The Student Room Group

Preauricular sinus

Does anyone have a preauricular sinus or ever heard of one, would like to know about your experience?
Preauricular sinuses (ear pits) are common congenital abnormalities. Usually asymptomatic, they manifest as small dells adjacent to the external ear near the anterior margin of the ascending limb of the helix, most frequently on the right side. Preauricular sinuses can be either inherited or sporadic.

Are preauricular sinus harmful...
The main problem with preauricular pits, if they appear in an otherwise healthy child, is that they can lead to benign cysts or infections, including small pus-filled masses known as abscesses. When a child gets repeat infections, a surgeon may recommend complete removal of the pit.

I only heard about it while working on a ENT/ Maxillofacial ward as part of my student adult nursing.

Original post by Anonymous
Does anyone have a preauricular sinus or ever heard of one, would like to know about your experience?
Original post by Littleemma98
Preauricular sinuses (ear pits) are common congenital abnormalities. Usually asymptomatic, they manifest as small dells adjacent to the external ear near the anterior margin of the ascending limb of the helix, most frequently on the right side. Preauricular sinuses can be either inherited or sporadic.

The main problem with preauricular pits, if they appear in an otherwise healthy child, is that they can lead to benign cysts or infections, including small pus-filled masses known as abscesses. When a child gets repeat infections, a surgeon may recommend complete removal of the pit.

I only heard about it while working on a ENT/ Maxillofacial ward as part of my student adult nursing.

thank you for replying ☺️
I have preauricular sinus on both of my ears. I was hoping to hear of someone else's experience, as one of mine was recently infected and I'll be having an appointment in a few weeks to discuss it further
Original post by Littleemma98

Good google searching, well done!
Good google searching, well done!

Actually called using the NHS website for some information if unsure of things........
thank you for replying ☺️
I have preauricular sinus on both of my ears. I was hoping to hear of someone else's experience, as one of mine was recently infected and I'll be having an appointment in a few weeks to discuss it further

Sorry I can't be any more helpful to you but hopefully everything will be fine with your appointment in coming weeks as they will give you the best information they can do for you okay.

Hopefully someone who has similar issues as yourself will give you there experience on this.

Quick Reply