The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

rejected from QMUL uni because they dont accept an access course website says they do

Their comp sci website shows they accept it but rejected him because they don’t accept it?!?!

I feel bad because he
was sure he was gonna get Qmul as an insurance so he applied mostly risky places. At the moment he received 4 decisions back and only one of them is offer and and an extremely hard one to meet.

Even now the website states they accept it, I cannot shake the feeling that is seems terribly dishonest and horrible of the uni to do.

Is there anything he can do?

This is for my friend not me
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Disposable_user
Their comp sci website shows they accept it but rejected him because they don’t accept it?!?!

I feel bad because he
was sure he was gonna get Qmul as an insurance so he applied mostly risky places. At the moment he received 4 decisions back and only one of them is offer and and an extremely hard one to meet.

Even now the website states they accept it, I cannot shake the feeling that is seems terribly dishonest and horrible of the uni to do.

Is there anything he can do?

This is for my friend not me

Unfortunately they say they consider it on a case by case basis. It’s the only qualification that has this comment attached so they’ve covered themselves unfortunately, although there is nothing to stop your friend trying to appeal. They have nothing to lose as long as they have the right number of distinctions and credits.
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
I agree, the key part of their Access requirements is the case by case part. This is why I'd always advise to check with the uni about the specific access prog before applying:

"We consider applications from students with the Access to Higher Education Diploma in Computing. The minimum academic requirement is to achieve 60 credits overall, with 45 credits at Level 3, of which 30 credits must be at Distinction. Applications are considered on a case by case basis. Due to the high volume of applications, we do not make offers of study purely on the basis of meeting grade requirements. GCSE Mathematics at grade B/5 is required in addition to the Access qualification."

If your friend took one in a related subject area, you could try a formal complaint but without knowing specifically what they want from an Access course it may not change the outcome.
Original post by Admit-One
I agree, the key part of their Access requirements is the case by case part. This is why I'd always advise to check with the uni about the specific access prog before applying:

"We consider applications from students with the Access to Higher Education Diploma in Computing. The minimum academic requirement is to achieve 60 credits overall, with 45 credits at Level 3, of which 30 credits must be at Distinction. Applications are considered on a case by case basis. Due to the high volume of applications, we do not make offers of study purely on the basis of meeting grade requirements. GCSE Mathematics at grade B/5 is required in addition to the Access qualification."

If your friend took one in a related subject area, you could try a formal complaint but without knowing specifically what they want from an Access course it may not change the outcome.

O I see, even so I do think it’s abit vague. Another uni, kcl states they accept it given that you have 15 credits in maths the course that I’m doing has 27 credits in maths the rest in comp sci so the course should be plenty intense and suitable. I’m not really sure what they mean case by case, what could they be looking for exactly.

I will ask him to email them and find but that is really annoying for him.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Disposable_user
O I see, even so I do think it’s abit vague, kcl states they accept given that you have 15 credits in maths the course that I’m doing has 27 credits in maths the rest in comp sci so the course should be plenty intense and suitable. I’m really sure what they case by case, what are they looking for exactly.

I will ask him to email them and find but that is really annoying for him.

I agree it is vague, but that's probably deliberate so they can review what modules people have taken. The wording could be a bit better to encourage people to check beforehand.

I hope the feedback explains further.
Reply 5
I'm studying an Access to HE in computer science and received an offer for 30D/15M so there's probably another reason.
Original post by xDbi
I'm studying an Access to HE in computer science and received an offer for 30D/15M so there's probably another reason.

My entire class got rejected lol for QMUL.

Can you tell if had a levels or a btec or something and is this computer science

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending