The Student Room Group

Should Christians often go to the church?

Can Christians just reading Bible, praying for God and obeying the laws of God without going to the church everyweek?
Personally, I'm atheist but my common sense tells me that, if god is supposedly everywhere, why does he need these big fancy houses built for him when strictly speaking, a shed would do just as well?...

Also, I suppose it depends on your definition of "Christian" as there are many sectors of Christianity such as Catholic, Protestant, Orthodox (depending on the region) etc... so it's entirely dependant on you if you ask me.
I can see it from both sides. I think going to church can be really good - especially if you're a young Christian or someone thinking of converting to Christianity/a recent convert - for building up a strong sense of Christian identity and community. I think regularly hearing a minister preach can be helpful to clarify one's understanding of church teaching.

However, I do think some denominations (esp. my own, which is Roman Catholic) can get too heavy-handed about the importance of church attendance. This can lead to a sense of loneliness or being a 'bad' Christian, if one is not able to attend church regularly. It's rare for me that I can safely attend church (my psychosis gets violently triggered by religious buildings) and even though I have the dispensation to not attend church/forego the Sunday obligation, the emphasis put on church attendance leaves me feeling very isolated :redface:
Original post by Emily Brick
Can Christians just reading Bible, praying for God and obeying the laws of God without going to the church everyweek?

I think it is important as it's like meeting up with our family. We worship togather, we study the Bible together, we learn more about God and can ask for prayer from the ministry team. We also have refreshments, meals together and events we can join in with and provide support as a team for people like the asylum seekers who arrived with no winter clothing. I'd never criticise someone who was unable to get to church and we Livestream services for them and can home visit to take communion etc.
:console:Can you cope with online services?
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
I can see it from both sides. I think going to church can be really good - especially if you're a young Christian or someone thinking of converting to Christianity/a recent convert - for building up a strong sense of Christian identity and community. I think regularly hearing a minister preach can be helpful to clarify one's understanding of church teaching.

However, I do think some denominations (esp. my own, which is Roman Catholic) can get too heavy-handed about the importance of church attendance. This can lead to a sense of loneliness or being a 'bad' Christian, if one is not able to attend church regularly. It's rare for me that I can safely attend church (my psychosis gets violently triggered by religious buildings) and even though I have the dispensation to not attend church/forego the Sunday obligation, the emphasis put on church attendance leaves me feeling very isolated :redface:
Original post by Muttley79
:console:Can you cope with online services?

Online church is better than physical church but still problematic/triggering :frown:
If they want to and are able to comfortably do so. :cool:
Without exposing themselves or someone else to the risks of being left jobless, financial hardship, extreme disruption to carer duties and personal safety routines.

It is important to remember that many churches, sects, organised christian movements and other worship venues emphasize the neeed for frequent attendance at their premises to their membership because this is where they normally seek to obtain financial contributions.
Many churches & fringe christian movements are infamous for taking every possible opportunity to pass around the collection plate or demand tithes from the congregation.
Often using prosperity preaching, targeted threats of eternal damnation, shaming tactics or monthly sermons to call for further cash contributions and other gifts to the value.

PRSOM.
Meh, I think churches are more of a human thing. Go if that's how you want to pray, celebrate worship or have jumble sales, but I doubt it matters too much in the grand plan of things.
Original post by londonmyst
If they want to and are able to comfortably do so. :cool:
Without exposing themselves or someone else to the risks of being left jobless, financial hardship, extreme disruption to carer duties and personal safety routines.

It is important to remember that many churches, sects, organised christian movements and other worship venues emphasize the neeed for frequent attendance at their premises to their membership because this is where they normally seek to obtain financial contributions.
Many churches & fringe christian movements are infamous for taking every possible opportunity to pass around the collection plate or demand tithes from the congregation.
Often using prosperity preaching, targeted threats of eternal damnation, shaming tactics or monthly sermons to call for further cash contributions and other gifts to the value.

We don't have a collection plate/basket since covid :smile:

No reputable church teaches the US idea of the prosperity Gospel
Online church is better than physical church but still problematic/triggering :frown:

Have you tried non-Catholic livestreams? I am so sorry you are prevented from doing something that has meant so much.

Are you claiming 'Get Rich With The Lawd™' isn't a genuine form of worship?!? :eek:
if it's a good church and encourages you, strengthens your faith and all that, yeah go for it. i reckon you'd only want to do it on your own if the church you know is crap.
We don't have a collection plate/basket since covid :smile:

It's wonderful that your church has given up the collection plate since covid started.
All the churches that I've been to since late 2019 have kept using them and the demands for financial contributions have got more insane than ever before.

So many churches & leaders of fringe groups in Kent, London, Surrey and S Wales are acting as if they are high on their own incessant prosperity preaching.
They have got a lot worse and got in the habit of yelling their demands much louder & more frequently over covid.
It's not just the obvious dodgy pentecostalists, usa megachurches backed by bible belters, culty evangelicals or international expat movements where the majority of the congregation retain very close links with australia & latin america.
Half the swamp with pound signs in their eyes have got in on the act.
It's permeating into mainstream catholic and protestant church movements so fast.
Have you tried non-Catholic livestreams? I am so sorry you are prevented from doing something that has meant so much.

It's not just a Catholic-specific problem (the originator of the issue was an Anglican chapel, as it happens!). Plus I'm not so keen on non-Anglo-Catholic forms of worship, in all honesty :ninja:
It's not just a Catholic-specific problem (the originator of the issue was an Anglican chapel, as it happens!).

PRSOM
Reply 16
Original post by Emily Brick

I recently watched a video about someone taking the seeds from a Kiwi fruit and putting them on some wet kitchen paper in the light, And lo, those seeds sprung and became small plants, the person then transfered to good soil where they eventually bare fruit themselves.

The point is that many people are carrying around the stories of The Bible within them but until you receive the living water of the Holy Spirit that's all they are, but once you are born again, like the disciples in Acts 2, you realise there's another life and you want to be in good soil . . . . the true church, that is other people that are truly born again is that a good soil.

Your question indicates that like many people You are not actually born again and you probably don't know a church Like the one in The Bible

This situation can be rectified today pmv and I'll send you an invitation

- - - - -

As for the laws of God, what do hou think they are today?

Abraham was a friend of God before the law was even given by Moses, and The Bible makes it clear that nobody kept the law it is in fact described as the ministry of condemnation! The law requires you to do your best that's not faith in God, that's fear.

The New Testament does speak of "the law of the spirit of life setting you free from the law of sin and death"
Rather than me use words to describe that, better you receive the Holy Spirit then you begin to experience it!!
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending