The Student Room Group

Changing EPQ Topic

Hi, until this point (in Year 12) my EPQ topic has been the efficacy of the UK jury system. My A Levels are chemistry, maths, and philosophy. I really want to apply for chemistry at Oxford, and my teachers have advised that I should consider changing my EPQ to one more relevant to this degree (a topic on chemistry, maths, physics e.t.c.), and I am definitely interested in doing this. My questions are:a) Is it reasonable and possible to change my topic at this stage (I have been working on my current idea for around 3 months, although many of the study skills will transfer to a new topic, so I guess this time is not wasted)?b) Any ideas for a science-based EPQ topic (future discovery of superheavy elements is one that I have already proposed)? Thanks guys :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by jl51
Hi, until this point (in Year 12) my EPQ topic has been the efficacy of the UK jury system. My A Levels are chemistry, maths, and philosophy. I really want to apply for chemistry at Oxford, and my teachers have advised that I should consider changing my EPQ to one more relevant to this degree (a topic on chemistry, maths, physics e.t.c.), and I am definitely interested in doing this. My questions are:a) Is it reasonable and possible to change my topic at this stage (I have been working on my current idea for around 3 months, although many of the study skills will transfer to a new topic, so I guess this time is not wasted)?b) Any ideas for a science-based EPQ topic (future discovery of superheavy elements is one that I have already proposed)? Thanks guys :smile:

I changed my EPQ topic around Jan/Feb time and had to put in a lot of extra work to catch up but I ended up with an A*. The most important thing is to make sure that your EPQ is interesting because you would be more motivated to do it and make sure to not let your EPQ affect your A levels because A levels are more important than your EPQ (don't tell your supervisor tho lol)

Make sure to really research your topic to see if there is enough research and if it is interesting/relevant and put in that work to get that A*, write all of your reasons for changing your topic in a lot of detail because it gets you marks
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 2
I think it depends what stage you are at in the process.
Your supervisor okays your topic idea, signs it off, and will often suggest some tweaks at that stage. Have you got to that stage?

A major change after this is not great but is certainly not impossible. Better to change and have something more useful to you.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by jl51

Hi.. I did an epq last year and my main advice would be make sure it interests you, whatever topic that would be. I think by about now I'd done all my research and started writing, so you'll have lots to catch up on, but, like you said, you'll already have the skills like referencing and finding articles so research should be quicker though it won't be easy..
I also applied to Cambridge this year and got an offer, whilst Oxbridge like that you've done epq,
a) they look for enthusiasm for the subject and at you've done to explore it, so an epq is a very good way to show this (and you'll have a lot to say in your personal statement!) though I'm pretty sure I remember them saying it wasn't really really important what you did it on, but if it's not really relevant you won't have much to say about it in your personal statement
b) they look for hard work and motivation, whatever your epq topic is, having an epq would show this

Finally, be really sure changing your topic wont affect your a levels/predicted grades- no matter what your epq is on, if you dont have the predicted grades, they won't make you an offer.
Happy to answer any more questions about epq/oxbridge.
Reply 4
Thanks for the advice :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending