography
German
Here are the options I am debating:
Computer science (OCR)
Design and technology (AQA)
Food and nutrition (AQA)
Does anyone have any experience with any of these subjects? Please respond as it will help a lot! :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by amreece!
Hi!I’m in year 9 and I have recently been tasked with choosing my GCSE options; however, I am quite unsure as to what I should choose as my final option. Here is what I am doing so far:
Maths (Higher)
English lit
English lang
Triple science
Geography
German
Computer science (OCR)
Food and nutrition (AQA)
Does anyone have any experience with any of these subjects? Please respond as it will help a lot! :smile:

Hello!
Choosing your GCSE options is a crucial point of year 9. From my experience, do not take into account what people around you are choosing or what you have been told to choose - go for whatever you enjoy! By doing this, you will take a lot more interest in the subject and automatically perform better too. All three of the options you are debating are interesting options, but I can see that you are clearly good at mathematics and science, so choosing computer science or DT will probably be best for you. I currently take OCR computer science, and it is definitely a subject that requires a lot of maths and good ability with learning languages too, (surprisingly!) because of programming languages that you have to learn and familiarize yourself with. So, considering the fact that you are taking german as well, this course should be great for you. Computer science is, after all, the future, and even if you decide to go into a career that doesn't actually involve consistently working with computers, the fact that you are good with using them will be a bonus for you anyways.
Please remember though, everyone learns differently, and what I have said is just based on my experience.
If you have any questions about anything else regarding your options, please do ask!
Thanks!
-Emmy :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by emmyq786
Hello!
Choosing your GCSE options is a crucial point of year 9. From my experience, do not take into account what people around you are choosing or what you have been told to choose - go for whatever you enjoy! By doing this, you will take a lot more interest in the subject and automatically perform better too. All three of the options you are debating are interesting options, but I can see that you are clearly good at mathematics and science, so choosing computer science or DT will probably be best for you. I currently take OCR computer science, and it is definitely a subject that requires a lot of maths and good ability with learning languages too, (surprisingly!) because of programming languages that you have to learn and familiarize yourself with. So, considering the fact that you are taking german as well, this course should be great for you. Computer science is, after all, the future, and even if you decide to go into a career that doesn't actually involve consistently working with computers, the fact that you are good with using them will be a bonus for you anyways.
Please remember though, everyone learns differently, and what I have said is just based on my experience.
If you have any questions about anything else regarding your options, please do ask!
Thanks!
-Emmy :smile:

Hi Emmy!

Thank you so much for your reply as it has helped so much! I think I am leaning more towards computer science than design and tech.
Hi Emmy!

Thank you so much for your reply as it has helped so much! I think I am leaning more towards computer science than design and tech.

What do you want to do in the future? You don't need CS to study it at uni so it's the least important.

Do subjects you enjoy.
Reply 4
Maths (Higher)
English lit
English lang
Triple science
Geography
German
Computer science (OCR)
Food and nutrition (AQA)

These are exactly the subjects I am studying so far in yr 11!!
First thing, will you enjoy the topics you pick and what do you plan to do in the future. When I was picking my options, I knew I wanted to do sci related subjects and geog at A-level so it really helped me narrow my subjects down further. With triple science, people may feel it's 'more difficult' due to the additional topics you may study. But forget that right there. As long as you revise and actively make sure you're understanding every lesson you've attended, when it comes to year 11 exams will be a breeze. I regret revising less in year 10 on subjects I struggled more on so I highly reccomend even a 20 min session everyday reviewing what you struggled on in class and you won't feel so overwhelmed when mocks come.
German was a subject I studied at KS3 level, so it was a GCSE I took. Definitely take a language if you enjoy it. Memorisation of correct tenses and a few complex sentences and you're past a six for German already.
Def look though the subject content for the subjects, so you learn about what you'll be taught and what exams look like.

Feel free to ask me any questions about the subjects :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest