The Student Room Group

Uni halls as a maturer student?

Hi,

I'm looking to potentially go to UWE Bristol to do Paramedic Science in September and was looking into accommodation options. I'm turning 29 shortly and am slightly concerned halls may be suited for younger students. Without sounding like a miserable old man, I imagine halls can be party-frequent and loud which is certainly less desirable at my age, although I do still like a party!

The campus and accommodation are mostly for healthcare/social care students so the age range might vary more in my favor however, has anyone got any experience with uni halls and how it was/could be for a mature student?

Thanks!
I can sympathise with your plight, you might want to look at their options for studio flats, as they might be in a quieter hall and typically they prioritise mature students for those. You could also see if they have any accommodation aimed at postgrads and mature undergrads - usually they will have the former, but the latter aren't always included in them. But they might be, so worth investigating that as an option. Also look for "dry" halls, which are designed to be alcohol free and thus tend to attract students who are less likely to be holding house parties all night - although not all unis have these.

Your other option is to look at private rentals in the area and find somewhere to stay which is more aligned to your expectations. Often postgrads will be living in private accommodation and may have rooms coming up as people finish their courses, and they would probably be happy to have a mature undergrad join them.
Original post by sjp33
Hi,

I'm looking to potentially go to UWE Bristol to do Paramedic Science in September and was looking into accommodation options. I'm turning 29 shortly and am slightly concerned halls may be suited for younger students. Without sounding like a miserable old man, I imagine halls can be party-frequent and loud which is certainly less desirable at my age, although I do still like a party!

The campus and accommodation are mostly for healthcare/social care students so the age range might vary more in my favor however, has anyone got any experience with uni halls and how it was/could be for a mature student?

Thanks!

Valid concerns. Do you really want to be living with a load of, essentially, children - many of whom will be away from home for the first time? The screaming and shouting, the constant dramas and arguments?

Look for private rented accommodation, either provided by the university or on the regular rental market. I would have thought sharing a house with professionals was far preferable to living in a nursery.
Reply 3
Original post by artful_lounger
I can sympathise with your plight, you might want to look at their options for studio flats, as they might be in a quieter hall and typically they prioritise mature students for those. You could also see if they have any accommodation aimed at postgrads and mature undergrads - usually they will have the former, but the latter aren't always included in them. But they might be, so worth investigating that as an option. Also look for "dry" halls, which are designed to be alcohol free and thus tend to attract students who are less likely to be holding house parties all night - although not all unis have these.

Your other option is to look at private rentals in the area and find somewhere to stay which is more aligned to your expectations. Often postgrads will be living in private accommodation and may have rooms coming up as people finish their courses, and they would probably be happy to have a mature undergrad join them.

Thanks, I've dropped them a message as their accommodations page doesn't show too much until applications open. They do have alcohol-free accommodation though which I'm swaying towards. I do like the occasional beer though and it sounds like it's 0 tolerance understandably. But this is probably a small price to pay to avoid the drama and have relatively quiet surroundings.

I'll look into both of these options, thanks :smile:
Hey I'm older than you, same uni, same campus, and I'm concerned too. But I'm worried about not staying in campus accomodation just incase it puts me at a disadvantage in terms of having easy access to lectures and resources. So, not really sure what to do either.
Reply 5
Original post by Celiamood
Hey I'm older than you, same uni, same campus, and I'm concerned too. But I'm worried about not staying in campus accomodation just incase it puts me at a disadvantage in terms of having easy access to lectures and resources. So, not really sure what to do either.

Oh cool! Yeah it also just seems like a lot less pressure and easier to arrange for the first year, especially as it’s a big move (for me anyway haha).

I did email the uni and they said they try and group mature students together as well as other factors such as gender ideally. So it seems less likely it’ll be 18 year olds in our halls but the surrounding ones could be, meaning loud music and late nights perhaps! I think I’ll likely risk it, or perhaps go for alcohol free halls which you might also be interested in as an alternative :smile:.
Original post by sjp33
Oh cool! Yeah it also just seems like a lot less pressure and easier to arrange for the first year, especially as it’s a big move (for me anyway haha).

I did email the uni and they said they try and group mature students together as well as other factors such as gender ideally. So it seems less likely it’ll be 18 year olds in our halls but the surrounding ones could be, meaning loud music and late nights perhaps! I think I’ll likely risk it, or perhaps go for alcohol free halls which you might also be interested in as an alternative :smile:.

Oh that's good! I've got no problem with 18 year olds, just I'm sure we wouldn't match personality wise for living together. The campus advertised itself as being respectful and quiet, since all the students are allied healthcare students, and aware that others will be doing night shifts. Hopefully that's true :smile:
I don't have experience with that uni, but I stayed in halls at 28/29 and had a great time! It really depends on who you end up with, but most of the people I shared the kitchen with were in their 20s and we ended up being great friends. I've also talked to people who didn't really click with whoever they lived with, but that can happen at any age, and you can always move out!
Reply 8
Original post by april.may.june
I don't have experience with that uni, but I stayed in halls at 28/29 and had a great time! It really depends on who you end up with, but most of the people I shared the kitchen with were in their 20s and we ended up being great friends. I've also talked to people who didn't really click with whoever they lived with, but that can happen at any age, and you can always move out!

This is good to hear, thank you!
Reply 9
Howdy, hope you're well. I was in exactly the same position as you in September 2021. I was 36 at the time of starting university, and was struggling to living in my social housing flat due to homophobic hate crime, by which i received no support from my local council. However, my university offered me student accommodation and advised me it would be a mixture of ages, how wrong was I?When I moved in to the accommodation I was living on Uni Campus in a house where you have your own room but share bathroom and kitchen. I shared with 10 females aging between 18 -21 and 1 other 18 year old male. I really struggled if I am completely honest with you as I have done the whole

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending