This discussion is closed.
alexmac9
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
I'm thinking of taking the following A levels - Physics, ICT, Biology as well as Maths.

I haven't decided yet whether I want to do Further Maths. I enjoy maths a great deal, but I really have no idea what Further maths would involve..

Can someone direct me to a website with information or perhaps tell of their experience.

peace out
RObTRIP
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
single maths a-level is usually a combination of some of the easier pure/mechanics/stats modules, which means people can get away with being crap at one of the 3 "disciplines" and still get a good grade A, however for further maths to get a good grade you gotta be good/well at least understand them.
so if u hate mechanics or stats or pure it ain't for you

i find further maths a level is much much tougher than any of the others i am doing, hope it helps im crap
lukeD
Report 14 years ago
Depends what you want to do at university...

If you want to do Physics, Engineering, Maths etc. I'd really recommend doing further maths. I didn't and I really regret it now.
nas7232
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
physics will help with furthermaths i think, alot of m2-m3 is briefly in the physics edexcel syllabus i think
Gaz031
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by alexmac9)
I'm thinking of taking the following A levels - Physics, ICT, Biology as well as Maths.

I haven't decided yet whether I want to do Further Maths. I enjoy maths a great deal, but I really have no idea what Further maths would involve..

Can someone direct me to a website with information or perhaps tell of their experience.

peace out
Maths: Great provided you work at it. Very simple provided you put in the necessary time and practice (doing all the questions in the book and past papers).

Further Maths: I didn't do this last year but dropped chem and picked up AS+A2 FM as i intend to do Maths at university. It's very enjoyable and you really feel like you're doing something that not a great number of people can do - making learning very rewarding. Even more interesting than standard Maths.

Biology: I do this too and find it interesting, though not as good as maths obviously. You do have to ensure you go into questions thinking to hit the mark scheme points though and it can get a bit dry occasionally.

Physics: This is the one i regret not doing. This will NOT help you with maths. However, the mathematics mechanics modules will help you with physics. It works this way only because the mechanics in maths is more challenging and comprehensive than that seen in physics. Hence, if you do M1-M3, you'll find the mech portions of physics easy. Math aside, i've heard physics is interesting.

ICT: Under no circumstances do this subject. It is extremely tedious and easy. It consists of 4 modules of coursework with 2 modules of exams. You may like computers but the coursework is really boring and simple things like creating a spreadsheet, database or producing documents. The exams are mostly business related and very dry. Don't waste your time with this. Do a different subject.
idiopathic
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Gaz031)

Physics: This will NOT help you with maths. However, the mathematics mechanics modules will help you with physics.
I disagree while maths mech is more challenging, physics will give you a better and deeper understanding in my opinion :p: .
Gaz031
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by lame)
I disagree while maths mech is more challenging, physics will give you a better and deeper understanding in my opinion :p: .
I don't see how that's possible.
My physics friend (who has studied physics SHM, rather than M3 SHM) has no idea how his formula are derived, he only knows v^2=w^2(a^2-x^2), a=-w^2x, Period=2pi/w and x=acoswt/asinwt.
I wouldn't call plugging numbers into formulae a deeper understanding.

That's just my view though
idiopathic
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I don't see how that's possible.
My physics friend (who has studied physics SHM, rather than M3 SHM) has no idea how his formula are derived, he only knows v^2=w^2(a^2-x^2), a=-w^2x, Period=2pi/w and x=acoswt/asinwt.
I wouldn't call plugging numbers into formulae a deeper understanding.

That's just my view though
Maybe it's to do with teaching then?

My physics teacher always derives every formula we use (even if it requires pure maths - eg integration). And i know I'd have definitely found M1 harder (well the basics and any misconceptions) had I not done forces and motion earlier in physics! Also you do practicals in physics :p:
nas7232
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Mechanics modules in maths does not help at all with edexcel physics imo.

Physics will give you a deeper understanding of some aspects of mechanics and therefore, in m1 & m2 the questions will seem very similiar and you could do them without learning them bits via maths. However, projectiles & conversation of momentum turns up in a physics module 1 paper hardly ever. When they do it's very basic stuff. Whereas in m1-m2 they turn up practically every paper. Therefore, imo i would say physics will help with maths.

C2 helps with phy5.
But for mechanics i think it's other way around

idiopathic
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
even if all you get out of physics is remembering formulae -it helps, for me anyway
Gaz031
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
And i know I'd have definitely found M1 harder (well the basics and any misconceptions) had I not done forces and motion earlier in physics!
But if you had done M1 before physics then the physics would have been much easier. It's subjective in the way you order it but the point is that Mech in Math is much more detailed than Mech in physics.

Also you do practicals in physics :p:
Lol. Maybe that lowers stress levels but that really doesn't do anything to help you understand newtonian mechanics.
fernando
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
further maths = regular maths A2 in first year + further pure in second

its good for me because if i want to quit after the first year (which i dont) i already have the maths A2.
ive only had 3-4 lessons in mechanic maths and i dont see many links with physics so far other than UVAST equations...and i do physics btw

suppose they strengthen and support revision in the different subject modules
idiopathic
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by lame)
Maybe it's to do with teaching then?

My physics teacher always derives every formula we use (even if it requires pure maths - eg integration). And i know I'd have definitely found M1 harder (well the basics and any misconceptions) had I not done forces and motion earlier in physics! Also you do practicals in physics :p:
Maybe. You explain more in physics than in maths I think, but mechanics in maths is definitely a lot harder, and conceptually more difficult too.

If I hadn't done physics I wouldn't have known that when considering a stone on the ground, the contact force and the stone's weight are not a pair of Newton III forces. :cool:
SunGod
Report 14 years ago
Physics depends on the exam board.

For Edexcel I've heard it's really easy in comparison to OCR (which is what I'm doing) the person I've asked has done AS OCR but moved college to do AS and A2 Edexcel in one year.

In the OCR syllabus we've done some things from M3 which included some lessons of our teacher showing us how to derive the equations for simple harmonic motion which involved P3? differentiation which we hadn't done before, nice to learn it early though
Syncman
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
ok i do AQA syllabus A, and there is a small link to physics. But none that has really helped me understand physics more. Physics is more remember the formula and stick numbers in there as FM is alot more about having to prove the formulas u use in physics. For example SHM.
Gaz031
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
If I hadn't done physics I wouldn't have known that when considering a stone on the ground, the contact force and the stone's weight are not a pair of Newton III forces. :cool:
I don't see how the core theory is going to help you in maths. On the other hand, fluency with the math will prevent you having to relearn it for physics.
iluvcheesecake
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by alexmac9)

peace out
I'm currently in year 13, and I'm taking Further Maths and really enjoying it. I'd say that if you're enjoying Maths at GCSE, enjoy a challenge and are prepared to put in the work required for 5 subjects then why not go for it.

I think someone said that normally if you're taking further maths, you'll do the whole maths A-level in year 12, and the further maths A-level (or AS if you decide just to do that) in year 13. In each year you'll do 6 modules. About half of them will be pure/core maths and the rest will be stats, mechanics and decision maths (though some schools don't do this). There's quite a variety in the modules so most people tend to choose a particular area they like best.

Anyway, further maths is more stretching than normal maths. It can be hard at times, but that's part of the fun of it , and it's really rewarding when you actually find yourself getting somewhere, though if you aren't really that intrested in maths then it's probably not the best decision to make as it can be easy to lack focus/motivation (as a couple of people in my school have shown).

however you seem to be intrested, so I'd go for it if I were you. It's easier to take on 5 subjects and drop one if you find it too much than to do 4 then start a 5th after the term has begun.
lukeD
Report 14 years ago
ICT: Under no circumstances do this subject. It is extremely tedious and easy. It consists of 4 modules of coursework with 2 modules of exams. You may like computers but the coursework is really boring and simple things like creating a spreadsheet, database or producing documents. The exams are mostly business related and very dry. Don't waste your time with this. Do a different subject.
Couldn't agree more. I would give anything to go back in time and take chem/further maths instead of ICT. :mad:
Taldarion
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I'm in the upper sixth last year and really enjoyed the challenge of further maths. Unfortunatly my schools really new (my years the first to do AS/A2 levels) so they didnt think to let us do the entire maths sylabus in the first year then the entire f. maths sylabus in the second year. To some extent i'm glad they didnt because it gave me a better understanding of slightly higher level mathematics before appling for maths at uni.

Also there's no reason why you have to do 5 A-levels if you chose to do further maths, unless of course you dont have any clue what you want to do afterwards.
DOJO
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Gaz is right, it is **** - I so regret doing it. By the way , as he said ICT is not difficult , but the chances are you could underperform in it , because it is so boring - therefore you will not be motivated to study for it.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (154)
59.46%
No I haven't decided yet (60)
23.17%
Yes but I might change my mind (45)
17.37%

Watched Threads