This discussion is closed.
DOJO
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by lukeD)
Couldn't agree more. I would give anything to go back in time and take chem/further maths instead of ICT. :mad:
If I could I would have chosen Poltics or History instead of ICT. I seriously feel as though I have been conned and violated by spending 2 yrs doing that rubbish. They should seriously scrap it.
alexmac9
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Lol,

Lots of negative posts about ICT A level. I do GCSE ICT and I know what you mean. However I find it ridiculously easy and I have a really cool teacher.

So since the post I've had mixed thoughts - I have the feeling Further Maths might be a little bit above my ability, but I am greatly interested in computers and at the moment I feel I would like to study for example, something like Computer Science at university which I know Further Maths would help with.

So what would be the best idea?
Physics, Biology, Maths, ICT OR
Physics, Biology, Further Maths OR
Physics, Biology, Further Maths, ICT.

Option 1 would be the easiest, but least interesting.
Option 2 would take away ICT c/w which is a bore, but I'd have exchanged it for a harder subject.
Option 3 would be the hardest, require most work but would give me 5 A levels [presuming I don't drop any]

Option 3 takes my fancy at the moment, after all I could always drop a subject - this number would really leave my options open!

How hard is it to take maths A level in one year??

thanks for all the posts btw guys!

peace
DOJO
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by alexmac9)
Lol,

Lots of negative posts about ICT A level. I do GCSE ICT and I know what you mean. However I find it ridiculously easy and I have a really cool teacher.

So since the post I've had mixed thoughts - I have the feeling Further Maths might be a little bit above my ability, but I am greatly interested in computers and at the moment I feel I would like to study for example, something like Computer Science at university which I know Further Maths would help with.

So what would be the best idea?
Physics, Biology, Maths, ICT OR
Physics, Biology, Further Maths OR
Physics, Biology, Further Maths, ICT.

Option 1 would be the easiest, but least interesting.
Option 2 would take away ICT c/w which is a bore, but I'd have exchanged it for a harder subject.
Option 3 would be the hardest, require most work but would give me 5 A levels [presuming I don't drop any]

Option 3 takes my fancy at the moment, after all I could always drop a subject - this number would really leave my options open!

How hard is it to take maths A level in one year??

thanks for all the posts btw guys!

peace
Option 2 .....ICT is just **** , trust Gaz, and whoever else when we say that....It is amazingly boring, it has absolutely nothing to do with computers at all...Instead if you want to become a secretery, then I totally recommend it to you!

Just to put you off even more , I shall tell you in detail how poorly the course is structured:

Coursework - your not allowed to program in Visual Basic - well in my case this was true because I was told to stay at the same level as the other students, which practically meant to be computer illiterate.
The most advanced thing you will ever touch in the coursework in recording macros....hmmmmm interesting!

Exams - boring and ****. I got a C overall for ICT, because I couldn't be arsed to revise for that subject , as it was soo boring. I got an B (AS) A (A2) for my ICT coursework and A* at GCSE - so there you go, that must tell you how **** the subject is if a computer literate dude like me underperformed.
If you do decide to choose ICT, I strongly suggest that you find ways to motivate yourself to do the work, as the classes would often comprise of working out of a **** white book, copying and pasting notes from the book.

If you want to goto a top University and study computer Science I recommend you do the following:

Chemestry, Physics, Maths, Further Maths and Biology - With that combination and good grades you are certain to get into top universities such as Bristol.

Oh yes, I must warn you about ICT exams, the examiners are stingy, if your not concise enough in the exam (even though you made the point but just in different words), they won't give you marks.

SO BEWAREEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
DOJO
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by DOJO)
Option 2 .....ICT is just **** , trust Gaz, and whoever else when we say that....It is amazingly boring, it has absolutely nothing to do with computers at all...Instead if you want to become a secretery, then I totally recommend it to you!

Just to put you off even more , I shall tell you in detail how poorly the course is structured:

Coursework - your not allowed to program in Visual Basic - well in my case this was true because I was told to stay at the same level as the other students, which practically meant to be computer illiterate.
The most advanced thing you will ever touch in the coursework in recording macros....hmmmmm interesting!

Exams - boring and ****. I got a C overall for ICT, because I couldn't be arsed to revise for that subject , as it was soo boring. I got an B (AS) A (A2) for my ICT coursework and A* at GCSE - so there you go, that must tell you how **** the subject is if a computer literate dude like me underperformed.
If you do decide to choose ICT, I strongly suggest that you find ways to motivate yourself to do the work, as the classes would often comprise of working out of a **** white book, copying and pasting notes from the book.

If you want to goto a top University and study computer Science I recommend you do the following:

Chemestry, Physics, Maths, Further Maths and Biology - With that combination and good grades you are certain to get into top universities such as Bristol.

Oh yes, I must warn you about ICT exams, the examiners are stingy, if your not concise enough in the exam (even though you made the point but just in different words), they won't give you marks.

SO BEWAREEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

Oh yeah I forgot to mention, the reason why I got an A at A2, but a B at AS, is because if you do decide to do AL ICT, even if you create the best ever system ever (like I did) for both my projects , they really don't care unless your paper work meets all of the specs in the coursework booklet.

So, my advice is if you do ICT, don't get all creative with your system, just do whats neccessary - if they want 6 queries for your Access database, then just do that , but dont make your system amazingly brilliant unneccessary as it just means more work for you - and the likely hood is , your mate with the ****ter system but met all of the criteria would get more marks even if it is technically poorer.

Thats was why I got higher in my A2 c/w....yet I just spent in total 2 days doing it from scratch before the deadline which is funny as I spent a month creating my AS coursework to get a B!!!....

P.S.

GCSE ICT is still tolerable, Alevel ICT is GCSE ICT recycled about 10 times.
alexmac9
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Hey DOJO,

Thanks for the advice, I feel your pain about ICT, even though I'm only at GCSE, perhaps it wouldn't be such a great idea after all...

With regards to your subject suggestions; I detest Chemistry! There's just no way I'm going to do it for A level.

So perhaps I should just stick with Physics Biology and Further Maths...

Oh and by the way, Computer Science was just an example. Can anyone else recommend any other computer related courses for someone who is highly interested in computers and technology as a whole. I'd start a new thread, but I'm fairly sure a good number of people browsing the Maths forum could give som e advice...
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (123)
65.43%
No I haven't decided yet (39)
20.74%
Yes but I might change my mind (26)
13.83%

Watched Threads