Water on the brain Watch

This discussion is closed.
Helen
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Robert <[email protected] uk> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
[q1]> On Sun, 16 Jun 2002 18:04:50 +0100, Raymond Berry <[email protected]> wrote:[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q2]> >Thanks for all the replies. It good to know this isn't just S.Yorks being quirky. Personally, I[/q2]
[q2]> >think it's a load of codswallop as far as school kids are concerned and just another gimmick.[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> >Raymond[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> And did you notice that the only research anyone was able to come up with was a couple of vague[/q1]
[q1]> references to TES articles.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Truth is no one knows what kind of research, how valid etc.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> The loony left will soon find another hobby horse and will forget all about water bottles.[/q1]

Today on the BBC website: http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/edu...00/2048898.stm

--
Helen
Clark
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Robert wrote:
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> On Sun, 16 Jun 2002 18:04:50 +0100, Raymond Berry <[email protected]> wrote:[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q2]> >Thanks for all the replies. It good to know this isn't just S.Yorks being quirky. Personally, I[/q2]
[q2]> >think it's a load of codswallop as far as school kids are concerned and just another gimmick.[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> >Raymond[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> And did you notice that the only research anyone was able to come up with was a couple of vague[/q1]
[q1]> references to TES articles.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Truth is no one knows what kind of research, how valid etc.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> The loony left will soon find another hobby horse and will forget all about water bottles.[/q1]

What sort of people are you, and what century or outpost of barbarism do you think you live in?

Are there really teachers who don't allow their pupils to drink from a bottle of water during class?
No, I mean, are there *really* such people? Is this genuinely a subject for debate? You *forbid*
children to drink water during class? 'Loony left'? 'Loony'? What?

Gobsmacked.

Bob
Nigel Ford
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q3]> > >Thanks for all the replies. It good to know this isn't just S.Yorks[/q3]
being
[q3]> > >quirky. Personally, I think it's a load of codswallop as far as school kids are concerned and[/q3]
[q3]> > >just another gimmick.[/q3]
[q3]> > >[/q3]
[q3]> > >Raymond[/q3]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> > And did you notice that the only research anyone was able to come up with was a couple of vague[/q2]
[q2]> > references to TES articles.[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> > Truth is no one knows what kind of research, how valid etc.[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> > The loony left will soon find another hobby horse and will forget all about water bottles.[/q2]

Being rather busy I didn't actually stop and check the archives - nor do I keep stacks of TES
by my side.

However, there is research and 2 mins on Google produced
http://www.ascd.org/readingroom/clas...11/2nov98.html.

Nigel
Jo L
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
"Clark" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Robert wrote:[/q1]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> > On Sun, 16 Jun 2002 18:04:50 +0100, Raymond Berry <[email protected]> wrote:[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q3]> > >Thanks for all the replies. It good to know this isn't just S.Yorks[/q3]
being
[q3]> > >quirky. Personally, I think it's a load of codswallop as far as school kids are concerned and[/q3]
[q3]> > >[/q3]
[q3]> > >Raymond[/q3]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> > And did you notice that the only research anyone was able to come up with was a couple of vague[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> > The loony left will soon find another hobby horse and will forget all about water bottles.[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> What sort of people are you, and what century or outpost of barbarism do you think you live in?[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Are there really teachers who don't allow their pupils to drink from a bottle of water during[/q1]
[q1]> class? No, I mean, are there *really* such people? Is this genuinely a subject for debate? You[/q1]
[q1]> *forbid* children to drink water during class? 'Loony left'? 'Loony'? What?[/q1]

We have a school rule forbidding it, but if they ask nicely on a hot day I let them - however I
know that water bottles are often used as water pistols - especially those sports ones which you
can squueze!!

Jo
Chay007
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Have you ever worked in a Call Centre or other establishments where break time is break time and
people are sometimes clocked when they go to toilets?

[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Robert wrote:[/q1]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> > On Sun, 16 Jun 2002 18:04:50 +0100, Raymond Berry <[email protected]> wrote:[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
being
[q3]> > >[/q3]
[q3]> > >Raymond[/q3]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> What sort of people are you, and what century or outpost of barbarism do you think you live in?[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Are there really teachers who don't allow their pupils to drink from a bottle of water during[/q1]
[q1]> class? No, I mean, are there *really* such people? Is this genuinely a subject for debate? You[/q1]
[q1]> *forbid* children to drink water during class? 'Loony left'? 'Loony'? What?[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Gobsmacked.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Bob[/q1]
Nigel Ford
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
One small point - never mind loony left (or our leaders, for that matter ), but no-one has even
mentioned the problem of 350 children heading for 2 fountains in 20 minutes, nor the fact that at my
last school the starlings nested (cr***d) over one of them. ((They'tre like Grackles, for our
Colonial members :>} )

N
Clark
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Jo L wrote:
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> "Clark" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...[/q1]
-snip

[q2]> > Are there really teachers who don't allow their pupils to drink from a bottle of water during[/q2]
[q2]> > class? No, I mean, are there *really* such people? Is this genuinely a subject for debate? You[/q2]
[q2]> > *forbid* children to drink water during class? 'Loony left'? 'Loony'? What?[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> We have a school rule forbidding it[/q1]

Why?

[q1]> , but if they ask nicely on a hot day I let them - however I know that water bottles are often[/q1]
[q1]> used as water pistols - especially those sports ones which you can squueze!![/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]

OK, but you can use ballpoint pens as peashooters, for instance ... do you ban pens? Or, well, shoes
can be used for kicking other children on the shins (I've seen it done myself) ... ban shoes? ...

It seems barbaric to me, sorry. I'm all in favour of firm discipline and such, but denying children
the possibility of something to drink ... Of course ban drinks like coca cola or other fizzy sugared
things. But *water*? What possible reason could there be for banning drinks of water? (I wait with
interest to read any suggestions ...)

Bob
Sheila :-D
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
"Nigel Ford" <[email protected]> gave up looking for Brazil in the atlas and posted:

[q1]>One small point - never mind loony left (or our leaders, for that matter ), but no-one has even[/q1]
[q1]>mentioned the problem of 350 children heading for 2 fountains in 20 minutes, nor the fact that at[/q1]
[q1]>my last school the starlings nested (cr***d) over one of them. ((They'tre like Grackles, for our[/q1]
[q1]>Colonial members :>} )[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
Close.

I mentioned 200 children using 2 fountains.

Some people have a strange understanding of time.

--
Sheila :-D (Remove e to mail.)
Chay007
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
The only reason why we have (most) rules is that there was a need for it. Pupils can ask for most
things politely and often than not they do get it. However, there are children who are difficult to
manage, they say NO to reasonable requests, they undermine the teacher because of the softly, softly
approach we have towards problem children. They will abuse having a water bottle, a pen
(pea-shoter), a ruler and many other harmless things in the classroom. The thing is they get away
with. There is also the time the teacher will spent having to resolve issues relating spilled water,
pranks, lost water bottles and so on. You might think that the teacher should be able to control the
kids, if only it were that easy (even with senior management).

At the end of the day, it all depends on how the class is organised - in secondary schools, it will
be difficult to have it on the table; in their bags, perhaps.

[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Jo L wrote:[/q1]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> > "Clark" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...[/q2]
[q1]> -snip[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q3]> > > Are there really teachers who don't allow their pupils to drink from a bottle of water during[/q3]
[q3]> > > class? No, I mean, are there *really* such people? Is this genuinely a subject for debate? You[/q3]
[q3]> > > *forbid* children[/q3]
to
[q3]> > > drink water during class? 'Loony left'? 'Loony'? What?[/q3]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> > We have a school rule forbidding it[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Why?[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q2]> > , but if they ask nicely on a hot day I let them - however I know that water bottles are often[/q2]
[q2]> > used as water pistols - especially those sports ones which you can squueze!![/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> OK, but you can use ballpoint pens as peashooters, for instance ... do you ban pens? Or, well,[/q1]
[q1]> shoes can be used for kicking other children on the shins (I've seen it done myself) ... ban[/q1]
[q1]> shoes? ...[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> It seems barbaric to me, sorry. I'm all in favour of firm discipline and such, but denying[/q1]
[q1]> children the possibility of something to drink ... Of course ban drinks like coca cola or other[/q1]
[q1]> fizzy sugared things. But *water*? What possible reason could there be for banning drinks of[/q1]
[q1]> water? (I wait with interest to read any suggestions ...)[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Bob[/q1]
Jo L
Badges:
Report 17 years ago

[q2]> > We have a school rule forbidding it[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Why?[/q1]

I'm a NQT I don't make the rules!!!
[q1]>[/q1]
[q2]> > , but if they ask nicely on a hot day I let them - however I know that water bottles are often[/q2]
[q2]> > used as water pistols - especially those sports ones which you can squueze!![/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> OK, but you can use ballpoint pens as peashooters, for instance ... do you ban pens? Or, well,[/q1]
[q1]> shoes can be used for kicking other children on the shins (I've seen it done myself) ... ban[/q1]
[q1]> shoes? ...[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> It seems barbaric to me, sorry. I'm all in favour of firm discipline and such, but denying[/q1]
[q1]> children the possibility of something to drink ... Of course ban drinks like coca cola or other[/q1]
[q1]> fizzy sugared things. But *water*? What possible reason could there be for banning drinks of[/q1]
[q1]> water? (I wait with interest to read any suggestions ...)[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Bob[/q1]

Ok so yes its 'barbaric' but if you allow just water in a secondary school its very hard to stop
other drinks. And they aren't denied the chance to drink - they can drink anytime before 8.50, then
catch a quick drink a hour later - then drink for 20 full minutes at break, then a quick one 1 hour
later, then another 1 hour lunch break then home time.

I would like to try having water in my room, however I know I can't trust the children that I
currently teach not to wreck my room. I know theres times when I'm gasping for a drink, but I wait
- just like they do - I just make sure I drink at break time etc - something which alot of
children don't
do.

Jo
peter
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
We have just introduced around half-a-dozen water cooler/fountains strategically placed around
school. Result:

a) Has reduced the toilet rush to get tap water at end of break/lunch.
b) Has made the whole business of drinking sensibly and on-demand simple and effective.
c) Has not made for any increase in horse-play / in-class time wasting etc.
d) Has been adopted as just a part of civilised existence.
e) Is hygienic and efficient.

Highly recommended.

Peter Orford ICT Co-ordinator Doncaster School for the Deaf email(home): <[email protected]>
email(work): <[email protected]>

On Sun, 16 Jun 2002 10:45:53 +0100, Raymond Berry <[email protected]> wrote:

[q1]>Having recently done some supply work in a number of schools in an area of[/q1]
[q1]>S.Yorks, I have been surprised to find that many children have bottles of water which they keep to[/q1]
[q1]> hand on their tables. On making enquiries about this,other staff have told me that this is a new[/q1]
[q1]> initiative to help the children be more alert and learn more efficiently. Apparently, so I'm[/q1]
[q1]> told, it has been shown that taking frequent sips of water keeps the brain fully hydrated and[/q1]
[q1]> more efficient thereby enabling the learning process to be more efficient also.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>Am I having my leg pulled (I doubt it) or is this another cockeyed idea instigated by some chair[/q1]
[q1]>bound twerp who is far removed from the chalk-face.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>As you can imagine,the bottles are yet another distraction as they're mainly used as fidget toys[/q1]
[q1]>or,in many cases,as substitute dummies to be kept in the mouth and sucked on.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>Has this latest "aid to learning" manifested itself anywhere else?[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>Regards Raymond[/q1]
Slieber24
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
In article <72u1huseq06d7ausvisvok6qvp5ou7k [email protected]>, [email protected] writes:

[q1]>We have just introduced around half-a-dozen water cooler/fountains strategically placed around[/q1]
[q1]>school. Result:[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>a) Has reduced the toilet rush to get tap water at end of break/lunch.[/q1]
[q1]>b) Has made the whole business of drinking sensibly and on-demand simple and effective.[/q1]
[q1]>c) Has not made for any increase in horse-play / in-class time wasting etc.[/q1]
[q1]>d) Has been adopted as just a part of civilised existence.[/q1]
[q1]>e) Is hygienic and efficient.[/q1]

The schools I've worked in in Florida, primary schools, at least, all had a fountain in the
classrooms.

