The Student Room Group

I applied to a uni where i don't meet entry requirements

I applied for a postgraduate MSc in Physician associate studies at bristol and it says I need Four weeks (120 hours) of work experience in an appropriate patient-facing healthcare setting, primary or secondary care however i have only worked in a care home (tertiary care) as a healthcare assistant which i did over 300 hours.
Do you think i have no chance now?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by shreya kc
I applied for a postgraduate MSc in Physician associate studies at bristol and it says I need Four weeks (120 hours) of work experience in an appropriate patient-facing healthcare setting, primary or secondary care however i have only worked in a care home (tertiary care) as a healthcare assistant which i did over 300 hours.
Do you think i have no chance now?

Caveat: I don't know the answer to your question.

When you refer to "Bristol" in the context of university, people will normally assume that you're talking about the University of Bristol. Given the course that you refer to, I assume that you're actually referring to the University of the West of England, Bristol (UWE Bristol).Is that right? (I only mention it because if you're asking for people's experiences of having applied for this particular course in the past, then it makes sense that they would need to correctly establish which university you're talking about.)

Where any healthcare services provided at the care home setting in which you gained your 300 hours of experience? Or was it really a social care setting? I ask as this post from a few years ago suggests that although, generally speaking, a care home is a social care setting (so not healthcare anyway) there are scenarios where it might be considered to be providing primary care. Hence why it makes sense to understand what services it was providing to its patients, and whether there was a health element to that care or not.
Reply 2
I think some provide a form of nursing care. This kind of thing is also relevant to what is defined as hospital care for benefit purposes (benefits such as Personal Independence Payment). The home could clarify if it provided this type of care at all. You could see if the university accepts this or not as a healthcare setting. It's worth a try as it looks like this is your only chance in terms of the work experience criteria.

https://www.carehome.co.uk/advice/what-is-the-difference-between-a-care-home-and-a-nursing-home

Don't completely rely on this link, as I don't know how accurate the information is. It's just to give a bit of information to start off with.
(edited 1 year ago)
Wait, I have heard nothing back from UWE so far, I applied for the next academic year (IN Y3 ATM) they said I won't hear back until after the 15th of March but I was called in for an occupational health check.
Reply 4
Original post by Momo1998
Wait, I have heard nothing back from UWE so far, I applied for the next academic year (IN Y3 ATM) they said I won't hear back until after the 15th of March but I was called in for an occupational health check.

i haven't heard from them, neither was i called in for a health check. is there a reason you were called in or do they do that to everyone?
Reply 5
Original post by DataVenia
Caveat: I don't know the answer to your question.

When you refer to "Bristol" in the context of university, people will normally assume that you're talking about the University of Bristol. Given the course that you refer to, I assume that you're actually referring to the University of the West of England, Bristol (UWE Bristol).Is that right? (I only mention it because if you're asking for people's experiences of having applied for this particular course in the past, then it makes sense that they would need to correctly establish which university you're talking about.)

Where any healthcare services provided at the care home setting in which you gained your 300 hours of experience? Or was it really a social care setting? I ask as this post from a few years ago suggests that although, generally speaking, a care home is a social care setting (so not healthcare anyway) there are scenarios where it might be considered to be providing primary care. Hence why it makes sense to understand what services it was providing to its patients, and whether there was a health element to that care or not.

I think it's UWE bristol.
But I will probably get rejected because although I am a healthcare assistant, I am one in a care home so my hours of experience probably does not matter to them

thank you for ur help.
This is the kind of question to ask the uni before applying. I know some unis don't field questions about experience levels, but it was probably worth a try in any case.
I think it's UWE bristol.
But I will probably get rejected because although I am a healthcare assistant, I am one in a care home so my hours of experience probably does not matter to them

thank you for ur help.

If you were a healthcare assistant, it seems reasonable to assume that healthcare (rather than just social care) was being provided at the care home. As such, that experience could well meet the requirements. Don't assume that you're going to be rejected just yet.
i haven't heard from them, neither was i called in for a health check. is there a reason you were called in or do they do that to everyone?

I just have health issues so occupational health check was required cause my issues are a bit severe x getting better tho :}

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending