The Student Room Group

highly intellectual things i said today

Yes, the Iliad is far more complex than the Odyssey. I read that there are 11 thousand characters in the Iliad actually.

Q: are you very busy at the moment? A: well, I am and I aren't. wait... that didn't make any sense

To my supervisor: So would you say Aristophanes was the Shakespeare of his day, in terms of making up words?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
This reminds me that I have left an Aristophanes collection in work when I wanted it at home to read over the weekend.
Reply 2
I understood none of this and I love it.
Original post by Huzam001

Lmao
Well many of the characters in the Iliad are only mentioned extremely briefly in some gory description of how they died, so they're really just the equivalent of extras rather than characters.
I don't think I'd necessarily agree that the Iliad is far more complex than the Odyssey. It's just a war. The Odyssey covers civilisation vs barbarism, epic voyage, complex family relationships, and so much more. It's an easier read than the Iliad, but it's more complex thematically.
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
Well many of the characters in the Iliad are only mentioned extremely briefly in some gory description of how they died, so they're really just the equivalent of extras rather than characters.
I don't think I'd necessarily agree that the Iliad is far more complex than the Odyssey. It's just a war. The Odyssey covers civilisation vs barbarism, epic voyage, complex family relationships, and so much more. It's an easier read than the Iliad, but it's more complex thematically.

that's true but the odyssey is so much easier to translate. The language is way simpler and it just focuses on one guy. It's more like a folk tale than a true piece of literature like the Iliad.
I think OP probs meant to say that 1100 names are mentioned... and yes most of those only very briefly, and in catalogue form
Original post by aghihateitall
that's true but the odyssey is so much easier to translate. The language is way simpler and it just focuses on one guy. It's more like a folk tale than a true piece of literature like the Iliad.
I think OP probs meant to say that 1100 names are mentioned... and yes most of those only very briefly, and in catalogue form

The Iliad isn't a true piece of literature though...
The Iliad isn't a true piece of literature though...

well yeah it was initially composed orally, but the compiling was probs done in the 5th century, and in terms of complexity, intertextuality, and its profoundity and psychological subtlety i would say it is.
well yeah it was initially composed orally, but the compiling was probs done in the 5th century, and in terms of complexity, intertextuality, and its profoundity and psychological subtlety i would say it is.

Both the Odyssey and the Iliad were oral epic poems.
That's not what I meant. What I mean is that you're saying the Odyssey is like a "folk tale" whereas the Iliad is "true"...
except it's not true.
The Iliad is full of the antics of the gods for a start, and secondly we have actually no idea whether the Trojan war ever took place. Even if it did, it didn't happen with the gods diving in and out of it.
Both the Odyssey and the Iliad were oral epic poems.
That's not what I meant. What I mean is that you're saying the Odyssey is like a "folk tale" whereas the Iliad is "true"...
except it's not true.
The Iliad is full of the antics of the gods for a start, and secondly we have actually no idea whether the Trojan war ever took place. Even if it did, it didn't happen with the gods diving in and out of it.

ffs i didn't say the iliad is a true story - i said it's 'a true piece of literature' as in it's part of the literary canon/ it's a classics/ a masterpiece. i can't tell if you actually thought that or are just deliberately twisting my words tho lol. The odyssey is like a folk tale because it's simplistic, has stock characters who aren't very deeply characterised like in the iliad, and is picaresque (it probably defines the picaresque tbh
'literature', by the way, usually refers to fictional works of artistic merit...
Original post by Huzam001

what do you mean?
ffs i didn't say the iliad is a true story - i said it's 'a true piece of literature' as in it's part of the literary canon/ it's a classics/ a masterpiece. i can't tell if you actually thought that or are just deliberately twisting my words tho lol. The odyssey is like a folk tale because it's simplistic, has stock characters who aren't very deeply characterised like in the iliad, and is picaresque (it probably defines the picaresque tbh
'literature', by the way, usually refers to fictional works of artistic merit...

Is there any reason why you're getting so irate? Calm down.

We'll agree to disagree, as I think there's a lot of depth to the characters of the Odyssey.
Is there any reason why you're getting so irate? Calm down.

We'll agree to disagree, as I think there's a lot of depth to the characters of the Odyssey.

you're just being a little condescending about something you clearly don't know much about...
I do think Telemachus is well characterised actually, or at least the most interesting character of the tale. I suppose it's just a function of the fact that Iliad is mainly character speech while the odyssey is mainly authorial narration and description which makes the characters feel a little more impersonal and 2d.
Although the Iliad is the more profound I think the odyssey is more fun to read
you're just being a little condescending about something you clearly don't know much about...
I do think Telemachus is well characterised actually, or at least the most interesting character of the tale. I suppose it's just a function of the fact that Iliad is mainly character speech while the odyssey is mainly authorial narration and description which makes the characters feel a little more impersonal and 2d.
Although the Iliad is the more profound I think the odyssey is more fun to read

I don't know much about it? Okay then :lol:
I don't know much about it? Okay then :lol:

or maybe you just haven't really thought about it at all. I mean seriously, the Iliad is 'just a war'???
or maybe you just haven't really thought about it at all. I mean seriously, the Iliad is 'just a war'???

A pretty huge part of the Iliad is lists of names and descriptions of battle scenes.
Reply 16
about something you clearly don't know much about...

Now this did make me laugh😂😂
A pretty huge part of the Iliad is lists of names and descriptions of battle scenes.

but if you read the whole text at all carefully you'll see that it's about social and political crisis that comes about when the quasi-democratic prize distribution process is messed with, and what it means to be human, and how to be a good person in your community (it turns out this is the same across cultures according to Homer). It contains the most poignant moments in literature about the unbelievable brutality of grief and the beauty of compassion (like when Priam comes to beg for Hector's body back). The setting of war is just a way to bring mortality to the fore in every moment - because the Iliad is really about what it means to be a human being.
Original post by Euapp
Now this did make me laugh😂😂

have they done a classics degree or something?
Reply 19
have they done a classics degree or something?

They may well have done!!

Quick Reply

Latest