----------------------------------------------------
Sandi

Remove NoSpam to reply.
Clark
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Jo L wrote:
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> "Clark" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q3]> > > We have a school rule forbidding it[/q3]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> > Why?[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> I'm a NQT I don't make the rules!!![/q1]

I'm sorry. I didn't realise you were powerless. Do you have *any* opportunity (staff meetings,
whatever) to influence school policy on things like this or is it all just autocratic rules set from
on high? Is this normal? (It's not quite how I remember it, but it's been a while since I was a
teacher in UK.)

[q2]> >[/q2]
[q3]> > > , but if they ask nicely on a hot day I let them - however I know that water bottles are often[/q3]
[q3]> > > used as water pistols - especially those sports ones which you can squueze!![/q3]
[q3]> > >[/q3]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> > OK, but you can use ballpoint pens as peashooters, for instance ... do you ban pens? Or, well,[/q2]
[q2]> > shoes can be used for kicking other children on the shins (I've seen it done myself) ... ban[/q2]
[q2]> > shoes? ...[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> > It seems barbaric to me, sorry. I'm all in favour of firm discipline and such, but denying[/q2]
[q2]> > children the possibility of something to drink ... Of course ban drinks like coca cola or other[/q2]
[q2]> > fizzy sugared things. But *water*? What possible reason could there be for banning drinks of[/q2]
[q2]> > water? (I wait with interest to read any suggestions ...)[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> > Bob[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Ok so yes its 'barbaric' but if you allow just water in a secondary school its very hard to stop[/q1]
[q1]> other drinks.[/q1]

I don't think it should be hard to draw a line at a place you think is reasonable. That's one of the
things schools ought to do (parents too, of course). As a NQT, it's probably not up to you ... but I
reckon you have a legitimate complaint against those whose resonsibility it is (the much-vaunted
'senior managers'?) if you're put in a position where you can't draw such a line sensibly.

[q1]> And they aren't denied the chance to drink - they can drink anytime before 8.50, then catch a[/q1]
[q1]> quick drink a hour later - then drink for 20 full minutes at break, then a quick one 1 hour[/q1]
[q1]> later, then another 1 hour lunch break then home time.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> I would like to try having water in my room, however I know I can't trust the children that I[/q1]
[q1]> currently teach not to wreck my room.[/q1]

Again, if this is so, you have grounds for a serious complaint against those whose responsibility it
is to keep order in the school (*not* you as a newly qualified teacher, of course!). Sorting out
things like that must be an absolute priority in any school, as far as I can see. How much learning
can go on if the teacher isn't clearly in charge in the classroom? (A rhetorical question ... answer
pretty much 'none'.) I know that some (bad) headteachers, deputy headteachers and HoD's etc do try
to slough off their resonsibility in such areas, but seriously Jo, you do have the right to expect
those people in your school to help you in this and to establish you as a teacher who can trust
children not to wreck the place ... and to do what you tell them about what they're allowed to drink
in class and so on. You have to play your part, but do remember that it's not your responsibility
(yet!) to sort all that out. Let them who're paid for doing it earn their money at it, is my advice.
Don't let them get away with leaving it to you.

Letting things like that slide is a recipe for an early grave ...

Bob
Clark
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
chay007 wrote:
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Have you ever worked in a Call Centre or other establishments where break time is break time and[/q1]
[q1]> people are sometimes clocked when they go to toilets?[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]

No, I've been lucky enough to avoid that sort of thing, I hope never to have to either. Are you
suggesting that there are some schools (or some classes in some schools) that behave in the same
sort of horrible way? If so, I deplore it with you. (I deplore the call centres too, but that's
perhaps off topic for this ng.)

Bob
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you going to self-release into Clearing?

Yes I've pressed the button (75)
17.24%
No I'm happy with my uni offer (280)
64.37%
Not yet but I am planning to (21)
4.83%
Not yet but I might (59)
13.56%

Watched Threads