The Student Room Group

skinny and exercise every day but still not physically fit

why? even walking my dog leaves me completely exhausted. surely, after years of doing this, it should be a lot easier. how is this possible?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ciel.
why? even walking my dog leaves me completely exhausted. surely, after years of doing this, it should be a lot easier. how is this possible?

walking isn't really exercise - it's not gonna make you fitter. maybe u have aenemia tho
Original post by Ciel.

Because of that eating disorder you've been posting about for years.
Scencerly, I really hope you recover... must be a really awful way to live.
Reply 3
Original post by aubreyplazastoes
walking isn't really exercise - it's not gonna make you fitter. maybe u have aenemia tho

trust me, walking my dog is. it's like half walking, half running, and half dragging a huge beast that's heavier than me. but yeah, that was just an example, i also do like squats and other exercises, too. but it's like my fitness level never improves,
Reply 4
Original post by BoomBoxBeitch
Because of that eating disorder you've been posting about for years.
Scencerly, I really hope you recover... must be a really awful way to live.

i don't have an eating disorder. you must be confusing me for someone else.
Original post by Ciel.
trust me, walking my dog is. it's like half walking, half running, and half dragging a huge beast that's heavier than me.

Doesn't sound very safe!
Original post by Ciel.
i don't have an eating disorder. you must be confusing me for someone else.

Ah sorry...
You eat an utterly inadequate diet
Have a very low BMI
Obviously feeling physical effects
fear gaining weight
Deranged bloods...

But you are doing just fine
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 7
Doesn't sound very safe!

eh, i try my best to keep us both safe, we stay away from other dogs. and people. he's a monster but he's my baby...
Reply 8
lol ciel is such a sad attention seeker i can't believe people on here still humour him

you're a new user, how could you possibly know that, lol
Original post by Ciel.
eh, i try my best to keep us both safe, we stay away from other dogs. and people. he's a monster but he's my baby...

You are so physically unwell/ emaciated that you are unable to safely take your jack Russell for a walk...
You are so physically unwell/ emaciated that you are unable to safely take your jack Russell for a walk...

just don't engage him there's no point
Reply 11

my dog isn't a jack russell, he weighs 100 pounds.....
Have you seen a GP recently about this? A blood test would highlight if you have any mineral or vitamin deficiencies.
Reply 13
Original post by 1582
Have you seen a GP recently about this? A blood test would highlight if you have any mineral or vitamin deficiencies.

like, a year ago or so, yeah. i did have some deficiencies, i was taking 4000 vid d and iron pills (high strength ferrous-something) but it made no difference tbh. i feel like i'm doing something wrong. i want to start running with our dog but idk how to actually increase my stamina. i cant even run for 5 minutes straight without feeling like im dying. idk how people do it
Walking is exercise. Exercise doesn't need to be all high-intensity sweaty stuff, it's just moving your body in a way that (hopefully) makes you feel good, and gets your cardiovascular system working a little more than if you were just lying down all day (which is also fine to do if that's what your body needs).

Original post by bl0bf1sh
Walking is exercise. Exercise doesn't need to be all high-intensity sweaty stuff, it's just moving your body in a way that (hopefully) makes you feel good, and gets your cardiovascular system working a little more than if you were just lying down all day (which is also fine to do if that's what your body needs).

yeah ok just do what you feel man. but walking on flat ground, not getting out of breath, won't increase your v02 max or any real measure of cardiovascular fitness
I don't see anything about a diet. 80% of fitness is about the diet. If you're this exhausted yet you're already on pills to help with nutritional deficiencies, you must not be eating enough or you're eating the wrong things. Your body isn't getting the nutrients it needs. So, walking or running is just depleting the energy you don't even have.
Also, I remember your old posts. You definitely don't eat enough, and you said you're so small, people think you're a child. First step to fixing a problem is acknowledging its existence.
Original post by Ciel.

Original post by Ciel.
like, a year ago or so, yeah. i did have some deficiencies, i was taking 4000 vid d and iron pills (high strength ferrous-something) but it made no difference tbh. i feel like i'm doing something wrong. i want to start running with our dog but idk how to actually increase my stamina. i cant even run for 5 minutes straight without feeling like im dying. idk how people do it

I think your exhaustion has little to do with fitness. I used to be a little underweight, and was certainly not eating enough, and found that I was getting weaker and weaker and my runs would be slower and slower. I didn't really realise this correlation at the time, but since getting back to a healthy weight, and, importantly, consistently eating enough, I became stronger and faster than I ever had been. I also had been iron deficient, and after a few months of taking iron tablets (322 mg!) and eating properly, I noticed changes in my energy levels, speed and stamina.

If you think about driving a car up a hill: if you're trying to get a tiny old car, with only a few drops of petrol in its tank, to go, you're going to struggle. But a bigger, stronger car with a full tank of petrol will be much less of a challenge, and may even be easy. Same goes for our bodies: give them enough fuel, and of the right type (balanced, with enough of all the macronutrients and micronutrients needed), and they'll get stronger. You need all of these components though just taking some iron pills for a few weeks and not making any other changes to your lifestyle will change very little, just like trying to run a bigger car on a still tiny amount of petrol will still not make the hill easier!
Once you have that "base" you'll be able to look at increasing stamina and improving overall performance :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by DarylO
I don't see anything about a diet. 80% of fitness is about the diet. If you're this exhausted yet you're already on pills to help with nutritional deficiencies, you must not be eating enough or you're eating the wrong things. Your body isn't getting the nutrients it needs. So, walking or running is just depleting the energy you don't even have.

my diet is moderately healthy - lots of fruit, veg and milk. i never feel hungry so my portion sizes are ok too.

Original post by bl0bf1sh
I think your exhaustion has little to do with fitness. I used to be a little underweight, and was certainly not eating enough, and found that I was getting weaker and weaker and my runs would be slower and slower. I didn't really realise this correlation at the time, but since getting back to a healthy weight, and, importantly, consistently eating enough, I became stronger and faster than I ever had been. I also had been iron deficient, and after a few months of taking iron tablets (322 mg!) and eating properly, I noticed changes in my energy levels, speed and stamina.

If you think about driving a car up a hill: if you're trying to get a tiny old car, with only a few drops of petrol in its tank, to go, you're going to struggle. But a bigger, stronger car with a full tank of petrol will be much less of a challenge, and may even be easy. Same goes for our bodies: give them enough fuel, and of the right type (balanced, with enough of all the macronutrients and micronutrients needed), and they'll get stronger. You need all of these components though just taking some iron pills for a few weeks and not making any other changes to your lifestyle will change very little, just like trying to run a bigger car on a still tiny amount of petrol will still not make the hill easier!
Once you have that "base" you'll be able to look at increasing stamina and improving overall performance :smile:

i want to be physically stronger but without gaining any weight. i don't want my body to change.

Quick Reply

Latest