The Student Room Group

Too many subjects?

Hi, i'm currently in S5 picking my subjects for S6, i'm taking AH Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Higher Environmental Science. I'm planning to do medicine once I leave school, so will having an extra subject make my application more competitive or am I just wasting my time?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by TDCTV
Hi, i'm currently in S5 picking my subjects for S6, i'm taking AH Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Higher Environmental Science. I'm planning to do medicine once I leave school, so will having an extra subject make my application more competitive or am I just waisting my time?

Lots of my friends have applied to medicine, and I have applied to dentistry! For them, their S5 results seemed to have mattered most- aim for those 5As at higher or as close to it as you can get as this leaves your options most open. They have some offers, from Aberdeen and Dundee and the requirements arent too stiff (Bs and Cs), and are seemingly irregardless of whether they do 2 AH and one H, or 3 AH. I therefore would definetly say that doing 4 subjects in S6 is uneccessary, AH biology and chemistry are a very good idea, but as for the 3rd I think either subject would be acceptable? Best of luck with the entire application process, it's tough but i'm sure you'll be all good!
Reply 2
Original post by cooljellyfish12
Lots of my friends have applied to medicine, and I have applied to dentistry! For them, their S5 results seemed to have mattered most- aim for those 5As at higher or as close to it as you can get as this leaves your options most open. They have some offers, from Aberdeen and Dundee and the requirements arent too stiff (Bs and Cs), and are seemingly irregardless of whether they do 2 AH and one H, or 3 AH. I therefore would definetly say that doing 4 subjects in S6 is uneccessary, AH biology and chemistry are a very good idea, but as for the 3rd I think either subject would be acceptable? Best of luck with the entire application process, it's tough but i'm sure you'll be all good!

what subjects did you take?
Original post by TDCTV
what subjects did you take?

I do advanced higher chemistry and advanced higher biology, which are pretty relevant to dentistry obviously, plus advanced higher computing science! these choices havent restricted me at all for any unis, so I'd say go for bio and chem, plus any other higher/ advanced higher that you enjoy!
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest